PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Motorway tailgating and strange indicator light flashing sequence – what does it mean?
King Cut
post Thu, 8 Jul 2010 - 01:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,831

I was tailgated on the M4 earlier today in lane 3 at about 85mph, I put the brakes on and slowed to about 55, then I saw the tailgaters indicator lights flashing in some strange rapid sequence, like a - left-right left-right and left again.

Not the first time I've seen strange rapid indicator light flashing, about 5 years ago, a Merc in front of me tailgating another car late at night did a similar thing - did a short rapid secuence of flashing indicator lights, and five minutes later I saw the car pulled over to the hard-shoulder by police.

Whats with this flashing indicator lights?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Thu, 8 Jul 2010 - 01:09
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
strollingplayer
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 02:23
Post #21

Member No.: 23,506

If the other two lanes were both full, slowing down was probably the correct course of action - maintained space between you and the car in front. IMO, the obligation to move over for faster traffic does not apply to those exceeding the speed limit. If you're in lane 3 at ~70mph, then surely there can be no faster traffic, therefore you cannot possibly be obstructing anything that isn't on blues and twos (and therefore exempt from most restrictions).

--------------------
The content of this post, of any replies to it, and of any preceding it, may be soliciting, or be in response to a solitication for advice as to the formulation of a strategy for action in a legal process. This post, any replies and those preceding, should therefore be assumed to be subject to privilege.

Aims of challenging a council PCN

Stroller v local council: 2 accepted, 1 bottled, 1 win, 2 awaiting council's decision.

I reserve the right to be wrong. This applies to any part of this post, including this signature.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 05:15
Post #22

Member No.: 9,683

Sorry Strolling Player, but the outside lane 9lane 3) is for overtaking. I agree with your comment about slowing down being the correct course of action in this case maybe, very wise, BUT there's been cases of drivers being nicked by the BiB for obstructing lane 3 by driving at 70 in lane 3 to regulate the speed of those wishing to break the law and travel faster than 70. That reasoning doesn't hold water.

There may have been an emergency vehicle a few cars back and the cars in front had to speed up to find a gap to pull into. you never know, but then none of us has the right to obstruct the way of another, no matter how fast they may be going.

+Quote Post
strollingplayer
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 06:44
Post #23

QUOTE (roythebus @ Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 06:15) *
Sorry Strolling Player, but the outside lane 9lane 3) is for overtaking. I agree with your comment about slowing down being the correct course of action in this case maybe, very wise, BUT there's been cases of drivers being nicked by the BiB for obstructing lane 3 by driving at 70 in lane 3 to regulate the speed of those wishing to break the law and travel faster than 70. That reasoning doesn't hold water.

If you're not able to overtake the vehicle in lane 1 at 70, quite rightly you shouldn't be in lane 2, but if the motorway is busy and you are still proceeding faster than the vehicles in lane 1, you are overtaking, and therefore have every right to be in lane 2, regardless of the speed of the vehicle behind you. Lather, rinse, and repeat until you run out of lanes.

There may have been an emergency vehicle a few cars back and the cars in front had to speed up to find a gap to pull into.

That would seem to me to be poor form - if there's an emergency vehicle on blue lights, you make space for it. If you're in lane 2 (of 3), you slow down to allow drivers in lane 3 to move out of the way. Though frequently I've seen emergency vehicles on the hard shoulder.

you never know, but then none of us has the right to obstruct the way of another, no matter how fast they may be going.

If you're at 70, you're not obstructing anyone. Being in lane 3 when you could be in lane 2 is another issue entirely.

--------------------
The content of this post, of any replies to it, and of any preceding it, may be soliciting, or be in response to a solitication for advice as to the formulation of a strategy for action in a legal process. This post, any replies and those preceding, should therefore be assumed to be subject to privilege.

Stroller v local council: 2 accepted, 1 bottled, 1 win, 2 awaiting council's decision.

I reserve the right to be wrong. This applies to any part of this post, including this signature.

+Quote Post
JagDriver
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 11:21
Post #24

Member No.: 20,605

So you have the right to administer the law then?

+Quote Post
nomadros
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 12:05
Post #25

Member No.: 11,089

QUOTE (strollingplayer @ Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 03:23) *
If you're in lane 3 at ~70mph, then surely there can be no faster traffic, therefore you cannot possibly be obstructing anything that isn't on blues and twos (and therefore exempt from most restrictions).

This is the sort of stupid w*****ish attitude that causes crashes. If someone comes up behind you, then they are going faster than you. You need to stay left as far as practicable. Whether the person behind you is exceeding the speed limit or not is not your call.

By your actions you will cause that person to probably undertake you or be extremely p*ssed off or both and that is bad for road safety.

Actions such as brake stabbing, lane hogging and a "holier than though" attitude cause crashes; understanding what's going on around you, being courteous and adapting your driving to the conditions does not cause crashes. Simples!

You don't drive a 3 series BMW do you?

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 12:51
Post #26

Member No.: 3,385

QUOTE (nomadros @ Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 13:05) *
This is the sort of stupid w*****ish attitude that causes crashes. If someone comes up behind you, then they are going faster than you. You need to stay left as far as practicable. Whether the person behind you is exceeding the speed limit or not is not your call.

You don't drive a 3 series BMW do you?

I couldn't agree more other than to add or a VW Passat?

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
JagDriver
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 14:22
Post #27

or anything by Audi

+Quote Post
4by4
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 14:30
Post #28

Member No.: 28,965

If you're in lane 3 at ~70mph, then surely there can be no faster traffic, therefore you cannot possibly be obstructing anything that isn't on blues and twos (and therefore exempt from most restrictions).

I take it from this you do have a calibrated speedometer so you can be sure you actually are doing 70?

It is people with your attitude that cause accidents and delays on roads that would otherwise be more freely flowing and safer for everyone.

+Quote Post
JagDriver
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 15:00
Post #29

Also you are unlikely to get pulled even at 79 mph

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 15:34
Post #30

Member No.: 18,483

Bugger me, the judgmental brigade are out in force today, eh? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 15:53
Post #31

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

First thread I've read where the bus drivers were accusing BMW and Audi drivers of driving at the speed limit, though. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
captain swoop
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 16:14
Post #32

Member No.: 18,956

I saw a white van using the inside lane on the A1 today so anything is possible.

+Quote Post
MartinHP71
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 16:41
Post #33

Member No.: 6,622

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 17:14) *
I saw a white van using the inside lane on the A1 today so anything is possible.

Now you are really stretching the imagination of the thread !!!! Santa Claus exists .. but a careful driving White Van Man .. nawwwww biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (no offence transit man )

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Fri, 9 Jul 2010 - 19:09
Post #34

Thanks for the compliment Freddddd. lol.

+Quote Post
strollingplayer
post Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 05:41
Post #35

If someone comes up behind you, then they are going faster than you.

Point being? Right-hand lanes are for overtaking. If the slower vehicle in front of you is overtaking slower vehicles to their left, they're entitled to be in that lane regardless of what speed you're doing.

By your actions you will cause that person to probably undertake you or be extremely p*ssed off or both and that is bad for road safety.

If there were some bizarre leap of logic that would somehow make my safe, responsible and legal driving responsible for the accidents your unsafe, irresponsible and illegal driving causes, how would I avoid it? Should I drive less safely, less responsibly, or less legally?

--------------------

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 05:49
Post #36

The point being if you're overtaking, and someone approaches you from behind, the obvious thing to do is move left when safe and clear to do so and let them pass safely. Don't hog lane 3 (or lane 2 for that matter).

+Quote Post
strollingplayer
post Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 06:44
Post #37

QUOTE (roythebus @ Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 06:49) *
The point being if you're overtaking, and someone approaches you from behind, the obvious thing to do is move left when safe and clear to do so and let them pass safely. Don't hog lane 3 (or lane 2 for that matter).

Who said anything about hogging the lane?

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 07:30
Post #38

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

The question appears to be what constitutes 'overtaking' (for the purposes of whether or not you should be in that lane).

In general, if you aren't going to reach the next car on your inside in the next 10 seconds, you are not overtaking. If you are holding up faster traffic, you're being a tw*t if you're in the outside lane. If you are not holding up faster traffic, you should avoid unnecessary lane changes.

The exception to this, is that if you are in a queue of traffic (whether doing 15 mph or 115 mph) and cannot go any faster due to the queue of traffic ahead of you, you are not really holding up faster traffic.

If you find changing lanes difficult because you have problems with spatial awareness, or because everything just happens too fast, either stick to the inside lane, or get off the f**king road.

--------------------
Andy

Millenial (noun): a person who is offended at being told "Suck it up, buttercup"

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 09:55
Post #39

Sounds about right Andy!

+Quote Post
wobblyBiker
post Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 10:52
Post #40

Member No.: 22,552

QUOTE (strollingplayer @ Sat, 10 Jul 2010 - 06:41) *
If someone comes up behind you, then they are going faster than you.

Point being? Right-hand lanes are for overtaking. If the slower vehicle in front of you is overtaking slower vehicles to their left, they're entitled to be in that lane regardless of what speed you're doing.

If there were some bizarre leap of logic that would somehow make my safe, responsible and legal driving responsible for the accidents your unsafe, irresponsible and illegal driving causes, how would I avoid it? Should I drive less safely, less responsibly, or less legally?

Um but your driving isn't safe if you are deliberatly causing someone else to brake when they didn't need to. In fact I believe you are guilty of driving dangerously. Who are you claiming your driving is responsible for? If its you, you are putting yourself at risk by hoping that another driver will react in the fashion you expect when you deliberately endanger yourself seems to be the definition of irresponsibility. "I put my safety into the hands of a person who is already (im my opinion) breaking the law and driving recklessly, despite being able to avoid the situation entirely."

Driving at the speed limit has no bearing whatsoever on whether your driving is safe.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 14th August 2018 - 11:08
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.