PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lane Discipline, About time something was done
Broadsman
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,735

Driving home today, I spent about 150 miles on the motorway network.

Apart from one driver who insisted on doing 48mph in lane 3, of 4, and was oblivious to everything around him, most others were travelling around the 65mph mark, regardless of the lane they were in. Lane discipline was appalling by the majority of those on the road, me included as I used the left lanes to pass traffic travelling slower than I was. As they were travelling slower and I wasn't breaking the speed limit, was I wrong? Highway code says you can pass on the left if the lane to the right is travelling slower.

Undertaking is illegal but should it be?

Except around junctions, I can see no reason why passing on the left should not be made legal.

Along with the MLOC, you get those that will sit in the right hand lane and refuse to move, there could be a mile to the next object on the inner lanes but they won't move and they will continue to drive at a speed below the limit, refusing those that want to drive faster the opportunity to pass.

A couple of weeks ago I followed 3 cars for 28 miles, they sat in the right lane on the dual carriageway at 66mph. Long gaps appeared in the left lane so I went up the inside and passed two of them, the third though, not a chance. Each time I tried, he increased speed and as soon as I backed off he would, but then slow down more.

I know I'm wrong for wanting to get to places and not break the speed limit in doing so. I know I'm wrong for passing others on the left but what other options are left, except sitting behind something that refuses to move to the left or speed up?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:21
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (Broadsman @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:17) *

Is it?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:31
Post #3

Member No.: 317

The latest versions of the HC have had stronger wording against passing on the left than previously.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Broadsman
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:35
Post #4

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:21) *

Is it?

Is it not?

Highway Code Rule 268.

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:49
Post #5

Member No.: 86,040

That is simply advice in the HC. As noted in the HC requirements use phrasing involving the word must.

Undertaking is a bit like prostitution. Legal in inself but sometimes difficult to achieve and stay on the right side of the law.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:06
Post #6

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (Broadsman @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:35) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:21) *

Is it?

Is it not?

Highway Code Rule 268.

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

There's no specific offence of undertaking, no.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:26
Post #7

Member No.: 10,873

Driving home today, I spent about 150 miles on the motorway network.

Apart from one driver who insisted on doing 48mph in lane 3, of 4, and was oblivious to everything around him, most others were travelling around the 65mph mark, regardless of the lane they were in. Lane discipline was appalling by the majority of those on the road, me included as I used the left lanes to pass traffic travelling slower than I was. As they were travelling slower and I wasn't breaking the speed limit, was I wrong? Highway code says you can pass on the left if the lane to the right is travelling slower.

Except around junctions, I can see no reason why passing on the left should not be made legal.

Along with the MLOC, you get those that will sit in the right hand lane and refuse to move, there could be a mile to the next object on the inner lanes but they won't move and they will continue to drive at a speed below the limit, refusing those that want to drive faster the opportunity to pass.

A couple of weeks ago I followed 3 cars for 28 miles, they sat in the right lane on the dual carriageway at 66mph. Long gaps appeared in the left lane so I went up the inside and passed two of them, the third though, not a chance. Each time I tried, he increased speed and as soon as I backed off he would, but then slow down more.

I know I'm wrong for wanting to get to places and not break the speed limit in doing so. I know I'm wrong for passing others on the left but what other options are left, except sitting behind something that refuses to move to the left or speed up?

When faced with an arsole blocking a lane you have several choices

You can do as the book suggests and let them know you are there in hope they realize their mistake and do what they should do and move over.The problem is it rarely works and the cocks then usually take it upon themselves to get up to all sorts of dangerous antics and then a road rage situation often arises.All for the sake of moving their steering wheel half and inch to the left and showing a little courtesy to others.The thing is many will look at their speedo and think they are saving the world by purposely preventing you making reasonable progress.Try the same behavior in a supermarket and see where it gets you,but this by some seems reasonable behavior while in a locked vehicle.The only time ive seen the police address this serious issue is when it directly involves them being affected and that is why its grown to be not only rife but the cause of many accidents and incidents.

Or you can as i do just keep back and look for an opening to find any way past them that you can.These people have very dangerous attitudes and your better off away from them as fast as you can.
Sometimes pulling back into the left lane can cause them to do what sheep do and follow giving you the opportunity then to make your escape before they realize they have been duped.

Faced with a dangerous lane hogger ill take my chances of being done for 'safely' passing on the inside any day of the week.

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:31) *
The latest versions of the HC have had stronger wording against passing on the left than previously.

Such as?

Has it also altered the basics,that state, drive on the left unless overtaking?

This post has been edited by fedup2: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:28

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 18:05
Post #8

Member No.: 16,671

The quieter times show it up the most I think.

On 4 lane stretches I often find I'm the only vehicle in lane one, for as far as I can see, in front or behind.

Processions in 2 and odd cars out in 3 and 4 with nothing at all inside.

Sail past 'em all.

--------------------
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:30) *
Neil is good at working backwards.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 19:51
Post #9

Member No.: 74,048

M25 is stupid

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 20:32
Post #10

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 17:26) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 16:31) *

Such as?

Has it also altered the basics,that state, drive on the left unless overtaking?

Such as the fact it now sais do not overtake on the left.

Nope it hasn't changed that bit.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Mr Meldrew
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 21:59
Post #11

Member No.: 79,151

I would suggest that an argument against undertaking is the increased risk of a vehicle moving left to undertake while another is moving right to overtake colliding in the same central lane.

--------------------
I do tend to have a bee in my bonnet re failing to consider and fairness

+Quote Post
mickR
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 23:37
Post #12

Member No.: 9,919

QUOTE (Mr Meldrew @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 22:59) *
I would suggest that an argument against undertaking is the increased risk of a vehicle moving left to undertake while another is moving right to overtake colliding in the same central lane.

Unlikely scenario as the middle lane will already be full of MLOC pillocks drivers

+Quote Post
Broadsman
post Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 12:03
Post #13

OK,

So the majority have picked up on the "passing on the left" but how do we overcome this problem which is only getting worse.

I think we should all have a cannon on the front of our vehicles. 3 shots, no rearming, unless you can show that the vehicle that was dealt with was in the way for at least 60 seconds prior to being removed.

I'm sure it would rectify the situation overnight, if it ever got as far as the evening. smile.gif

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 12:09
Post #14

Member No.: 38,559

Lane Discipline has become as great an oxymoron as Military Intelligence or Political Integrity.

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 13:35
Post #15

QUOTE (Broadsman @ Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 13:03) *
OK,

So the majority have picked up on the "passing on the left" but how do we overcome this problem which is only getting worse.

I think we should all have a cannon on the front of our vehicles. 3 shots, no rearming, unless you can show that the vehicle that was dealt with was in the way for at least 60 seconds prior to being removed.

I'm sure it would rectify the situation overnight, if it ever got as far as the evening. smile.gif

The answer is very simple,visible police cars.Its not that the presence isnt there,but its all gone cloak and dagger.The problem with plain cars is they affect the driving of just one driver,a visible car DOES affect the behavior of thousands.The hoggers magically just melt away.

This post has been edited by fedup2: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 13:35

+Quote Post
SatNavSam
post Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 14:50
Post #16

Member No.: 55,802

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 14:35) *
OK,

The answer is very simple,visible police cars.Its not that the presence isnt there,but its all gone cloak and dagger.The problem with plain cars is they affect the driving of just one driver,a visible car DOES affect the behavior of thousands.The hoggers magically just melt away.

Very true FU2, but you are missing the point of plain cars: Revenue generation. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 15:40
Post #17

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (SatNavSam @ Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 15:50) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 2 Oct 2017 - 14:35) *
OK,

Very true FU2, but you are missing the point of plain cars: Revenue generation. cool.gif

How does that work?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 3 Oct 2017 - 07:56
Post #18

It works in the insulated minds of the tinfoil hat brigade.

Truth is you need marked cars (which only improve matters when they are in sight anyway) and unmarked with the implied threat you could be in sight of one and not know it, in fact on that basis of course unmarked are MORE effective than marked. Still lets not let logic get in the way of illogical preconceptions.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
typefish
post Tue, 3 Oct 2017 - 09:42
Post #19

Member No.: 69,758

Drove about 200 miles back from Holiday yesterday - this once again re-affirmed my belief that most UK drivers are hopeless.

Could have played a game of cricket on Lane 1 of a very congested motorway...

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Tue, 3 Oct 2017 - 10:13
Post #20

QUOTE (typefish @ Tue, 3 Oct 2017 - 10:42) *
Drove about 200 miles back from Holiday yesterday - this once again re-affirmed my belief that most UK drivers are hopeless.

Could have played a game of cricket on Lane 1 of a very congested motorway...

I would disagree,many are useless but much of it is just plain bad attitude.This isnt just contained to people in cars you only need to read the internet to get an idea how angry many people are nowadays,being in the safety of a locked car has become one way of venting it on other innocent motorists around them.Many just treating the roads as a 'game'.
Society is really going in the wrong direction for me.Even cars used to have happy faces,but now they are snarls and clear sad faces.Negativity is being pumped at a fast rate 24 hours a day,if you let it.I went to a friends yesterday and had to sit while their tv was on,and it just pumped wall to wall misery,nothing but death,violence and misery.

There isnt one thing to blame its many things and its not a certain group of drivers its from all walks of life of all ages and experiences.Its common to see older people who drove for many years in the correct lanes doing things right,who have now switched to not using the left lanes whatsoever from the point of joining the road to the point they get off it,empty or not,moving for nothing or no one and if prompted you get nothing but aggression. My question is what made them start to do that?

Maybe someone here is one of them and can tell me because it confuses the hell out of me.Im pretty old school,but i still value the wave over the finger.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:14
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here