Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Name on NIP is 'wrong', Threads merged x3
aspar
post Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 17:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,310

Got NIP in post.

Addressed to my business's trading name with no persons name on it. ie "Greenshoots Gardening" as opposed to "David Smith".

It's sole trader business as opposed to a limited company.

Do I need to respond??

It says in big capitals : To be completed by the addressee only....I'm not the addressee.

Can I get an employee to reply for the business??

If I don't respond can they issue a s172 against me personally [even though I'm not named on the NIP]????

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 17:32
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 17:36
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

Presumably your vehicle is registered to your (unincorporated?) business?

I'd be wary of saying it's not addressed to you, if your business is no more than "Joe Bloggs trading as Joe Bloggs Builders".

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 17:45
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

Who holds the v5?

What's the NIP for?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 18:22
Post #4

Member No.: 36,528

QUOTE (aspar @ Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 17:32) *
Got NIP in post. Addressed to my business's trading name with no persons name on it. ie "Greenshoots Gardening" as opposed to "David Smith". It's sole trader business as opposed to a limited company.

If the sole trader is you, David Smith, and you are trading as Greenshoots Gardening, then the NIP is addressed to your trading name, ie to you. See Companies House guidance LINK Section 9:

Business names

A ‘business name’ is any name under which someone carries on business. In the case of a company or limited liability partnership, it means a name that is not its registered name. In the case of a sole trader, it means a name other than a surname with or without forenames or initials. In the case of a partnership, it means a name other than the partners’ names.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aspar
post Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 09:54
Post #5

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 18:36) *
Presumably your vehicle is registered to your (unincorporated?) business?

I'd be wary of saying it's not addressed to you, if your business is no more than "Joe Bloggs trading as Joe Bloggs Builders".

No, the vehicle is registered to a separate limited company.

Thanks

QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 18:45) *
Who holds the v5?

What's the NIP for?

A separate limited company holds the V5 [they must have used the insurance database to send the NIP to me]

NIP is for 38 in a 30.

Thanks

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:00
Post #6

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (aspar @ Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 09:54) *
A separate limited company holds the V5 [they must have used the insurance database to send the NIP to me]

Is the NIP name and address the same as is on the V5?

--------------------

+Quote Post
aspar
post Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:17
Post #7

QUOTE (peterguk @ Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 12:00) *

No...as I say they must have used the insurance database for the name on the NIP as that name is not the name on the v5.

So...NIP and v5 have different names and addresses on them.

This post has been edited by aspar: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:18

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:23
Post #8

QUOTE (aspar @ Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:17) *
QUOTE (peterguk @ Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 12:00) *

No...as I say they must have used the insurance database for the name on the NIP as that name is not the name on the v5.

So...NIP and v5 have different names and addresses on them.

So is this the first NIP?

Why would the Police choose to ignore the info held by DVLA and find a different name and address?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:26
Post #9

In the first instance they would almost certainly have sent the 1st NIP to the registered keeper. The RK may have responded or not - do you know?

It's possible the MIB was used at some point. But this is perhaps distraction from the core point about naming the driver.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:27

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:31
Post #10

Member No.: 317

Is it registered to the limited company or to a finance/lease company?

Do you have the actual V5C (reg doc)?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
aspar
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 09:45
Post #11

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 15 Mar 2017 - 11:31) *
Is it registered to the limited company or to a finance/lease company?

Do you have the actual V5C (reg doc)?

I have the v5 but it's still in the name of the previous owner [a limited company, not a finance/lease company]...who probably replied saying it was sold [but not to me]. So the police have probably gone to the MIB and got my details.

My main question was about the NIP saying 'must be completed by addressee only'....and the name [addressee] on it is not my name [or is it??].

The reason I'm asking is that by not replying [or replying asking for the NIP to be re-issued with my name on it??] I might be able to run the clock down so that it goes past the six month mark

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 10:50
Post #12

Member No.: 18,483

The "business name" could reply naming the driver, who would then get their own s 172 notice. It is possible that a court would find that the notice was addressed to you, albeit calling you by your trading as name.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 12:31
Post #13

Member No.: 23,623

Forgive me if I've missed it but this has become a bit convoluted. What relationship (if any) currently exists between you and the name on the NIP?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 12:56
Post #14

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 12:31) *
Forgive me if I've missed it but this has become a bit convoluted. What relationship (if any) currently exists between you and the name on the NIP?

Some clues here:
QUOTE (aspar @ Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 09:45) *
I have the v5 but it's still in the name of the previous owner [a limited company, not a finance/lease company]...who probably replied saying it was sold [but not to me]. So the police have probably gone to the MIB and got my details.

My main question was about the NIP saying 'must be completed by addressee only'....and the name [addressee] on it is not my name [or is it??].

The reason I'm asking is that by not replying [or replying asking for the NIP to be re-issued with my name on it??] I might be able to run the clock down so that it goes past the six month mark

It may be your 'main' question but at best there's been some lack of admin, at worst there's potential for some very serious offences.

How to answer your question depends on the situation which remains unclear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aspar
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 15:57
Post #15

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 12:31) *

Sorry if it's unclear.

The name on the NIP is that of my sole trader business name [eg GreenGardening Services].

To be clear.....I am David Smith. I have a business [sole trader not limited company] called GreenGardening Services. The name on the NIP is GreenGardening Services.

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 12:56) *
It may be your 'main' question but at best there's been some lack of admin, at worst there's potential for some very serious offences.

How to answer your question depends on the situation which remains unclear.

I accept what you say.

Which bit of my situation as I've explained it is unclear, and I'll try to clarify.

btw - Thanks for all the great advice from all the good people on here.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 15:58
Post #16

Then the NIP is effectively addressed to you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gan
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 16:09
Post #17

Member No.: 27,239

Return the S172 in the name of Green Gardening Services
That will eliminate any risk of a prosecution if the police believe GGS passed it to the driver to complete

You will then receive a request in your personal name

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 16:16
Post #18

I have the v5 but it's still in the name of the previous owner

Whilst the issue is fresh in your mind, don't forget to change owner detasils on V5C.

QUOTE (Gan @ Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 16:09) *
Return the S172 in the name of Green Gardening Services
That will eliminate any risk of a prosecution if the police believe GGS passed it to the driver to complete

Or reply and sign as David Smith T/A GGS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 16:18
Post #19

QUOTE (Gan @ Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 16:09) *

...or whoever is nominated as the driver will receive a request.

But back to the leading question:

QUOTE (aspar @ Tue, 14 Mar 2017 - 17:32) *
If I don't respond can they issue a s172 against me personally [even though I'm not named on the NIP]????

...as a sole trader is not a body corporate then I believe they could pursue personally.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 - 16:20

--------------------

+Quote Post
aspar
post Fri, 28 Apr 2017 - 15:56
Post #20

I returned a completed NIP four and a half months after the date of the alleged offence [no s172 issues before anyone asks]

What happens now...esp with regards timescales....

Do they send me out a conditional offer letter [28 days to return it...or is it only 14??]...that takes me to 5.5 months...nearly six....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 09:47
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here