PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Caught on Police Speed Gun, Caught in 40mph dual carriageway by Police speed gun doing 71mph
Flywithmeforfree
post Sat, 13 Jan 2018 - 14:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 95,950

This afternoon, I was caught doing 71mph in a 40mph dual carriageway. It was near a school, but it’s a Saturday and schools out. The roads and weather were clear and visibility was high. It was about 1pm.

I was pulled over by Police showing me the 71mph on their gun at 181 metres when they clocked me.

I have a clean licence, however, I have 3 points pending on my licence from November 2017 that I am looking to appeal. Currently, my licence is clean.

The question is:

1. Am I facing a ban?
2. At the time of the offence (today) I am unemployed, however, I may start a job next week, if it goes to caught will the additional 31mph I was driving at be subject to the income related fine when it goes to court.
3. Are they any mitigating circumstances I can apply to the case or think about to avoid the fine or the ban/points?

Thanks for your help

This post has been edited by Flywithmeforfree: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 - 15:01
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jlc
post Sat, 13 Jan 2018 - 21:21
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

It is almost always safer to brake than accelerate. There doesn't appear to be a defence of duress and if the police won"t use discretion then going to court could be risky. I presume you have a fixed penalty offer? (What about a course?)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sat, 20 Jan 2018 - 21:49
Post #3

Member No.: 90,659

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sat, 13 Jan 2018 - 21:21) *
It is almost always safer to brake than accelerate. There doesn't appear to be a defence of duress and if the police won"t use discretion then going to court could be risky. I presume you have a fixed penalty offer? (What about a course?)

Just to add to this as someone with blue light training (ambulance not police) the best thing to do is continue at the speed you are at, slowing or accelerating gradually if needed to move out the way. Often people with the best of intentions brake hard or try and accelerate out the way and it only means you end up slowing because you're having to anticipate not only what they're doing but all the traffic around them which then panics and slams on the brakes too.

Obviously you're trained to deal with whatever, many more people suddenly brake than suddenly accelerate but being observant and predictable is the best way to help emergency services.

As others have said best thing to do is an apologetic email to the Chief Constable saying it was a well intentioned mistake, you've since researched it and now know the best way to assist emergency vehicles, police doing such important work, etc. Personally I wouldn't take it to court as they have much less discretion than the police.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 - 21:50

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:31
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here