Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Being in a bus Lane in Reading
Bahar20
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 07:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93,408

Hi
I received a letter by post that I used a bus lane during the restricted hours.
It was accessible for permit holders too. I had a delivery to a bank and needed access. I appealed on that ground but I received a rejection with the reason that they didn't receive the attached runsheet and the road was only for bus.
I appreciate your help smile.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 07:47
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 11:52
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

Show us the PCN in full (all sides of all pages), the council video, and a link to the location on Google Street View. Reading PCNs are known for being poorly drafted.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 12:16
Post #3

Group: Closed
Member No.: 11,355

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4543502,-...3312!8i6656

Those signs are DfT approved by the way.

I would have a search on the TPT website for the TRO:-

https://tro.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/a...thority=Reading

If there is an exemption for loading that is key. If there is an exemption for CITV (cash in transit vehicles) that would swing it IMO.

Mick

+Quote Post
Bahar20
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 21:15
Post #4

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 12:52) *
Show us the PCN in full (all sides of all pages), the council video, and a link to the location on Google Street View. Reading PCNs are known for being poorly drafted.

This was the original PCN:

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 21:24
Post #5

Member No.: 74,048

always will/may with reading they are arrogant

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Bahar20
post Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 21:30
Post #6

QUOTE (Mad Mick V @ Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 13:16) *
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4543502,-...3312!8i6656

Those signs are DfT approved by the way.

I would have a search on the TPT website for the TRO:-

https://tro.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/a...thority=Reading

If there is an exemption for loading that is key. If there is an exemption for CITV (cash in transit vehicles) that would swing it IMO.

Mick

Thanks Mike.
I found this from that website:
file:///C:/Users/TECH/Downloads/BLTROMinsterStreetOrder2017%20(1).pdf

Does it mean I was allowed to enter the road for delivery?

+Quote Post
Bahar20
post Tue, 17 Jul 2018 - 20:04
Post #7

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 19 Jul 2018 - 18:28
Post #8

There is no loading exemption at all, businesses that need an exemption need to apply for a special permit from the Council and you clearly don't have one or I'm sure you would have mentioned it.

However the pcn template used by Reading Council is crap, I would challenge in on the will/may issue. Have a search for will/may in the forum, there's loads of examples and this is a very likely win at the tribunal.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Thu, 19 Jul 2018 - 18:55
Post #9

That Order does not quote St Mary's Butts so I don't think it applies.

It is interesting however at 6(a)(ii) that the order appears to allow unloading via the bus lane:

https://tro.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/T...etOrder2017.pdf

If the appropriate Order has the same type of article then an exemption argument might be made.

On the will/may issue I am less confident than cp8759 because we have had adjudicators dismiss that ground in Reading.

Mick

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 19 Jul 2018 - 19:23
Post #10

QUOTE (Mad Mick V @ Thu, 19 Jul 2018 - 19:55) *

It is interesting however at 6(a)(ii) that the order appears to allow unloading via the bus lane:

If the appropriate Order has the same type of article then an exemption argument might be made.

On the will/may issue I am less confident than cp8759 because we have had adjudicators dismiss that ground in Reading.

Mick

I too am not confident on the will/may I would like lots of other reasons to back it up. But will not give up on it. IMO the adjudicators are wrong. Given the differing views the two tribunals should sit down together as a panel and agree Yea or nay on it

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Bahar20
post Thu, 19 Jul 2018 - 22:01
Post #11

QUOTE (Mad Mick V @ Thu, 19 Jul 2018 - 19:55) *

Mick

what about this one?
file:///C:/Users/TECH/Downloads/BL-TRO-A33-Order-2017.pdf
5(a)(i) ?

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Mon, 16 Jul 2018 - 22:24) *
always will/may with reading they are arrogant

what do you mean by Will/may?

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 10:31
Post #12

This is from an appeal I wrote re the issue for another person in a Reading bus lane. It should be noted that the appeal was allowed on the ground of inadequate signage. The adjudicator did not consider other issues but said they would be unlikely to have succeeded.

IMO this is a cop out. Indeed the signage argument was weak, but its not the first time we have seen this taking the easy option

3:-The use of the term WILL as opposed to the regulatory requirement of MAY is one that has many times been before both the TPT and the London tribunal service. It is a collateral challenge under the statutory ground that the penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable in the circumstances of the case.

This comes about as the PCN states that “if you do neither of these things within 28 days from the date of service of this notice the council will serve a charge certificate.

The regulations as set down at 32(1) that the authority may serve a charge certificate.

Case law has laid down first and foremost in Barnet vs the parking adjudicator Neutral Citation Number: [2006] EWHC 2357 (Admin) Jackson J said this in endorsing the findings of parking adjudicator Mr Mark Hinchcliffe

•     Section 66(3)©,(d) and (e) requires every PCN to convey certain specified information. The use of the words 'must state that' suggests that the exact words of the section are not mandatory, but the PCN must accurately convey the information set out in the subsections . .

Can the words Will and may be read to mean the same thing. My contention is that they cannot.

WILL must denote an action that has be taken if the criteria are met. Whereas May denotes an action that can be taken if it is deemed fit in the same circumstances.

Will sets a path that must be followed, May allows a deviation. I submit that the meaning of the information required by the regulations is not conveyed and the statutory requirement is not met

A further test is, is the required information conveyed by the PCN when read as a whole. Again I submit not. Only one reference to a charge certificate is made and it is not correct

Jackson J also endorsed the finding of adjudicator Mr Martin wood who found that literal compliance was not necessary. Substantial compliance is all that is needed. Case law in both tribunals has found substantial compliance to mean. The information must be clear and not mislead or confuse. To ascribe a completely different meaning to a regulation with the use of different words ,must be said to mislead as to the intent of the regulations

The next question I put is why is the what could be seen as a minor difference so important?

A council as a public body has an over riding duty to act fairly at all times. In the exercise of its punitive powers it has and must maintain at all times discretion in its actions. It must not fetter that discretion. It may set a policy as to how it may act but must always be prepared and able to act outside that policy.

There may be many reasons why a council would not or should not issue a charge certificate. A recipient might be discovered to be very ill and hospitalised, and are thus unable to deal with a PCN, it could be they have passed away, or it could be that a persons financial state would place an unbearable burden if a PCN was pursued.

The draftsman aware of this drafted the regulations in such a way as to maintain the councils discretion, parliament passed the regulation drafted this way for that reason. It is not for the council to seek to go beyond this safeguard written into the regulations

I would by way of support for my contention relay in summery a case taken before London tribunals. Case ref 2170501900 and review This gentleman asked for a review this was also denied. He then sought advice from an intenet advice site. His claim was that the council (London borough of Newham) had identified the wrong car. He posted evidence of this. Experienced members of this site attempted to help as there did appear to be a miscarriage of justice. Contact was made with the council who agreed to look again at the issue. They agreed an error had been made and cancelled the penalty. Without discretion this could not happen.
I opened this chapter with the assertion that this as a matter that has been before the tribunal many times. In reaching a finding I ask that the adjudicator gives consideration to the view of the following adjudicators all of whom have found on this in the past

2130516990 Andrew Harman
2140046893 Anthony chan

216022028A Belinda Pearce
2160211926 Christopher Rayner
2110072817 Edward Houghton

2120021652 Henry Michael Greenslade
2150379790 Joanne Oxlade
2160211959 John Lane
2100649871 Michael Burke
2160422149 Michael Lawrence
2110415753 Michael Nathan
2150479729 Neeti Haria
2160210490 Sean Stanton-Dunne

I submit that no doubt inadvertently the authority play fast and lose with the regulations, and that this PCn be declared a nullity

I would like to thank the adjudicator for their time and consideration of the points raised and respectfully submit that you find as I contend, that this PCN is unenforceable by way of no contravention being committed or that the shear number of flaws render it a nullity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 11:37
Post #13

Been reading some old threads on this bus lane-- still cannot find the Order --it was an Experimental Order first off and must have been confirmed.

On the will/may issue, EDW and Hippocrates mention the TPT adjudicators don't bite when a procedural impropriety is contended and it is better to use the phrase:- "A document which does not comply with the regulations is not a PCN and therefore no charge is payable".

An interesting snippet suggests St. Mary's Butts cannot be classed as a bus Lane/Gate:-

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-new...otoring-4327186

That's a bit old now but it is redolent with the Lendal Bridge case.

EDIT

Here's the Order:- https://tro.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/T...ding/RG173B.pdf

This is not a bus lane and therefore they cannot use bus lane cameras or enforce as a bus lane. At Sch 4 the the Order prohibits motor vehicles with exceptions.

I do believe there is a unloading exemption as per 10(a)(ii)--if this is regarded as a bus lane by the Council.

Mick

This post has been edited by Mad Mick V: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 12:01

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 21:34
Post #14

QUOTE (Mad Mick V @ Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 12:37) *
This is not a bus lane and therefore they cannot use bus lane cameras or enforce as a bus lane. At Sch 4 the the Order prohibits motor vehicles with exceptions.

But section 144(5) of the Transport Act 200 just says:

"And an area of road is or forms part of a bus lane if the order provides that it may be used—
(a)only by buses (or a particular description of bus), or
(b)only by buses (or a particular description of bus) and some other class or classes of vehicular traffic.
"

There is no requirement that the order mentions the words "bus lane" as far as I can see. A TRO that says a road is prohibited to all traffic except buses, taxis and cycles plainly falls within section 144(5)(b)

I wouldn't take legal advice from Andy Woolford on this topic, nor on any other legal topic to be honest.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 21:34

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 23:37
Post #15

The Woolford case is 5 years old but his PCN was cancelled which is of interest.

Sect 144 of the Transport Act 2000 has been repealed ----No?

I am more with the Lendal Bridge precedent which determined what constituted a bus lane with regard to the number of exemptions.

Mick

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 21 Jul 2018 - 00:13
Post #16

QUOTE (Mad Mick V @ Sat, 21 Jul 2018 - 00:37) *
Sect 144 of the Transport Act 2000 has been repealed ----No?

No, it's only repealed in Wales.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 - 00:15

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Sat, 21 Jul 2018 - 06:31
Post #17

Section 5 of the following document is interesting regarding exceptions and exemptions which I think makes the unloading situation clearer vis-a-vis the TRO:-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...pqjDzpLK-h1qnRW

Mick

+Quote Post
Bahar20
post Mon, 23 Jul 2018 - 21:03
Post #18

Thanks for your advises.
I am a bit confused now.
Do you think I could win if I appeal the council's rejection?

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Tue, 24 Jul 2018 - 10:19
Post #19

OP----Reading cases are usually difficult so you have a choice----- either settle at the discount which they have re-offered or go to the Tribunal. For me the key issue is the unloading-----if you were taking a large amount of cash and have evidence, that would swing it for me.

Otherwise have a look at a draft appeal to TPT--others are welcome to kick it around as necessary:-

Mick

PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE-- NO. ???????????

The Charge

Contravention : Being in a Bus Lane, St. Mary's Butts.

The Appeal

The major ground of this Appeal is that the contravention did not occur. As a corollary I wish to raise a collateral challenge that the Authority has acted ultra vires given non-compliance evident in the Authority’s documentation.

(a) Unloading is allowed by the TRO

Borough of Reading (Town Centre) (Bus and Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Lanes) (Special Access Permits) Order 2012

There is a clear distinction between exceptions and exemptions in the TRO which accords with the recommendations of the Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee:-

https://www.patrol-uk.info/docs/Bus_Lane_Paper.pdf

The TRO states:- 10(a)(ii) that nothing shall prevent a person from the loading or unloading goods or burden at premises via a bus lane.

I have informed the Council that I had to take ?????? to the bank and because of security issues needed close access. I understand that such a purpose is valid under the unloading protocols and that the TRO would allow this as an exception.

(b) Collateral Challenge.

A document which does not comply with the regulations is not a PCN and therefore no charge is payable.

My appeal is underpinned by a collateral challenge that the PCN does not comply with the Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, Adjudication and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005.

The legislation does not impose a mandatory obligation on the Authority to serve a Charge Certificate where the Penalty Charge Notice remains unpaid and an appeal is not submitted.

The use of the wording in the Act is mandatory and not optional. This means that the Penalty Charge Notice does not comply with the requirements of Reg.8 (k) of the Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, Adjudication and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005.The words "will serve a Charge Certificate" convey an entirely different meaning to the motorist than the use of the words "may increase the penalty charge".

With respect, I would draw the Adjudicators attention to R (Hackney Drivers’ Association Ltd) v The Parking Adjudicator [2012] EWNC3394 , a precedent case on substantial compliance, in which HH Judge Raynor remarked that the only issue for his determination was whether the penalty charge notice was compliant with the requirements of the regulation. Therefore I contend that the PCN was not substantially compliant because the instructions on the document were not the information which the regulations, read as a whole, required to be conveyed.

The clear conclusion is that the Authority failed in the exercise of it’s duty insofar as it has failed to distinguish between "mandatory" and "discretionary" requirements. A breach of statutory requirements must lead to the document being set aside.

© The Contravention Did Not Occur

I am not satisfied that the Authority has proved the contravention of being in a bus lane and its Notice of Rejection is a nullity.

My appeal is predicated on the failure of the Authority to establish the legal existence of this “bus lane” and thereby its improper use of camera enforcement.

(i) Lines and Signs (TRO)

The Borough of Reading (Town Centre) (Bus and Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Lanes) (Special Access Permits) Order 2012 defines a bus lane as having the same meaning as Regulation 23 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002. The legislation states:-

Bus lanes

23.—(1) In the signs shown in the permitted variants of diagrams 877 and 878 in which the expression “bus lane” appears and in diagrams 962, 962.2, 963, 963.2, 964, 1048 and 1048.1, “bus lane” has the meaning given in paragraph (2).

(2) “Bus lane” in the signs referred to in paragraph (1) means a traffic lane reserved for—

(a) motor vehicles constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers (exclusive of the driver);
(b) local buses not so constructed or adapted; and
© pedal cycles and taxis where indicated on the sign shown in diagram 958 or 959 and pedal cycles where indicated on the sign shown in diagram 960, 962.2, 963.2 or 1048.1.

None of the signs used at the entry to St Mary’s Butts comply with those above and none in Schedule 5 of the TSRGD 2002 nor are there any road markings which delineate a Bus Lane as prescribed above (1048 --1048.1). Therefore a bus lane at this location is not evident reading the Authority’s own TRO and by the absence of appropriate lines and signs.

I would emphasise that if a Diagram 953 sign had been used a carriageway legend “Bus Gate” is required to accompany this sign by virtue of Schedule 9 Part 5 Para 1, Part 6 item 15, and Schedule 3 Part 2 Item 33 Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016.

(ii) Lines and Signs (DfT Approval)

The Authority has therefore sought and been given approval from the DfT for new signs (GT/50/124/0004). The authorisation clearly states that it makes a distinction between bus lanes and areas of road which may be used only by buses and other specified classes of vehicular traffic. In other words there is a clear question mark as to St Mary’s Butts being a bus lane.

Against that, I appreciate Section 144(5) of the Transport Act 2000 says:

"An area of road is or forms part of a bus lane if the order provides that it may be used—

(a) only by buses (or a particular description of bus), or
(b) only by buses (or a particular description of bus) and some other class or classes of vehicular traffic."

(iii) The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996

The Authority maintains that this is a bus lane but has not adequately marked it as such and thereby it has failed in its duty under Reg. 18 of the above legislation not to confuse or mislead. This is a double whammy because if motorists cannot recognise the restriction as a bus lane they will also fail to recognise that camera enforcement is appropriate. Likewise there is no camera enforcement sign at the entrance to St Mary’s Butts. In my view any enforcement is compromised by these deficiencies and there is prejudice.

This aspect of inadequacy is further stressed in Moss, R (on the application of) v KPMG Llp [2010] EWHC 2923 (Admin) (14 October 2010)

"The effect of non-compliance with the requirements of the prescribed diagrams on enforcement by criminal proceedings or by PCN has been considered in a number of cases. There is one group of cases in which there was a breach of the requirement in the 1996 Local Authority Traffic Order Procedure Regulations to place signs or markings adequately so that those affected would know what was forbidden. Examples are Hassan v Director of Public Prosecutions [1992] RTR 209 and James v Caley [1967] QB 676: where there was no sign stating the day or hours when parking on a yellow line was forbidden, the information as to the prohibition indicated by that line had not been adequately conveyed. The statutory requirement in the procedure order that the prohibition be adequately signed had not been met, and the offence of breaching the prohibition could not be proved. Those cases make it clear that if a traffic sign does not adequately inform the driver as to what is forbidden or where, the penalty cannot be enforced and, in a criminal context, no offence is committed."

(iv) The Lendal Bridge Case

Where signs to diagram 953 and its variants are not used there will always be conjecture that we are dealing with a street where buses have an exemption from the prohibition and that, in traffic management terms, a bus lane is not the primary objective.

I contend that the St Mary's Butts Street prohibition, with its numerous exemptions and exceptions, falls into the same category as the Lendal Bridge case in York (YR05035C).

In that case the Adjudicator indicated:-

“In my judgement notwithstanding the designation in the Traffic Order
neither Coppergate nor Lendal Bridge can sensibly be described as a bus
lane, street or gate but rather the roads are part of a general traffic scheme
from which non-exempt vehicles are restricted at certain times and where
buses are just one of the excepted categories or classes of vehicle“

In that case it was argued that the Authority had failed to establish the presence of a bus gate/bus lane to the degree required to make camera enforcement permissible.

In my case the signage in place relates to a Restricted Access Street not a Bus Lane..

Given the inadequacy of signage noted above, a Bus Lane contravention did not occur and the Authority has used enforcement cameras improperly.

Synopsis

--The contravention did not occur;
--Unloading is allowed by the TRO;
--A bus lane restriction has not been established;
--The use of cameras has not been adequately communicated;
--No adequate signing that motorists have encountered a bus lane;
--A document which does not comply with the regulations is not a PCN.

Yours

This post has been edited by Mad Mick V: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 - 12:20

+Quote Post
Bahar20
post Tue, 24 Jul 2018 - 19:48
Post #20

Thanksss alot Mick...
I sent them another email with the first part of the appeal you posted and attached the evidence again as they were saying they didn't receive it. Hopefully they reconsider it and cancel it...

This post has been edited by Bahar20: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 - 20:21

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 15:49
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here