Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,753

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - August 2009
Date of the NIP: - 7 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 8 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - the A90 road, Edinburgh between Burnshot Flyover and Cammo Road
Was the NIP addressed to you? - No
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - My husband is registered keeper/owner
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons -

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Do you know who was driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the Section 172 statement naming the person you believe was driving.
    You aren't incriminating them - they'll receive a NIP to complete themselves in due course.

(You might also like to let that person know that they can expect to receive one, and give them the link to this Wizard for when it arrives!)

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:57:11 +0100

Sorry... I think I might have filled in incorrectly

I am the registered owner of the vehicle (husband) and my wife was driving the vehicle

This post has been edited by events: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 - 17:06
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 24)
Advertisement
post Fri, 4 Sep 2009 - 17:05
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
events
post Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 01:21
Post #21

QUOTE (MartinHP71 @ Thu, 5 Nov 2009 - 23:39) *
QUOTE (events @ Thu, 5 Nov 2009 - 23:36) *
QUOTE (MartinHP71 @ Thu, 5 Nov 2009 - 23:26) *
What do you think your wife is in the clear from ?

I thought that would be pretty obvious... sorry for asking for advice!

It was a legitimate question. Do you think your wife in the clear from the original offence ? or from returning the S172 request ?

I don't know, that's why I am here asking for advice, What do you think?

+Quote Post
big_mac
post Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 02:01
Post #22

Member No.: 32,760

I am guessing that you returned it unsigned, without actually undestanding why you were doing that, is that correct?
Perhaps you could search this forum for 'unsigned', as was previously suggested, and see what you can find.

But, and I have only read a few posts here, I think that if your wife can now avoid being questioned by a policeman until 6 months after the offence, then they will be unable to prosecute, which is why the 'unsigned' option was suggested to you.

+Quote Post
events
post Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 09:48
Post #23

I have to admit I am not clued up on this and that is why I am on here asking for advice... if anyone can give me an accurate answer as to "What happens now" it would be appreciated... remember I am in Scotland also.... Many Thanks

+Quote Post
MartinHP71
post Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 10:23
Post #24

Member No.: 6,622

QUOTE (events @ Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 09:48) *
I have to admit I am not clued up on this and that is why I am on here asking for advice... if anyone can give me an accurate answer as to "What happens now" it would be appreciated... remember I am in Scotland also.... Many Thanks

Right you wife has returned the S172 request to the scammers and you have proof of delivery of this (so keep this in a very safe place)

In Scotland you are still able to send this back unsigned. With it being unsigned they cannot use it in court to show that your wife was the driver so they will potentially try a number of routes.

They may send the form back with a letter saying oh dear you forgot to sign but look we are being nice and giving you a second chance - don't sign

They could send some local policemen around to your house and ask to speak with your wife and then ask her if she was the driver - so basically you wife needs to not answer the door to any policemen for the next 6 months and which point the possibility of her being prosecuted for the original speeding offence will end.

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
events
post Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 12:17
Post #25

QUOTE (MartinHP71 @ Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 10:23) *
QUOTE (events @ Fri, 6 Nov 2009 - 09:48) *

Right you wife has returned the S172 request to the scammers and you have proof of delivery of this (so keep this in a very safe place)

In Scotland you are still able to send this back unsigned. With it being unsigned they cannot use it in court to show that your wife was the driver so they will potentially try a number of routes.

They may send the form back with a letter saying oh dear you forgot to sign but look we are being nice and giving you a second chance - don't sign

They could send some local policemen around to your house and ask to speak with your wife and then ask her if she was the driver - so basically you wife needs to not answer the door to any policemen for the next 6 months and which point the possibility of her being prosecuted for the original speeding offence will end.

Hope that helps.

Hi Martin... that's great!... I now know where I stand... thanks for advice.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Saturday, 15th August 2020 - 20:42
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.