Member No.: 102,086

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - December 2018
Date of the NIP: - 44 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 46 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): -
Was the NIP addressed to you? - No
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I have received a NIP addressed to my Father, who has never been resident at this address for a vehicle for which i am the registered keeper and owner. He is an additional driver on the insurance but has never driven it.

I am unaware of any incident, the date is sometime ago , but I can not recall using the car that day as when I used the car on the 13th December I can remember thinking it was the first time i had used it since being back from holiday at the beginning of November. It certainly would not have been used at the 00:00 time detailed on the NIP ( although i assume they have just defaulted to that time )

I had possession of both sets of keys so if anyone was driving it can only have been me, but as i say i do not think the car was actually there !

No details other than driving without due care and attention are given.

My initial thought was to ignore it as it is not addressed to me and my Father has never been resident here nor has he driven the car.

Secondly it seems incorrect that they have not sent this letter until nearly 7 weeks after an alleged incident. What about the 14day rule.

I am reluctant to pass the letter onto my father as i know it has nothing to do with him, they have picked his name in error, and secondly he is elderly and I do not want him to be worried.

Should i seek legal advice ?

I have been driving nearly 30yrs and never been in any accident, even as a passenger and never committed any offence, so I am a newbie with regard to my rights etc. Any help is appreciated.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - Unsure
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Unsure
Do you know who was driving? - Unsure who was driving

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 15:08:26 +0000
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 27)
Advertisement
post Thu, 24 Jan 2019 - 15:08
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
whyamihere
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 12:58
Post #21

Group: Members

Last month I was given AC10, CD10 & AC20 with 10points.

I am confused as to when I need to advise my insurance company, I have seen lots of posts on other motoring forums, that state you should never advise until the renewal.

As far as I can see from the terms of business, certificate and schedule there is nothing about notifying them, I am with Adrian Flux and Highway Insurance company.

I am insured until end of November, and as the offences have been backdated to the date of the incident (Dec18) ( of which I have no idea about ! ) , I will already have ticked nearly 2yrs off my "time" which will help keep the cost impact down.

I am really only bothered about the legality of driving and 3rd party cover, I have never had an accident or made any claim in 30yrs of driving and I would be unlikely to claim for fire / theft or own car damage as the car is only worth about £1k.

I am also insured on my Fathers policy with LV as an additional driver, he rang them straightaway, they asked him for the offence codes, which we did not know at that point, and they said they could not do anything until renewal anyway. The call centre person did not say anything to the contrary so I assume I am still insured on his policy (till august) too ?

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 13:25
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

You've started a duplicate thread!

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 13:26
Post #23

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (whyamihere @ Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 12:58) *
Last month I was given AC10, CD10 & AC20 with 10points.

I am confused as to when I need to advise my insurance company, I have seen lots of posts on other motoring forums, that state you should never advise until the renewal.

As far as I can see from the terms of business, certificate and schedule there is nothing about notifying them, I am with Adrian Flux and Highway Insurance company.

I am insured until end of November, and as the offences have been backdated to the date of the incident (Dec18) ( of which I have no idea about ! ) , I will already have ticked nearly 2yrs off my "time" which will help keep the cost impact down.

I am really only bothered about the legality of driving and 3rd party cover, I have never had an accident or made any claim in 30yrs of driving and I would be unlikely to claim for fire / theft or own car damage as the car is only worth about £1k.

I am also insured on my Fathers policy with LV as an additional driver, he rang them straightaway, they asked him for the offence codes, which we did not know at that point, and they said they could not do anything until renewal anyway. The call centre person did not say anything to the contrary so I assume I am still insured on his policy (till august) too ?

You need to read your actual policy document. If you don't have it, it can often be found on the insurer's website. Failing that, phone and ask.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 13:39
Post #24

Member No.: 36,528

Do not rely on telephone calls, or generalised information on the internet, read the terms of any policy under which you are insured. Most policies do not require the information until renewal, but be certain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 13:43
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

The elephant in the room would appear to be the possibility that the OP who had no idea that there were any prosecutions pending when he took out the insurance in November 2019 received a NIP for the offences (albeit in his father's name) in January 2019, and subsequently took action which resulted in himself being named as the driver.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
whyamihere
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 14:23
Post #26

QUOTE (666 @ Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 13:26) *
You need to read your actual policy document. If you don't have it, it can often be found on the insurer's website. Failing that, phone and ask.

Ive googled highway and found this

Changes which may affect your cover You must tell your insurance adviser as soon as possible if any of your details change and you should contact your insurance adviser for advice if you are not sure whether a change will affect your cover. If you do not tell your insurance adviser about any relevant changes, we may:  Reject or reduce your claim  Cancel the policy and treat it as though it never existed, or  Do both of the above

So it looks like I will need to call them.. it would help if they made this clearer and provided it to you on the email when you take the insurance out !

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 15:17
Post #27

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (whyamihere @ Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 14:23) *
it would help if they made this clearer and provided it to you on the email when you take the insurance out !

It must have been in T&C's you accepted. (Which would have been presented to read)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sun, 16 Feb 2020 - 17:30
Post #28

Member No.: 36,528

Policy Document pdf HERE on page 21

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 08:09
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here