PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help advise needed regarding Sale of car and logbook problems., Sale of car and log books not updated
RossUK
post Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,520

I am seeking some help and advise after seeing various places posting and saying to seek advise on PePiPoo.

So my problem is as follows.

I had sold my car back in June 2018. Details filled out at time when sold. Provided all documents to the new owner of the car. He advised he has sent off the log book slips and necessary information. He advised to me hes received the log book in his name and got car tax mot and insurance all updated as he is new driver and owner of car.

Now should I receive a letter from DVLA saying that I am no longer the owner or will I not get any information regarding this after it has all been sent off? As I have yet to receive any documents saying so if this is the case.

Today I had spoke to the new keeper again as I have had a letter from the DVLA In my name and not the new keepers abut Failed direct debit for road tax.

I have this evening contacted the new owner of the car and he advised he sent it all off and he had successfully updated it at the time when he had got the new MOT and road tax sorted for it as it was previously in my name Sorn off road..

I asked him where the car is now as I didn't see it on his drive, he advised he has sold it 4 weeks ago so sometime back in November and he said he had sent the log book off with the new keepers owner details on it.

Now the problem I have is receiving a letter in my details of the car registration number xxxxx saying failed direct debit road tax.

Does this mean that the DVLA have not been informed of any changes and that the car is actually in my details still? If so how would I actually go about getting this updated as I do not have any of the details for new keeper of the car as the person I sold it to I asked him for details of the person he sold on to and advised he has no information as he just sent the details and forms back to DVLA and he is yet to receive any information from DVLA if they inform you.

What is needed to be done here as I have no idea and seriously need some help with this mess because it seems to me the guy I sold to never updated and just sold the car on yet he said in person to me hes sent all the information back to the DVLA.

Should I be contacting the DVLA and also the police in regards to this matter and if so what best way to approach the DVLA and police if necessary. Thank you.

This post has been edited by RossUK: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:31

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Advertisement
post Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:26
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:42
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

You as the existing keeper should have sent the log book off rather than leaving it to the new keeper, but if he says he got a log book in his name the registered keeper details should be updated. In the first instance I would call DVLA and ask them if the registered keeper details have been updated and if so when.

It might just be that the system that send the direct debit failure letters isn't in sync with the registered keeper details.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:58
Post #3

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:42) *
You as the existing keeper should have sent the log book off rather than leaving it to the new keeper, but if he says he got a log book in his name the registered keeper details should be updated. In the first instance I would call DVLA and ask them if the registered keeper details have been updated and if so when.

It might just be that the system that send the direct debit failure letters isn't in sync with the registered keeper details.

Thank you for your support.

I originally sold the car back in June that is 6 months back when all relevant documents sent of etc. Then he has advised tonight he sold 4 weeks ago. So why would this come in my name tho if all details have allegedly been updated.

Also do DVLA send letters out to confirm that the change over owner has been received and I am no longer the registered keeper of that car as I have not received anything from the DVLA if this is the case. And he advised me the same since selling sending details on to DVLA he has not received anything back off them either.

This post has been edited by RossUK: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:59

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 20 Dec 2018 - 00:09
Post #4

QUOTE (RossUK @ Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:58) *
Also do DVLA send letters out to confirm that the change over owner has been received and I am no longer the registered keeper of that car as I have not received anything from the DVLA if this is the case.

Yes they do, and if you don't get the letter 4 weeks after you've sold the car, they expect you to get in touch with them to find out what's gone wrong.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Thu, 20 Dec 2018 - 01:01
Post #5

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 20 Dec 2018 - 00:09) *
QUOTE (RossUK @ Wed, 19 Dec 2018 - 22:58) *
Also do DVLA send letters out to confirm that the change over owner has been received and I am no longer the registered keeper of that car as I have not received anything from the DVLA if this is the case.

Yes they do, and if you don't get the letter 4 weeks after you've sold the car, they expect you to get in touch with them to find out what's gone wrong.

Well Guess I got some phoning to do tomorrow. Thanks again. Will update you when I get chance to when home from work and spoke to DVLA to see what they say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Thu, 20 Dec 2018 - 19:29
Post #6

Well spoke to DVLA this morning they said to send them a letter in confirming the time date new owners details I also advised them that the person who bought off me has since sold on what to do about that. They advised this will be handled with the person you sold to as they have failed to update or have not sent in documents that are required. So since sent letter this afternoon with all information they are asking for. Was told will wright back to me once received to then confirm I am no longer the owner.

Now one more question in light of this. Will I get any fine or charges because of what has happened? I did enquire as to anything outstanding and advised their is nothing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 20 Dec 2018 - 20:13
Post #7

QUOTE (RossUK @ Thu, 20 Dec 2018 - 19:29) *
Now one more question in light of this. Will I get any fine or charges because of what has happened? I did enquire as to anything outstanding and advised their is nothing.

It's unlikely but not impossible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Sat, 5 Jan 2019 - 22:46
Post #8

Some updates regarding this. I have sent DVLA a letter back with all information of the sale and person who I sold to and phoned them again and they have yet to receive the letter but it has been signed for at their depo. How long does it take from their to get things updated.

I have now also received a 2nd letter below
Attached Image

Attached Image

Should I fill this out with the orignal letter that I have sent in to the DVLA with some changes on it to reflect the letter that I have just received?

Thank you in advance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 00:35
Post #9

Member No.: 36,528

I would fill in section D, "I have written to you giving all the information I have relating to recent transactions involving this vehicle. The letter was dated xx/xx/xx and was posted to you on xx/xx/xx. I attach a copy"
Then sign section E and send it off with a copy of your letter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 00:57
Post #10

QUOTE (Logician @ Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 00:35) *
I would fill in section D, "I have written to you giving all the information I have relating to recent transactions involving this vehicle. The letter was dated xx/xx/xx and was posted to you on xx/xx/xx. I attach a copy"
Then sign section E and send it off with a copy of your letter.

Thank you. Also update to this I have since been in contact with the new owner and he is in process of sorting tax information out tomorrow. He advised he got green slip when he bought it so he should able to tax car with this.

And thank you for the information will send the letters off tomorrow recorded

--------------------

+Quote Post
baroudeur
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 17:04
Post #11

Member No.: 73,212

The OP posted...

"Today I had spoke to the new keeper again as I have had a letter from the DVLA In my name and not the new keepers abut Failed direct debit for road tax.

I have this evening contacted the new owner of the car and he advised he sent it all off and he had successfully updated it at the time when he had got the new MOT and road tax sorted for it as it was previously in my name Sorn off road.."

If the car was SORNed how could there be a failed direct debit for road tax?

This post has been edited by baroudeur: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 17:05

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 12:46
Post #12

QUOTE (baroudeur @ Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 17:04) *
The OP posted...

"Today I had spoke to the new keeper again as I have had a letter from the DVLA In my name and not the new keepers abut Failed direct debit for road tax.

I have this evening contacted the new owner of the car and he advised he sent it all off and he had successfully updated it at the time when he had got the new MOT and road tax sorted for it as it was previously in my name Sorn off road.."

If the car was SORNed how could there be a failed direct debit for road tax?

Basically what happened is the following.

1 I sold car on to new person. I have 6 months later found out that the car is still in my name yet all information was sent off and the new owner claims he received log book in his name and then got work done on car then proceed to getting MOT sorted on it and then got Tax on it.

Back in dec 2018 I received a letter in my name regarding the car I sold saying that their is a missed payment and failed direct debit yet I had thought it was all updated. I contacted DVLA about this and they had advised have not had any change requests in to update new owner. At this point advised will wright to them to say when I had sold car on and to new driver.

I had also contacted the the person I sold the car to and he said he had the new Logbook though in is name meaning all updated yet he advised he sold on in NOV and no longer owns the car.

So from me originally selling DVLA sees me as the orignal owner and on logbook to be still present in my name.. Yet new owner has stated he got logbook and hes since sold on in NOV and sent logbook back to DVLA and yet DVLA saying still not had anything from Me or the 2 new owners.

This post has been edited by RossUK: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 14:38

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 14:04
Post #13

Member No.: 317

Do you want to rewrite that, it’s so disjointed it makes little sense and has a number of interpretations of meaning.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 14:40
Post #14

I will try but am not good with wrighting as am hard of spelling and grammar but will try to edit and split it up

updated post @The Rookie. I was on me mobile and me and grammar punctuation and spelling is not the best as am dietetic and can often get stuff muddled up. Sorry for that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 14:44
Post #15

Member No.: 317

I suspect the person you sold the car to is ‘confused’ if he had a reg doc in his name it only came from DVLA who have no record of sending it. While DVLA are far from perfect I know here who I’d believe of the two....

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 14:53
Post #16

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - 14:44) *
I suspect the person you sold the car to is ‘confused’ if he had a reg doc in his name it only came from DVLA who have no record of sending it. While DVLA are far from perfect I know here who I’d believe of the two....

Yup and I am the same as DVLA confirmed on various calls saying its all in my details still. So I guess be next contacting Action Fraud to file a case next and the person the guy I sold on to who sold to someone else 3rd person has said hes sent off as never received logbook and sent green slip back and he also said he updated and got car taxed now using green slip

--------------------

+Quote Post
RossUK
post Thu, 7 Feb 2019 - 00:26
Post #17

This can be closed now.

Resolved got letter though from DVLA advising no longer registered keeper and a 2nd letter to confirm no future action will be taken regarding car tax. Cant believe they took as long.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here