PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Worthless & unwanted car clamped for no tax, abandon car?
salmonpuncher
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 18:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,935

Moved my rusty banger off the driveway while i did some spring cleaning and foolishly left it there for a few days and now it's been clamped.

Uninsured, SORN and no MOT.

DVLA want £100 + £160 to take the clamp off

The money they want greatly exceeds the worth of the vehicle. So i'm looking for a legal alternative to paying.

Is doing nothing and waiting for them to tow it away, to avoid paying for clamp removal a valid option?

The leaflet left on the car says i can return a "vehicle disclaimer form" if i no longer want the vehicle however it does not say if i still have to pay any fees, is anyone able to clarify this?

Also any idea where this form is located? The leaflet doesn't say where to find it.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Advertisement
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 18:41
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 19:00
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Regardless of the above (and much to the surprise of some people) there will be a separate letter sent to the RK to pursue separate penalties and the back payment of duty - with the promise of a prosecution if not paid.

So either paying the above or not will not be the end of the matter.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
salmonpuncher
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 19:03
Post #3

Member No.: 96,935

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 19:00) *
Regardless of the above (and much to the surprise of some people) there will be a separate letter sent to the RK to pursue separate penalties and the back payment of duty - with the promise of a prosecution if not paid.

So either paying the above or not will not be the end of the matter.

Yes i understand that i will receive a letter for back payment of tax + any penalty.

The matter at hand is how to proceed with the clamping - i want to pick the option that involves paying the least amount of money as the car is worthless.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 21:58
Post #4

Member No.: 36,528

The form is on the second page of THIS brochure.
THIS leaflet may help

It seems to me that disclaiming the vehicle is likely to be the cheapest way forward for you. You cannot get them to take off the clamp unless you tax the vehicle, which you cannot do without an MoT, so it will have to be taken to the pound. You will then need someone to collect it on a trailer and dispose of it, so you will have fees for the pound and then for collecting and disposing of it. It will just be easier to let them do it all.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 12:57
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here