PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

County Court Private Parking Claim Hearings, Best way to view one (without being a Defendant)?
Churchmouse
post Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,731

Apart from checking CourtServe.net on a daily basis, is there a better way to manage this? I've got some free time and thought it was about time to see for myself the sausage being made...

(My closest County Courts are Bromley or City of London.)

--Churchmouse

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Advertisement
post Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:03
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:27
Post #2

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:03) *
Apart from checking CourtServe.net on a daily basis, is there a better way to manage this? I've got some free time and thought it was about time to see for myself the sausage being made...

--Churchmouse

Could always phone the court re relevant day and check viewing procedures at same time.
From my recent experience in Birmingham, small, private room but seats at back so should not have been an issue.
I've done it with TPT adjudication hearings by just turning up on the day, making myself known to clerk of the court and asking, simply shown in before a case starts with a quick word from clerk to adjudicator.
Never an issue.

PS, I found it difficult not to open my trap but that is one thing not done.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:28

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:39
Post #3

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:27) *

Indeed, can be hard to do at times (I've had the odd occasion where I've seen a legal adviser pretty much mislead the court and the defendant (not that I cared, he was obviously guilty)) but you don't want to be found in contempt.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 18:13
Post #4

Member No.: 18,483

Could always phone the court re relevant day and check viewing procedures at same time.
From my recent experience in Birmingham, small, private room but seats at back so should not have been an issue.
I've done it with TPT adjudication hearings by just turning up on the day, making myself known to clerk of the court and asking, simply shown in before a case starts with a quick word from clerk to adjudicator.
Never an issue.

I’ve never had a member of the public in one of my tribunals. I imagine I’d find it a bit weird!

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 15:39) *

Indeed, can be hard to do at times (I've had the odd occasion where I've seen a legal adviser pretty much mislead the court and the defendant (not that I cared, he was obviously guilty)) but you don't want to be found in contempt.

Oh, don’t get me started.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 23:38
Post #5

I'm curious about the Magistrates Court as well, but at the moment I'm more interested in PPC claims. I suppose there isn't much going on during the holidays?

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 1 Jan 2019 - 00:27
Post #6

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 23:38) *
I'm curious about the Magistrates Court as well, but at the moment I'm more interested in PPC claims. I suppose there isn't much going on during the holidays?

--Churchmouse

You've got to be kidding, magistrates are full of drink/drug driving cases at the moment

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 1 Jan 2019 - 00:48
Post #7

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 18:13) *
........I’ve never had a member of the public in one of my tribunals. I imagine I’d find it a bit weird!
……….

I had one adjudicator question me as to motives.... interest and curiosity seemed to satisfy him.
One who glared at me when the clerk spoke to him, humphhed and waved me to a seat.
Others just nodded and carried on as though I wasn't there.
Funnily enough, appellants never gave me more then a look.
Magistrates and crown court are easy to spectate at.
I assume that a civil PPC case would be similar for spectators as an adjudication hearing.
End of the day they are all supposed to be public hearings, it's just unusual for spectators at some.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 1 Jan 2019 - 01:17
Post #8

Member No.: 18,483

I guess I’d just make sure they weren’t a witness waiting to give evidence and if not just ask them to sit quietly and remind them not to record proceedings or take pictures.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Tue, 1 Jan 2019 - 03:13
Post #9

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 1 Jan 2019 - 00:27) *
QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Mon, 31 Dec 2018 - 23:38) *

--Churchmouse

You've got to be kidding, magistrates are full of drink/drug driving cases at the moment

Not in County Court, where I'm going!

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Colin_S
post Fri, 4 Jan 2019 - 10:34
Post #10

Member No.: 59,321

Apart from checking CourtServe.net on a daily basis, is there a better way to manage this?

--Churchmouse

I have just signed up for courtserve for an upcoming small claims case (not parking related). Although it's at neither of your mentioned Courts it's not a million miles away. The hearing day for my case is a Thursday and I checked the same Court for cases yesterday (also a Thursday) and there were a number of private parking cases listed for that day. It makes me wonder if Thursdays are the day they deal with small claims at our local Court. Perhaps a phone call to the Courts to ask if they deal with these cases on a specific day may be worth a punt? Just looking at the listings for Bromley today, for example, they all appear to be family matters.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 4 Jan 2019 - 11:00
Post #11

QUOTE (Colin_S @ Fri, 4 Jan 2019 - 10:34) *
Apart from checking CourtServe.net on a daily basis, is there a better way to manage this?

--Churchmouse

I have just signed up for courtserve for an upcoming small claims case (not parking related). Although it's at neither of your mentioned Courts it's not a million miles away. The hearing day for my case is a Thursday and I checked the same Court for cases yesterday (also a Thursday) and there were a number of private parking cases listed for that day. It makes me wonder if Thursdays are the day they deal with small claims at our local Court. Perhaps a phone call to the Courts to ask if they deal with these cases on a specific day may be worth a punt? Just looking at the listings for Bromley today, for example, they all appear to be family matters.

To be honest if you just ask, court staff are generally very helpful. It's not unusual if you attend court just to observe, for staff to ask you what sort of case you're interested in so they can check which courtrooms are holding hearings which might be of interest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 4 Jan 2019 - 11:09
Post #12

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Tue, 1 Jan 2019 - 00:48) *
End of the day they are all supposed to be public hearings, it's just unusual for spectators at some.

I attended a public planning hearing (just a private residence, appealing the councils decision), both the adjudicator and the rep from the council said they had NEVER had a member of the public attend one, ever in their experience.

As it happened the adjudicator was very grateful, she asked me a few times my 'take' when the two parties had similar but differing versions of the "fact's" and they also used my garden as an easy way to view the site as the other access wasn't tenable at that time.

I'd made it clear at the start mind you that I had no objection in principle to the application, was just concerned that some of the details would impact me and wanted to be there to look out for any sillies (like the fact that neither the council nor the appellant knew there was a mains sewer running right across the property as it wasn't on any plans!).

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Fri, 4 Jan 2019 - 15:27
Post #13

QUOTE (Colin_S @ Fri, 4 Jan 2019 - 10:34) *

--Churchmouse

Thanks, I will give the local courts a call. That should be have entertainment value, too!

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 16:52
Post #14

SRM has pointed out that Parking Cowboys now has a link to parking cases (on a daily basis):

https://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/parking-co...daily-listings/

--Churchmouse

This post has been edited by Churchmouse: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 16:54

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Mon, 21 Jan 2019 - 11:32
Post #15

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 16:52) *
SRM has pointed out that Parking Cowboys now has a link to parking cases (on a daily basis):

https://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/parking-co...daily-listings/

I've been checking the link on a daily basis over the last couple of weeks, and there appear to be some courts where parking-related hearings are more common than others. It would be nice to have more than 24 hours advance notice, but this will do. And, fortunately, it appears that one of the most active parking claim courts isn't very far from me.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 21 Jan 2019 - 12:34
Post #16

Member No.: 96,238

If today is typical, it's interesting :

Minor companies, usually Gladstones assisted, make up most of the claims
A Civil Enforcement case that wasn't cancelled
Unusual NCP and Spring Parking hearings

As many hearings in one day as were seen in six months, before POFA was introduced

So much for the BPA evidence to parliament that keeper liability would largely eliminate parking cases from the court system

Wonder if we would have had the wretched legislation if they hadn't exaggerated the number of cases by x100

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 07:50
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here