Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

duty to give information as to the identity of driver
sparklezz
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 17:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,946

Hi

I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice please on what I should do. I got a letter today to provide my information in regards to an offence that has alleged to have happened. The letter states it happened at the end of may this year but i have no recollection of what it could be. I was not involved in an accident nor would i have been speeding going highly populated road with cars.

I have looked at the road it says it happened on and all I can recall is that it may have been when the main road to my home was closed and I had to follow the diverted signs. I was not the only driver to follow the signs which lead to a one way street in a residential area but as this was also closed off we had to turn around and go a different way.

Could someone advise me please as this has me worried.

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 17:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
NewJudge
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:05
Post #2

Member No.: 23,623

Is the letter from the police (or a safety camera partnership)? Does it include a "notice of intended prosecution?

+Quote Post
sparklezz
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:12
Post #3

It says at the top that it is from the police. There is no notice for intention to prosecute attached to the letter either.

This post has been edited by sparklezz: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:13

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:14
Post #4

Member No.: 317

So you have an S172 notice requiring you to name the driver at the time of an alleged offence, that is all, not naming the driver is worth 6 points and a reasonable fine and insurance premium increases for five years so it’s probably not worth not naming the driver!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
sparklezz
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:16
Post #5

I have already filled in the form and was going to take it to the station tomorrow so i could ask about the offence.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:27
Post #6

The station is probably not going to be of any help in that respect at all, personally I’d just post it. (First class with proof of postage).

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
sparklezz
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 18:31
Post #7

Thank you, I will do first thing. Is it something I should be worried about as I have no clue what it could be about?

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 19:46
Post #8

Member No.: 36,528

It is of concern as the police would only want to know the name of the driver if there was some allegation of an offence, but what offence is anyone's guess. If it was a minor accident the police might take no action once they have put the parties in touch with each other, you are not aware of an accident but perhaps someone alleges you grazed his car when turning round for instance. Only time will tell, but not completing the form unequivocally naming the driver is a serious offence in itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:05
Post #9

Member No.: 96,238

Is it worth the OP delaying his reply until the end of the 28 days to improve his chances of timing out a prosecution ?

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:09
Post #10

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Redivi @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:05) *
Is it worth the OP delaying his reply until the end of the 28 days to improve his chances of timing out a prosecution ?

It also minimises the chance of an out of court disposal, such as a course or fixed penalty.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:10
Post #11

Is no allegation mentioned on the paperwork at all? That would be unusual.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 20:58
Post #12

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:09) *

It also minimises the chance of an out of court disposal, such as a course or fixed penalty.

True but he's already close to the four months deadline after which courses aren't usually offered

+Quote Post
sparklezz
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:13
Post #13

Hi, the letter doesnt specify the type of offence It just mentions an alleged offence.

Should i delay my response?
Btw thank you for the help.

+Quote Post
Irksome
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:24
Post #14

Member No.: 38,303

Can the OP unequivocally name the driver at the time?

--------------------
PePiPoo will likely close in October due to issues beyond the control of any contributor to this forum.

You are encouraged to seek advice at https://www.ftla.uk/speeding-and-other-criminal-offences/ where the vast majority of the experts here have moved over to already.

+Quote Post
sparklezz
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:55
Post #15

Hi. The driver at the time would have been me.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 22:27
Post #16

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (Redivi @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:58) *
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 21:09) *

True but he's already close to the four months deadline after which courses aren't usually offered

That's what I was thinking, too. Even if it's something for which courses are offered, it's probably too late already, but the FPN deadline is probably a bit later.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 22:38
Post #17

A delayed reply will leave the police about three weeks to send the COFP

Any later and it can be ignored

The question is what to do about a COFP that will expire a few days before the six months time-out
Will the system pick it up and prosecute immediately ?

+Quote Post
ford poplar
post Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 23:11
Post #18

Member No.: 24,962

Miss returning the s172 within 28 days could result in a FTF, MS90 and related nasties.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 05:47
Post #19

Delayed as in reply to arrive on Day 26

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 11:50
Post #20

Member No.: 23,623

It's quite straightforward. If your reply is not received in time to accommodate the offer of a course or a fixed penalty (if appropriate) you won't get such an offer. The matter will go straight to prosecution . You may be able to persuade the court to deal with the matter by way of a fine and points equivalent to the fixed penalty. They have guidance which allows them to do so.

The only upside to delaying your reply is the matter may "time out". The chances of this happening are very slim. They have until the end of November to begin proceedings. You only have until 16th October for your reply to be received. The chances of missing the deadline for a course or FP are very high (and in fact have probably already passed). Delaying your reply will only make that more likely. Added to that, if you perchance exceed the 28 days allowed (because of, say, postal difficulties) you may face a "Fail to provide" allegation anyway, so not a very good strategy.

Since you don't know what is alleged or whether it can be dealt with by way of a fixed penalty anyway you have little or nothing to gain from trying to engineer a timeout and I would respond asap. You never know, you might actually find out what it is all about.

One thing that might be worth exploring, if you find out what is alleged, is the matter of a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). Many offences require a NIP to be served on the Registered Keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. From what you say you have received no such notice.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 20:13
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here