PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Speed Awareness Course Refused
spankymonkey
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 10:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,990

I have been denied the chance to do a SAC (Speed Awareness Course) after receiving a speeding ticket because I didn't reply to the letter in time, but the letter was sent to the wrong address. Meaning I wasn't aware of the letter until it was forwarded to my address. I don't want 3 points and want to take the SAC, but speaking with the police didn't yield a positive outcome. How can I redeem my right to take the SAC, if at all possible?

I don't mind paying the fixed penalty as Im aware that I was in the wrong but it isn't my fault that I didn't respond in time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 10:59
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 11:15
Post #2

Member No.: 317

You can't redeem a right you don't have!

Unless you can convince the Police its an injustice you will just have to take the FPN, if you got to 4 months after the offence before you replied (for whatever reason) then the course option is gone.

If it wasn't your fault, who's was it?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 11:24
Post #3

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (spankymonkey @ Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 11:59) *
How can I redeem my right to take the SAC, if at all possible?

There is no right to a SAC.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 11:31
Post #4

Member No.: 36,528

Try writing a letter, provided you are not now more than four months after the offence, it may be read by a different officer and yield a different result. Grovel a bit and admit it is all your fault!

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 12:55
Post #5

Member No.: 23,623

The difficulty you face is that the course has to be accepted and taken within six months of the offence. If you fail to take up the offer and complete the course in that time, the police cannot start court proceedings against you. That is why there is a cut-off (usually of about four months) after which the course will not be offered.
I don't want 3 points...

But
I don't mind paying the fixed penalty....

If you pay a fixed penalty (£100) you will also receive three points. As well as that there is a similar cut-off after which a Fixed Penalty will not be offered (for the same reason) as there is for the Course.

You don't mention whose fault you believe it was or why you did not receive the letter. but unfortunately it doesn't matter. As Logician suggests, you could try a grovelling letter to the ticket office and that may succeed (depending very much on how long ago the offence was) but don't hold your breath.

This post has been edited by NewJudge: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 12:58

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 12:59
Post #6

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 13:55) *
The difficulty you face is that the course has to be accepted and taken within six months of the offence.

I thought it was 4 months, not 6 months.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 17:45
Post #7

Member No.: 23,623

Yes, I didn't really make myself very clear, Peter.

What I tried to explain was that, since court action must be started within six months the "cut off" for offering a course or fixed penalty is around four months. This is obviously to give the police/ticket office a bit of leeway and to avoid them being unable to take action against drivers who simply ignore the offers.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 20 Jul 2018 - 22:47
Post #8

Member No.: 90,659

Remembering into the dim and distant past I think with my course there were fairly strong time limits on booking the course, not being late for the course, and completing the rubbish online learning afterwards as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they added up to less than two months.

For the OP, speed awareness courses have no basis in law so unfortunately unlike say a court hearing you have no legal right to one. Unfortunately due to intransigence and/or restrictions on their online booking system it is unheard of for them to break their own rules.

If it's any consolation if you currently have a clean licence three points is unlikely to make much of a difference to your insurance. And when you are elderly you can still lie and say you've "never had so much as a parking ticket", as is obligatory if you are over 70.

+Quote Post
Colin_S
post Mon, 23 Jul 2018 - 10:00
Post #9

Member No.: 59,321

........I didn't reply to the letter in time, but the letter was sent to the wrong address. Meaning I wasn't aware of the letter until it was forwarded to my address.

OP really needs to expand on the reason for the letter going to the wrong address. Was it the address the car was registered at? Was the car newley purchased around the time and it went to the previous owner? Has the OP moved and ommited updating their V5? I'm guessing it wasn't incorrectly addressed or how would the recipient know where to forward it to?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 23 Jul 2018 - 10:03
Post #10

Member No.: 317

Unless 'forwarding' actually means 'a new one sent' which is the same parlance we have on here quite often.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 04:56
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here