PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Electric Bikes.
Korting
post Tue, 25 Dec 2018 - 23:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,524

Take a look at this: https://www.li.me/electric-assist-bike?fbcl...9IOQOQr7CfrIE-c

Are these not mechanically propelled vehicles? if so, shouldn't the rider be licensed and subject to the same laws as scooters and cars?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 49)
Advertisement
post Tue, 25 Dec 2018 - 23:29
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
captain swoop
post Sat, 5 Jan 2019 - 22:06
Post #41

Member No.: 18,956

My wife has an eBike.
She only rides occasionally and I ride 5 or 6 hours a week (mostly on my trainer and Zwift at this time of year it has to be said)
She doesn't like riding on the road, the traffic intimidates her so we go off road over the moors and various other tracks around the N Yorks Moors.
If she didn't use an eBike she wouldn't be able to stay with me and would hate the climbs or I would have to hang back and she would still hate the climbs.

+Quote Post
Unzippy
post Sat, 5 Jan 2019 - 23:57
Post #42

Member No.: 66,323

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Sat, 5 Jan 2019 - 23:06) *
My wife has an eBike.
She only rides occasionally and I ride 5 or 6 hours a week (mostly on my trainer and Zwift at this time of year it has to be said)
She doesn't like riding on the road, the traffic intimidates her so we go off road over the moors and various other tracks around the N Yorks Moors.
If she didn't use an eBike she wouldn't be able to stay with me and would hate the climbs or I would have to hang back and she would still hate the climbs.

Good on her cool.gif

Even though according to Rookie, she is clearly doing it wrong biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 08:07
Post #43

Member No.: 317

When my posts were clearly about ROAD bikes and this is not?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
emanresu
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 18:49
Post #44

Member No.: 13,324

As an example our club beginners rides average 15mph as that has proven to be fine for people just getting into (or back into) cycling, unless you’ve tried it or are very unfit (I did say didn’t have to be that fit...) perhaps you should try it before calling me out?

Just for personal information and not part of the thread, what cadence is that? I think I may have the wrong gearing.....

+Quote Post
captain swoop
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 08:42
Post #45

QUOTE (emanresu @ Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 18:49) *
As an example our club beginners rides average 15mph as that has proven to be fine for people just getting into (or back into) cycling, unless you’ve tried it or are very unfit (I did say didn’t have to be that fit...) perhaps you should try it before calling me out?

Just for personal information and not part of the thread, what cadence is that? I think I may have the wrong gearing.....

Cadence is not connected to speed as such.

On the flat and 'moderate' hills my usual cadence is between 85 and 95. That stays the same whatever gear I am in.
On a steep climb it goes down to around 65 to 75, a 'grind'
On a 'sprint' it can rise to 100 - 105.

Choose your gear to match the cadence you want to hold. As you get fitter you will be able to hold the cadence at higher gears.

I have a 'smart' trainer that I put my bike on in the winter. I go by the power in watts that I generate. Out on the road I have a power meter on my crank that also shows me what power I am putting out.
You can hold different power levels for different types of training. You do a specific test ride to establish your 'ftp' that is your 'functional threshold power'. That is the power you can sustain for an hour.
Then you do exercises based around it. Pushing over or holding under depending on the type of improvements you want to aerobic or anaerobic performance or endurance, climbing etc.

This post has been edited by captain swoop: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 08:46

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 09:11
Post #46

As above, cadence should be near constant and is individual, I stick pretty constantly at about 90rpm in the UK and about 80rpm when in India (as it improves thermal efficiency and reduces fluid consumption and sweating/cramping in the hotter weather), that is apart from when I'm mountain biking as cadence is less easily managed on short undulations of terrain, but otherwise I keep to that cadence up hills and down dales.

Most beginners will start at about a 55-65 rpm cadence or even less and you'll see it on old TdF videos, it's now understood (and was pioneered by Michelle Ferrari and used when bringing Lance Armstrong back from cancer when he'd lost his muscle bulk and ability to grind out at 60rpm) that while a higher cadence is less energy efficient (you burn more calories/mile) it is less fatiguing and hence you can produce more power (as a lower cadence requires more torque to make the same power and its that 'effort' that fatigues you) for longer as long as you can fuel (energy intake) for it. As you're burning more energy it also makes you run a bit hotter so your fluid intake has to match as well (mid day in India at circa 35C the 10 rpm drop in cadence can take me from 2litres of water per hour to 1.5l/hr which is a weight and hassle saving worth taking)

As I'm mostly doing social MTBing (and not racing) I don't get as scientific at CS has above, though I do occasionally monitor my power on stationary bikes.

All that said 2 friends of mine can both cycle further and faster and they both ride single speed! (One is a multiple WEMBO rainbow jersey winner in the single speed category).

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
captain swoop
post Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 20:49
Post #47

I spend most of my time on the road (although not racing apart from against myself) but not racing apart from against myself or trying to get a good time on a Strava 'segment' or against other riders on the Zwift virtual world.
Monitoring FTP against heart rate and cadence is the only way to tell if you are improving or 'holding your own' when it comes to fitness.

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 20:46) *
I spend most of my time on the road (although not racing apart from against myself) but not racing apart from against myself or trying to get a good time on a Strava 'segment' or against other riders on the Zwift virtual world.
Monitoring FTP against heart rate and cadence is the only way to tell if you are improving or 'holding your own' when it comes to fitness.
I do go off road, I have a nice LaPierre 'Zesty' full susser but I don't like getting wet or dirty so I only use it in good weather in the summer smile.gif

My Boardman

My Zesty

My trainer

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 9 Jan 2019 - 07:41
Post #48

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Mon, 7 Jan 2019 - 21:49) *

At my age just holding my own would be an achievement!

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
captain swoop
post Thu, 10 Jan 2019 - 00:34
Post #49

Ooh Matron!

+Quote Post
Half_way
post Fri, 11 Jan 2019 - 15:59
Post #50

Member No.: 57,365

There are a few E bike videos on youtube, someone in the UK has one rated at 9kw here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIhfwjWuj-I

Speed run starts here https://youtu.be/HIhfwjWuj-I?t=625

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 18:02
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here