PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

NIP speeding but car not at the scene..
bearclaw
post Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 10:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 95,103

One of the lads in the office has come in with an NIP for speeding, (39 in a 30 limit, fixed camera).

Was last week and the date of the alleged offence he was in the office (as was the car in fact). The location is 300 miles away north of Newcastle - we are in Berkshire...

He can produce evidence in the face of me and a few others as we were sat in a meeting at the time and the minutes show it.

Whats the best way to deal with this? I presume it's either a cloned car (unlikley) or I suspect more probably a misread plate. Is it best to go through the formal return of the NIP and a letter or would he be best phoning up, and asking them to have another look at the photos as he suspects a misread?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 10:38
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 10:47
Post #2

Member No.: 90,659

Drop the camera team a phone call or email - as you say it is 99% a plate misread and they will confirm immediately the matter is dropped.

Do it after fourteen days and you are doing your good deed for the day as then they cannot pursue the other driver.

Some say you should return the S172 anyway to cover your bases but honestly, for me life is to short if you have an email confirming it is there mistake.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 10:49

+Quote Post
post Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 11:02
Post #3

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 10:47) *
Do it after fourteen days and you are doing your good deed for the day ...

No, you're helping a criminal to evade justice. wink.gif

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Wed, 7 Mar 2018 - 20:30
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

If it is all but certain that the SCP couldn't be bothered to do their job properly, I personally would not be minded to enable them to milk the correct customer. However, if there was any realistic possibility that my plate had been cloned, I would want it sorted out yesterday and to have an appropriate paper trail.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:35
Post #5

He's spoken with the camera people and their informal conversation on the phone was such that it was "very unlikley" that this is a misread as the plate is very clear.

He's asked for the pictures to be sent for helping in ID teh driver - so shall wait and see...

+Quote Post
Stoofa
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:57
Post #6

Member No.: 45,072

QUOTE (bearclaw @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:35) *
He's spoken with the camera people and their informal conversation on the phone was such that it was "very unlikley" that this is a misread as the plate is very clear.

He's asked for the pictures to be sent for helping in ID teh driver - so shall wait and see...

Then the next potential is a cloned plate. So you're looking for distinguishing things about your own vehicle or things on the picture that aren't on your car etc.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 23:04
Post #7

Member No.: 96,238

QUOTE (bearclaw @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:35) *

He would have done better to send them photos of his car along with a letter stating that it wasn't there

Asking for pictures sends the message that he's not 100% sure

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 16:42
Post #8

OK so he has the pictures...

He drives a black Honda. The car in question has a perfectly readable plate that is the same as both plates on his car and his V5. But the car in question is a blue Toyota...

With a little poking at random variations on the plate through the DVLA details checker, we found that if you change his plate letters by one, you get a blue Toyota. Think of a plate ending in HHS and change it to HSS.

Look up that car on the MOT checker and it failed for a deteriorated front number plate last MOT....

He's on the phone now but I dont think they will be sorted out over the phone and while we are happy to go to court it's an awful lot of lost earnings if we all have to go. I've suggested we all provide a signed statement that he was here at the time and a copy of the minutes and actions from that meeting, and he can send the info he's found and the likely cause for it along with the signed s172....

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 16:50
Post #9

Member No.: 5,183

So the most probable conclusion is that a new number plate was ordered and the VRM was mistyped and no one noticed. Probably not a deliberate clone.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 17:06
Post #10

Member No.: 90,659

If they do not sort it out over the phone ask for the email address for the manager of the camera office and write them a concise email outlining the facts and that you expect them to look up the vehicle colour with the DVLA and then for the matter to be dropped.

Make sure the S172 is returned completed with a copy of them email.

You have done more than enough, it is not your colleague car there and it is the police's job to investigate. The normal route for a disputed plate is to ask for photos of your colleagues car to be sent but this is not needed as they can verify the colour without.

+Quote Post
bearclaw
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 17:24
Post #11

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 17:06) *
If they do not sort it out over the phone ask for the email address for the manager of the camera office and write them a concise email outlining the facts and that you expect them to look up the vehicle colour with the DVLA and then for the matter to be dropped.

Make sure the S172 is returned completed with a copy of them email.

You have done more than enough, it is not your colleague car there and it is the police's job to investigate. The normal route for a disputed plate is to ask for photos of your colleagues car to be sent but this is not needed as they can verify the colour without.

We guessed that whoever made the plates up had got it wrong.

The camera people asked for a s172 to be sent back signed and with a covering letter and said that would be the end of it and they would pass the matter to the relevant people - whether that be the DVLA or the police who knows.

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 16:50) *
So the most probable conclusion is that a new number plate was ordered and the VRM was mistyped and no one noticed. Probably not a deliberate clone.

Thats what we are thinking - it makes logical sense really with the MOT fail.

+Quote Post
facade
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 18:51
Post #12

Member No.: 1,847

FWIW, I bought a car once with a typo on the front numberplate, had it a couple of years without noticing, MOT'd every year etc. Then I broke the front numberplate, bought a new one using the reg on the back, and when I came to fit the "new" front, noticed that it was different! (it was double letter single letter, and should have been single letter double letter).

Never got pulled in the 2 years, despite the front plate being for a different coloured car.....

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 19:26
Post #13

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (facade @ Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 18:51) *
Then I broke the front numberplate, bought a new one using the reg on the back, and when I came to fit the "new" front, noticed that it was different! (it was double letter single letter, and should have been single letter double letter).

How is that ambiguity possible? Could you give a relevant example?

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
baggins1234
post Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 19:42
Post #14

Member No.: 39,849

QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 19:26) *
QUOTE (facade @ Thu, 15 Mar 2018 - 18:51) *
Then I broke the front numberplate, bought a new one using the reg on the back, and when I came to fit the "new" front, noticed that it was different! (it was double letter single letter, and should have been single letter double letter).

How is that ambiguity possible? Could you give a relevant example?

Presumably something along the lines of FR** EDD versus FR** EED

+Quote Post
facade
post Fri, 16 Mar 2018 - 06:58
Post #15

Member No.: 1,847

Apologies, thinking about it, it was the numbers. It should have been something like N533 XXX and the front plate was N553 XXX. It must have been repaired after an accident with a new bumper and reg. plate at the front. I've been looking for a photo of it as I can't for the life of me remember the actual reg.
If I hadn't broken the front plate (I hit something in the garage that hadn't been put away properly) I'd never have noticed as it was close enough to the correct one.
It probably returned the same make of car on a pnc check as they would have allocated a batch of numbers to the dealer.

I just remember the incident as it was out of the ordinary. Probably is quite a common mistake.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 20:22
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here