Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Debt collectors letter after original fine was sent to an old address
LAC
post Wed, 6 Nov 2019 - 15:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,507

Hi everyone,

I've been issued with a letter from a debt collection agency relating to a charge of using my phone whilst driving, offence was in September 2018.

All original documentation from the courts was sent to an old address, one which I had left in the summer of 2017. My licence had been updated and showed my new address at the time of the offence.

My log book will never have shown my old address (where the original correspondence was sent) so I'm unsure how it was sent to the wrong place.

I'm being asked to pay £645 for an original fine of £225. It's at the stage where the debt collection agency can visit my address as of tomorrow, and if they do even more charges will be added.

Is there any way of contacting the fine issuing department of the police or anything else I can do?

I have no issue with paying the original fine amount, but paying so much more is hard to stomach.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 23)
Advertisement
post Wed, 6 Nov 2019 - 15:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Wed, 13 Nov 2019 - 13:25
Post #21

Member No.: 15,642

Yes, because unti lthe SD is performed, its live.

You can, I believe, go to a solicitor and get teh SD done there. SHould cost a small amount - £10 or so.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 13 Nov 2019 - 16:18
Post #22

Member No.: 36,528

QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Wed, 13 Nov 2019 - 14:25) *
Yes, because unti lthe SD is performed, its live. You can, I believe, go to a solicitor and get teh SD done there. SHould cost a small amount - £10 or so.

But that alone will not stop the collection process, that SD would have to be sent to a court for the court to take action, and it has been said here that some courts are reluctant to accept a SD made elsewhere, so no apparent advantage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 13 Nov 2019 - 16:26
Post #23

Member No.: 18,483

The requirement under s 14 Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980 is to make and serve the SD. The court accepting it appears to be irrelevant, so long as it is done with 21 days. As a matter of law, I don’t see why the collection process should not halt at the point it is served.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 14 Nov 2019 - 00:47
Post #24

Member No.: 317

I agree, but if they don’t ‘accept’ it then while legally they should stop the collection they won’t be doing so!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 20th November 2019 - 17:36
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.