PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Police taking down my registration
Zod
post Sat, 19 Oct 2019 - 13:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,395

I was in Birmingham town centre today and was parked along side a row of wheelie bins. I was a few yards from an area of double yellows where there many cars parked on double yellows. They were nothing down their registrations on a device. I saw one of them note down my registration on their devices until I decided to drive off. I didn't see her take an image.

When I returned they were still there but placed a PCN on another cars windscreen.

Should I be expecting something via post?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Sat, 19 Oct 2019 - 13:24
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
stamfordman
post Sat, 19 Oct 2019 - 13:51
Post #2

Member No.: 59,924

Show us where this on google street view and where you were parked.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 19 Oct 2019 - 14:57
Post #3

Member No.: 38,559

Would not have been police unless what you call PCNs were actually FPNs for unnecessary obstruction or similar.
With either police or council CEO, a notice through the post is possible if you were parked unlawfully.
With the police, they only have to note your number and snap a couple of photos for evidence.
For council the CEO has to have started the PCN.... not too much consolation here as Birmingham devices now "start" the PCN when the reg number is put in.
But they also use the same device to make notes like wheel positions in time limited bays.

Bottom line.
Yes you may get something, if you do come back with details and we can see if we can help.
But do show us where.... Birmingham City Centre is full of parking restrictions, every yard of it as it is a Controlled Parking Zone so let's see where you were and we can perhaps make a better judgement.

+Quote Post
DastardlyDick
post Sun, 20 Oct 2019 - 09:18
Post #4

Member No.: 54,871

"Birmingham devices now "start" the PCN when the reg number is put in."
All Councils do that - it is, after all, when the CEO starts to "prepare a PCN". When else would be deemed to be the "start"?

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sun, 20 Oct 2019 - 09:51
Post #5

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Sun, 20 Oct 2019 - 10:18) *
"Birmingham devices now "start" the PCN when the reg number is put in."
All Councils do that - it is, after all, when the CEO starts to "prepare a PCN". When else would be deemed to be the "start"?

A good question DD and TBH, one I do not know the answer to, wish I did cos some of the postal PCNs we see are not kosher, possibly lawful but not strictly kosher.

Let me explain:-
To me, the way the legislation is phrased plus key cases seems to be directed at drivers who see a CEO preparing a PCN, leap into the car with a cry of '"I'm Ofski" and attempt to avoid getting one served in the normal way.
But the way it seems to be used is that a CEo sees a car possibly in contravention (as in this case), doesn't approach it to check or form any sort of belief beyond "it might be", sticks in the registration number and only then approaches and does the checks, gives the observation time (if any needed) etc.
If the driver then appears and drives off, quite possibly without even seeing the CEO, they may well get a postal PCN.
The legislation allows because "The PCN had been started"

But the parking in question may have been allowable, loading, alighting, BB, whatever.
To me, a PCN can only be truly started once the CEO has finished their checks, not 50 yards away at first sight of a possible.
Of course, similar could have happened with the old notebook and pen and, as quite possible in this case, the vehicle and possible PCN in question was bang to rights but I don't have to like it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 20th November 2019 - 09:46
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.