PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What’s the smallest amount you’d pay on your credit/debit card?
jdh
post Wed, 13 Jun 2018 - 21:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,224

A local council run car park will switch to pay by card or app only next week, the parking charge is only 20p so I’ll be faced with either having to pay 20p on my card or registering for an as yet unnamed app and pay an extra 20p for the privilege.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 38)
Advertisement
post Wed, 13 Jun 2018 - 21:24
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cabbyman
post Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 18:47
Post #21

Member No.: 16,066

From the merchant's point of view, I was delighted that 5 cars ranked in front of me refused a guy who didn't have cash, only card. He leapt into my car and off we went. It was a decent job too!!!! laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 18:51
Post #22

Member No.: 90,659

QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 12:26) *
QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 12:10) *
To be fair that is more that councils are generally rubbish at implementing this sort of technology rather than the technology itself.

You don't imagine that they design, build and install these payment systems themselves, do you? There's a whole industry that supplies them; if the council's guilty of anything it's probably buying on the basis of price rather than quality.

That is part of implementation surely? I'm in charge of an NHS project at the moment which involves rolling out a piece of equipment sourced from five different suppliers across four sites.

1. Research the spec and make sure it works on paper.
2. Find where it is already installed and check it works in the real world.
3. Do a small scale test with a couple of dozen beds and see how it works.
4. Only after a few months of testing roll it out across all beds.
5. Have someone on the hook to come down and fix it PDQ if it goes titsup.

It isn't really enough just to go with the first company that comes up on Google, then blame them if it turns out to be a crock of shite.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 18:56

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:28
Post #23

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:51) *
That is part of implementation surely?

No, that's procurement, not implementation. But either way it's the part of the process that councils tend to be s*** at.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:53
Post #24

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 20:28) *

No, that's procurement, not implementation. But either way it's the part of the process that councils tend to be s*** at.

They're not too good at implementation either.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 21:17
Post #25

QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 20:28) *

Fair enough. Our procurement department just buy what you tell them to if you give them the (metaphorical) money, and then throw you under the bus if it's wrong.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 22:49
Post #26

Member No.: 22,424

If they don't take card, they aren't getting my business. Infact, I'd go as far as to say if they don't take contactless, they don't get my money.

The only times I like to pay cash are for pay & display whenever paying by phone/card would cost more, and when I'm on a night out somewhere expensive where I just don't take my card. And for the collection at chapel. The father still hasn't got chip and pin added to the collection bowl.

Today I put the car in for a service and had to empty it of all my parking change. By the end of the day, half the change was gone. I had a hole in my trouser pocket I was unaware of dry.gif Yet another reason I hate cash with a passion.

I buy fruit out the vending machine at work- £0.05 for an apple. And I pay card.

Card allows me to see how I'm frittering money away, allows me instant access to move funds as required and just saves footering about with money.

I travelled round a fair bit of Europe recently and I still can't get over how many bars still only take cash. I hate carrying UK money never mind Euro's, Zloty's, Forrints and all the other monopoly money like currencies. I loaded a currency card before I went abroad with the intention of using it like a Visa in the shops. Instead it was a fricking cash machine card. rolleyes.gif It was like being stuck in the 1500's.

+Quote Post
typefish
post Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 08:09
Post #27

Member No.: 69,758

QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 23:49) *
The father still hasn't got chip and pin added to the collection bowl.

Ask him to add contactless payment functionality to the collection bowl

This post has been edited by typefish: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 08:09

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 09:37
Post #28

Member No.: 21,992

Whenever I make a cash purchase using a note or notes, I stuff the loose change in my back pocket, and then when I finally find myself in a position to buy something using JUST the change in my back pocket, I subconsciously feel like I've bought it for free.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 17:20
Post #29

Member No.: 1,326

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:25) *
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:15) *
I use cash for nearly everything, the only exception being petrol and (infrequent) online purchases.

I refuse to go into shops or establishments that don't accept cash.

Shops that dont accept cash!!! They don't exist surely?

There is a food shop called 'Tossed' in London next to the building where I used to work, that don't take cash. Also London buses don't.

It's pretty rare, I grant you, but there may be others.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 20:37
Post #30

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:25) *
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 19:15) *
I use cash for nearly everything, the only exception being petrol and (infrequent) online purchases.

I refuse to go into shops or establishments that don't accept cash.

Shops that dont accept cash!!! They don't exist surely?

Once at Luton airport I walked up to the EasyBus desk to buy a ticket, just to be told they took card only. So without dignifying them with an answer I walk 2 feet to the stand next to them which sold tickets for the combined bus ride to the station / train travel to London, and I just ask them "You do take actual money, right?"..."Yes of course!". Next time I was in Luton airport, EasyBus had a big sign up saying they accept cash.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 22:09
Post #31

I wonder how many people you've now told that easybus story too. Luton was it you say?

Ryanair get endless free PR by introducing or saying they will introduce some outlandish charge which will piss off a section of their customers, vefore moving onto something else next month.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 16 Jun 2018 - 01:22
Post #32

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Fri, 15 Jun 2018 - 23:09) *
I wonder how many people you've now told that easybus story too. Luton was it you say?

Actually apart from one personal friend, I think it's the first time I've every told anyone. Yes it was Luton Airport.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 10:08
Post #33

Member No.: 52,178

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 01:33) *
QUOTE (ford poplar @ Wed, 13 Jun 2018 - 23:53) *
AFAIK they can no longer charge an extra fee for paying by debit/credit/contactless card.

What's to stop them increasing all the prices and offering a discount for paying cash?

But it costs the operator money to handle the cash, e.g. to maintain the machines, to empty them each day and bank the cash. That's why adding a fee for the "convenience" of paying by card is a complete scam. There is a cost involved either way. So the car park operator should be paying RingGo/PayByPhone/whoever the cost of them running the system out of the proceeds of the parking fees, just as they pay for the maintenance of machines, cost of handling the cash, and so on.

+Quote Post
jdh
post Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 12:02
Post #34

Member No.: 1,224

I've asked the councillor involved in bringing in the card payments if there were any legal works involved in changing parking orders as they explicitly state "payment by coin or coins" as well as "pay & display", suddenly the process is delayed. No reply to my question though.

+Quote Post
typefish
post Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 12:17
Post #35

And just by coincidence it has been announced that paying with oil is more popular than with metal

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 12:23
Post #36

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (typefish @ Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 13:17) *

I doubt that turning up at your local Tesco with a can of 10W40 will get you very far. wink.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
typefish
post Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 13:05
Post #37

QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 13:23) *
QUOTE (typefish @ Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 13:17) *

I doubt that turning up at your local Tesco with a can of 10W40 will get you very far. wink.gif

Depends on whether or not you decide to use it on your feet

+Quote Post
Michael Gibson
post Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 13:31
Post #38

Member No.: 7,080

I've just paid 5p by debit card for a carrier bag from Waitrose.

Cool story, I know. Needs more dragons.

This post has been edited by Michael Gibson: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 - 13:31

+Quote Post
d123
post Tue, 19 Jun 2018 - 18:29
Post #39

Member No.: 41,505

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 14 Jun 2018 - 01:33) *
What's to stop them increasing all the prices and offering a discount for paying cash?

The law specifically covers that, it's not allowed. If a discount is offered, it cannot be offered only for a specific method of payment.

Discounts for a particular means of payment

13.2 Whilst encouraging customers to pay with a certain payment method is not prohibited, it is important that any discounts for use of a particular means of payment do not create a situation in which those making payments by other means are effectively faced with a surcharge that does not comply with the Regulations.

13.3 The government considers that, if a discounted price is offered for the use of any means of payment (whether that is a means of payment to which the Regulations apply or not):
• that same level of discount must be offered in all situations where regulation 6A(1) applies, so that there is no surcharge; and
• the difference between that discounted price and a higher price charged in any situation where regulation 4 or 6A(2) applies must be no more than the cost the payee faces in processing the means of payment in that situation.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/go...es-guidance.pdf

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 08:01
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here