PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5x NIPs sent to old address, Address correct on insurance and all relevant docs
Syntax_error
post Thu, 22 Mar 2018 - 20:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,052

Hi Guys. I have a complicated issue involving 5 separate NIPs sent to my previous address wrongly. Summary:

- A week ago I receive an NIP through the post for a speeding offence on 31st January (49 in a 40 zone). I return the NIP with my driving licence number (I was the driver) but circle the two dates to make them aware of the fact that the date of the offence and the current date are months apart.

- Two days later I receive a hand-delivered letter asking for information relating to a car investigation. Sender's address is the same postcode as the NIP. Not wanting to make my issue worse, I leave a message.

- Two days later I receive a call from the officer concerned informing me that I had in fact been issued 5 NIPs but that they all went to my previous address. He knew my insurance provider and told me that they provided him with that address. He told me about the implications of 5 NIPs (i.e. I would be given the option of a speed awareness course for the first offence but could receive 12 points - and hence a ban - for the remainder) and said that he will now send 'yellow' NIPs to my current address and that I should provide the details as required.

- I check my insurance, V5 and driving licence later and they all have my current address.

My issue:

All the NIPs were sent to my previous address apparently by my insurance provider. However, my insurance, as stated on my current policy, is my current address (as it was at the time of the offences). I can prove that by providing my insurance certificate.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should do next? I'm aware that the 14 days has passed on all the NIPs but the issue is regarding the address and that the original NIPs all went to my old address and cannot understand why the insurance company would have given the guy my old address details. If I can prove all my address details were correct do I do this at court or do I have the option of contacting the police or department dealing with the offences before it gets to that stage?

Many thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Thu, 22 Mar 2018 - 20:16
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
andy_foster
post Thu, 22 Mar 2018 - 20:38
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

Address correct on insurance and all relevant docs

The V5C is the only relevant document.

What is the date after the Doc.Ref. No at the bottom of page 2 of your V5C - N.B. we do not need the exact date, just an indication of whether it was before or after the dates of offences and by how long (approximately).

edited because I seemingly can't read

This post has been edited by andy_foster: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 - 20:55

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 22 Mar 2018 - 20:45
Post #3

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Syntax_error @ Thu, 22 Mar 2018 - 21:16) *
- I check my insurance, V5 and driving licence later and they all have my current address.

it’s only your V5C address that will be used to send out a NIP, so while you say it’s correct I’d be very sceptical and be checking that again.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Syntax_error
post Fri, 23 Mar 2018 - 17:52
Post #4

Member No.: 97,052

So I checked my V5C, which I hadn't originally checked (as I was sure it had been updated) and found that it still had my old address on. I clearly forgot to change my address when I moved house. I am now in the situation where I am liable to receive points for at least 4 of the NIPs. I am willing to take a Speed Awareness Course as it has been offered for the first offence but is there any way I can avoid the other 4 NIPs accruing points? This would of course mean a ban and I need my car to get to work and for childcare. How and when would I be able to give my mitigating circumstances?

Thank you.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 23 Mar 2018 - 18:10
Post #5

Member No.: 317

Once you get to an offence that triggers 12 points you’ll be invited to go to court, there you can present an exceptional hardship plea, this is NOT mitigation and whatever offences triggered the points are not strictly relevant. Data suggests circa 25% of ‘totters’ present a successful EH plea.

Short of a time machine I see no way of avoiding the points.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 - 18:11

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 23 Mar 2018 - 19:46
Post #6

Member No.: 49,223

What is your mitigation?

We're assuming the limit is correct?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 24 Mar 2018 - 12:29
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

Unless you can cobble together some kind of viable defence (e.g. the prosecution make an utter horlix of their case and the court don't 'verlook' any fatal flaws), the only legal way to avoid getting 12 points is to somehow persuade the police to drop one or more of the offences. Unlikely to succeed, but probably worth a try considering what you will otherwise face.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 16:09
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here