Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Electric car congestion charge
buscalls
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 10:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,469

Hi

I have an electric car. I drove in London for the first time last week aware of the exemption for electric vehicles re Congestion Charge. Nevertheless I checked the TFL website to make sure I was exempt only to find registration of vehicle was required at a cost of £10. Fine.

However after registration I was told it would take 10 working days to process and confirm and in the mean time I have to pay the Congestion Charge. I found this grossly unfair. I called TFL to confirm this was correct since my car model doesn't have anything but an electric option, which is evident anyway from the vehicle registration information. They confirmed this.

I then thought that once confirmed as electric after 10 working days the Congestion Charge paid would be refunded only to be told this would not be the case.

I think this arrangement is completely unjust and nonsensical and can only be justified as a revenue raising exercise.

I am seriously considering challenging this in some way eg raising a small claims case against TFL once the vehicle has been confirmed as electric (which is evident to anyone with a pulse).

Any thoughts on this and whether it has been challenged in the past? Or method to challenge this?

If TFL want to encourage low emissions they shouldn't sting people who are pursuing this with a gatekeeper charge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 25)
Advertisement
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 10:05
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
stamfordman
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 15:32
Post #21

Member No.: 59,924

Also, the electric vehicle exemption will end in 2025.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 15:33
Post #22

Member No.: 42,618

My understanding is that the vehicle only becomes "registered" at the end of the 10 day period.

As far as I can see, you don't register the vehicle, you contact TFL and make "An application to enter particulars of a vehicle on the register", the vehicle only becomes "registered" once TFL has accepted your application, which takes them 10 days to do (and this is not an unreasonable timeframe).

What you seem to be arguing is that an application to enter particulars of vehicles on the register entitles you t the exemption, but that is clearly not what the order says.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
buscalls
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 15:38
Post #23

My argument is that if TFL requires registration to provide entry on their database for processing then that is fine. Until a vehicle is registered payment of congestion charge is fine, though not preferable. However once a vehicle is registered as exempt why retain the congestion charge? Vehicle meets low emissions requirements

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 15:46
Post #24

Member No.: 59,924

QUOTE (buscalls @ Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 16:38) *
However once a vehicle is registered as exempt why retain the congestion charge?

I thought your point was getting a refund. All vehicles are subject to the congestion charge but some are exempted or discounted for the time being and these change.

I do think the registration time of 10 days is too long given it should be an automated process. That's why I asked how long it actually takes - you'll know soon.

+Quote Post
buscalls
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 15:48
Post #25

Yes refund of congestion charge post successful registration.

Also agree registration is too long. Argument for instant registration with £10 fee as per 9(3) but then TFL would have to forego the congestion charge which i don't imagine they would like to!

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 16:08
Post #26

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (buscalls @ Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 16:38) *
However once a vehicle is registered as exempt why retain the congestion charge?

Because the scheme order says they can?

As I've tried to explain, your perception of this being "unfair" is neither there nor there. If you think the order should be amended, this is a political point rather than a legal one, at the appropriate redress is to lobby your London Assembly member.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 00:39
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here