Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

M25 Flash - what to expect?
aj84
post Fri, 22 Mar 2019 - 20:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,107

Hi all,

Not much in terms details apart from most likely something is going to make its way to me I think...

Dreaded M25 going towards the A3 junction (10) so 9-10 / just before the Cobham services and between first gantry to second it was 60mph.
Second gantry was 40mph and I got double flashed.
I had a dashcam front/rear so had a quick look and it looks like at the point of the flash, I was doing around 66-67mph.

If they look at it as a 67 in a 40, what would I be looking at ? 0 points currently on licence.

No real excuses, I was doing between 65 and 70 past the first gantry at 60mph and letting the car slow down but was switching lanes to go into the first lane at the point of going under the 40mph sign completely missing it until the snap.

Looking around the web, it's likely the Hadecs/Hadecs3 camera as it was the one on the side of the gantry.

In total there were 4 flashes but I assume 2 were for me and 2 for the car in the lane next to me.

Thanks all

This post has been edited by aj84: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 - 20:31
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Fri, 22 Mar 2019 - 20:18
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 22 Mar 2019 - 23:58
Post #2

Member No.: 90,659

Summons for 66mph and over, 3pts/£100 for anything less if they pursue.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 10:18
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

Hopefully your speed was overestimated and is within the fixed penalty threshold (65mph).

Sentencing guidelines would be 1 week's earnings, costs of £85 and surcharge of 10% of the fine (min £30).

6 points most likely, but possibly a short ban.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
aj84
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 18:38
Post #4

Thanks both - Spent most of the night looking at the various threads on here.

Out of interest - and I fully appreciate in this case the variable speeds were being used to slow down traffic which did eventually come to a halt... - Gantry before was 60 and the next 40.
At the point of the 60 sign, the car was at around 75mph and by the time the next Gantry popped up at 40, it was around 66 give or take.
Is the expectation that at the point of the gantry, you should be at the speed indicated - ie : I should have hit the brakes from 60-40 if I was at 60 to start with?
I have seen a thread on here where it said essentially this is fine and if someone was too close behind you, it would be their problem.
Reason I ask is at that point in time, all lanes were far too clear to be doing 40 on approach to it but perfectly possible from the 40 gantry to the point it started to slow down.

Either way this is not a denial of the speed- but it's been a while since I did the M25 and just can't remember if it used to be a gradual 60 / 50 / 40 drop or has it always been a sudden 60>40

thanks again and the waiting game begins I guess - also 4 flashes in total looking at the rear cam, I assume it's a pair of flashes per car?

This post has been edited by aj84: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 18:45

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 20:51
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

The limit starts at the sign (gantry) - enforcement begins a small distance after it.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 24 Mar 2019 - 21:18
Post #6

The law is that you should be at the indicated speed when you pass under the sign. If you didn't anticipate the sign and slammed on the brakes and someone hit you from behind then arguably you would be guilty of careless driving, as a careful and competent driver sees the huge illuminated sign and gradually slows before. That's especially true on the M25 where plenty of careless and incompetent drivers struggle with the idea of safe distances between the vehicle in front.

In reality it would very likely be left to insurance companies.

If a sign changes shortly before you pass underneath there is a sixty second grace period before enforcement starts so there is no need to panic brake.

+Quote Post
aj84
post Mon, 25 Mar 2019 - 10:13
Post #7

Thanks both -

Having just reviewed the footage again, there is no excuse really - I'm changing lanes during both gantry speed signs and it turns out I did go through a 50 which I have missed during the lane switch - I can't think any other reason I've missed the big red sign along with even the dashcam blaring out speed camera ahead angry4.gif

Thanks again and will update if I get anything and what the outcome is.

+Quote Post
aj84
post Sun, 7 Apr 2019 - 19:27
Post #8

Hi all,
Just a quick update - I posted this initially when the "flash" happened and that was 16 days ago with nothing through the letterbox.
In regards to address etc - Everything is registered correctly as far as I know (V5 is in my name and address and has been for 2.3 years on this car). Near to when I first got this car, I had received an NIP to this address (34 in a 30 approaching a 40 by a mobile speed cam) so I am happy address etc is fine.
And its not a lease or company car.

Is it too soon to party? Lessons have been learnt and I am driving like an old man these days but would be good to know if I can stop stressing everytime the doorbell tells me the postie is near the door :- )

Thanks again

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 7 Apr 2019 - 19:32
Post #9

QUOTE (aj84 @ Sun, 7 Apr 2019 - 20:27) *
(34 in a 30 approaching a 40 by a mobile speed cam)...

Is it too soon to party? Lessons have been learnt and I am driving like an old man these days but would be good to know if I can stop stressing everytime the doorbell tells me the postie is near the door :- )

Thanks again

If you got a NIP for 34 in a 30 you are probably about to wake up and discover this is all a dream. Enforcement starts at 35mph, unless you are in a pub where most men will have received a NIP for 31mph in a 30mph zone, run over and killed a cyclist, etc.

+Quote Post
aj84
post Tue, 9 Apr 2019 - 19:23
Post #10

I hit the 4 instead of the 7 on the keyboard :-it was 37/30 approaching a 40 (Thorpe Lea Road B388 just before the Thorpe Lea fisheries)

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Wed, 10 Apr 2019 - 18:04
Post #11

Member No.: 1,326

37 mph makes more sense.

It seems strange you didn't receive anything for that speed, but if everything is as you say, any NIP would be out of time. The only downside is that they may have sent one and it didn't arrive or got lost.

I suppose it's also possible the other car got the ticket instead.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here