Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Contravention Code and Description, 34J-Being in a Bus Lane
Glen1963
post Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 18:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,373

I hope someone can help me here?
With the pictures and video stream laid out on Lambeth Councils website does not tell the whole picture!

Whilst I am under no illusion that if I have broken the law then I must pay the price for contravention. What I don't like is when only half the story is available and I am criminalised for what cannot be seen.

As it can clearly be seen in the video evidence, I am in my company van and in the Bus Lane(75 yards in length). At the start of the video an Ambulance with Blue flashers and sirens can also be seen. This I had moved over for to allow clear passage. It was then only 30-35 yards to the two lane section leading up to the lights for which I was travelling straight on(Left hand lane only!) to my destination. Now I know it is not the law to move over for emergency vehicles as they are apparently trained to drive through such conditions but nonetheless common road sense should come into play!
What the pictures nor the video do not show is the Bus parked at the start of the Bus lane totally obscuring any signage(7am-7pm Mon-Sun) which I had just overtaken when hearing the Ambulances siren behind me. The road has only in the last two weeks been relaid and new signage put up! I must add that if the bus had not been parked where it was the signage is very clear for all road users to see. As can be clearly seen the roads were very clear of traffic(Not your usual London mayhem!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

https://youtu.be/ZjHFNXKa8lE

This post has been edited by Glen1963: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 03:29
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  PCN_RE66_FHW_1.pdf ( 795.38K ) Number of downloads: 12
Attached File  PCN_RE66_FHW_2.pdf ( 650.04K ) Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Advertisement
post Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 18:52
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Glen1963
post Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 19:06
Post #2

This post has been edited by Glen1963: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 03:32

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 19:13
Post #3

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 20:06) *

The video link doesn't work and the PDF wont open. The photos don't look good for you

You are not being criminalized for a PCN

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Glen1963
post Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 19:38
Post #4

what is a good host for videos please. I tried using Vimeo to no avail!!

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 23:31
Post #5

QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 20:38) *
what is a good host for videos please. I tried using Vimeo to no avail!!

try youtube

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Glen1963
post Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 03:25
Post #6

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 12:29
Post #7

QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 04:25) *

IMO its a 50/50 shot at adjudication, and I cannot see the council cancelling. But who are you in relation to the addressee of the PCN

--------------------

+Quote Post
DJ Lexy
post Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 14:42
Post #8

Member No.: 86,985

QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 19:52) *
common road sense should come into play!

I really wish people would stop doing that - it's really a terrible idea. The sensible thing to do is stay where you are and let the ambulance zoom up the empty bus lane. There's nothing worse than when an ambulance has an empty bus lane to zoom up and half the cars just pull into it and stop.

Anyway, on to your specific contravention. You are allowed to pull into a bus lane and stop to let an emergency vehicle pass. But when you pull off again, you must immediately leave the bus lane - you can't drive straight up it. Although an ambulance with blue lights can be seen in your video, there's no way the council will back down on this one, and adjudicators would probably find that the contravention did technically occur because they can't consider mitigating circumstances.

This post has been edited by DJ Lexy: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 14:44

+Quote Post
Glen1963
post Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 13:28
Post #9

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 13:29) *
QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 04:25) *

IMO its a 50/50 shot at adjudication, and I cannot see the council cancelling. But who are you in relation to the addressee of the PCN

I am an employee and driving a company vehicle!

QUOTE (DJ Lexy @ Fri, 12 Jul 2019 - 15:42) *
QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Thu, 11 Jul 2019 - 19:52) *
common road sense should come into play!

I really wish people would stop doing that - it's really a terrible idea. The sensible thing to do is stay where you are and let the ambulance zoom up the empty bus lane. There's nothing worse than when an ambulance has an empty bus lane to zoom up and half the cars just pull into it and stop.

Anyway, on to your specific contravention. You are allowed to pull into a bus lane and stop to let an emergency vehicle pass. But when you pull off again, you must immediately leave the bus lane - you can't drive straight up it. Although an ambulance with blue lights can be seen in your video, there's no way the council will back down on this one, and adjudicators would probably find that the contravention did technically occur because they can't consider mitigating circumstances.

The bus lane was only empty on passing the parked bus which is not visible in any of the pics/video and nobopdy stopped in the bus lane! It just happened all so quickly and at the time I thought I was doing the right thing by not causing the ambulance to chicane along the road. BTW the ambulance turned right at the lights!

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 18:48
Post #10

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 14:28) *
The bus lane was only empty on passing the parked bus which is not visible in any of the pics/video and nobopdy stopped in the bus lane! It just happened all so quickly and at the time I thought I was doing the right thing by not causing the ambulance to chicane along the road. BTW the ambulance turned right at the lights!

None of this explains why you didn't move back to the general traffic lance once the ambulance had passed.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 - 09:23

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
Glen1963
post Mon, 15 Jul 2019 - 06:26
Post #11

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 19:48) *
QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Sun, 14 Jul 2019 - 14:28) *

None off this explains why you didn't move back to the general traffic lance once the ambulance had passed.

The only reason I never moved back to the outside lane was after 20 yards the lanes divide and the left lane was my intended route for no more than 40yds(lefthand lane = straight on and right hand lane to turn right!). In other words I was no more than 50yds from my parking bay at our office!

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 15 Jul 2019 - 09:24
Post #12

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Glen1963 @ Mon, 15 Jul 2019 - 07:26) *
The only reason I never moved back to the outside lane was after 20 yards the lanes divide and the left lane was my intended route for no more than 40yds(lefthand lane = straight on and right hand lane to turn right!). In other words I was no more than 50yds from my parking bay at our office!

None of that is a defence and IMO 40 yards is too much for de-minimis. I'm not sure I would risk the discount on this basis alone.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 24th July 2019 - 07:45
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.