Group: Members
Member No.: 96,017

Hi,

First of all I know I am stupid.

I received a SJP today for an offence from 05/08/17

I got caught doing 133 in a 70.

The NIP/S172 was 01/09/2017

I was caught my a mobile camera on the A303 in Somerset

I was in a hire car that much more powerful then mine and I admit I probably was going fast but I didn't think I was going that fast

I have a clean licence. But have had points in the past (again for speeding) and I attended a course once.

If I lose my car I lose my job as I am a contractor.

This is the first time I have ever been in trouble with the law and I don't know where to turn.

Can someone advise on the best course of action?

Thank you in advance

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:38
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:44
Post #2

Member No.: 37,614

For that excess you will be banned - absolutely no chance of anything else. The SJP will pass it on to court for you to appear.

56 days is the normal max ban for speeding, but the guidelines say "Where an offender is driving grossly in excess of the speed limit the court should consider a disqualification in excess of 56 days".

Appearing in court, and making a sincere apology and asking for the ban to be as short as possible is all you can do.

+Quote Post
Ihavenooriginalt...
post Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:46
Post #3

Member No.: 96,017

QUOTE (AntonyMMM @ Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:44) *
For that excess you will be banned - absolutely no chance of anything else. The SJP will pass it on to court for you to appear.

56 days is the normal max ban for speeding, but the guidelines say "Where an offender is driving grossly in excess of the speed limit the court should consider a disqualification in excess of 56 days".

Appearing in court, and making a sincere apology and asking for the ban to be as short as possible is all you can do.

When I plead guilty will I be summoned to court automatically or will I need to request it?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:56
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Ihavenooriginalthought @ Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:46) *
When I plead guilty will I be summoned to court automatically or will I need to request it?

It will be automatic - they'll 'adjourn' and request your presence as they won't consider points only. Or if you prefer you can ask them to revert to a normal court hearing and bypass the SJP. (It may delay sentencing if you go through the SJP first which may or may not be desirable)

QUOTE (Ihavenooriginalthought @ Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:38) *
If I lose my car I lose my job as I am a contractor.

You will not be making an 'exceptional hardship plea' as this applies to totting (12 points) to avoid/reduce a 6 months ban. The bench can consider similar arguments but that excess is unlikely to sway them towards points.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 16:54

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 19:16
Post #5

Member No.: 36,528

As above, disqualification is inevitable, all you can do is try to persuade the court to keep the period as short as possible. The "more powerful than my usual car" is never an impressive approach, it no doubt had a speedometer and 130mph feels very different from 70mph. It also makes it sound as though you were barely in control of the car.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard_Z
post Wed, 17 Jan 2018 - 20:12
Post #6

Member No.: 95,732

As matter of curiosity, was it a marked van?

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 09:21
Post #7

Member No.: 9,683

The OP also says he has never been in trouble with the law but goes on to say he's had speeding points and an SAC before.

I don't think the courts will take kindly to someone doing almost double the speed limit.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 09:37
Post #8

Member No.: 36,528

QUOTE (roythebus @ Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 09:21) *
The OP also says he has never been in trouble with the law but goes on to say he's had speeding points and an SAC before.

Many people do not think of speeding as really criminal, not like robbing a bank say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 09:39
Post #9

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 09:37) *
QUOTE (roythebus @ Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 09:21) *

Many people do not think of speeding as really criminal, not like robbing a bank say.

Well in fairness the courts to distinguish between regulatory offences, and offences which exist to redress a moral wrong.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 21:43
Post #10

Member No.: 90,659

OP a contractor surely if you lose your licence you just get another contract at the end of your ban, and enjoy a long unpaid holiday?

Obviously it will make hiring cars in future more difficult, and you will need to factor that into your future work.

As others have said unless you have good reason to dispute the speed to a meaningful degree then expect a ban of over two months, unfortunately mitigation at that speed is unlikely to achieve much and may just make them think you don't appreciate the seriousness of it. Smartly dressed, contrite and apologetic is the way to go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 08:52
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here