PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PCN Manchester Oxford Street Bus Lane, Bus Lane Contravention Oxford Street (Whitworth Str West to Chepstow St)
Ttab92
post Sun, 4 Aug 2019 - 21:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103,909

Attached Image

Hi,

I was driving and I turned onto oxford street which had turned into a bus lane but had no idea at the time due to no signs being present at the traffic light but there are signs on most other lights when turning onto oxford road. The only sign present is one once you turn and its right in your peripheral vision ( I saw this after going to the area again after receiving the ticket) and i did not see that sign at all during the actual incident. There were no car/buses on the road at the time i was there and i had no real reason to go that way and if i would have knew it was a bus lane i would have just avoided the area and it was easy to navigate around it.

I have attached the PCN.
I have seen many cases similar to mine on the site where an appeal was sent (and usually rejected) then if appealed again it goes to an independent adjuticator who has in many cases ruled in favour of the driver due to inadequate signage.

So i just wanted to ask if i should appeal using the same letters as previous appeals in previous threads or make my own appeal letter, also if anyone else has any other advise i would truly appreciate it.

Thanks

This post has been edited by Ttab92: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 08:47
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sun, 4 Aug 2019 - 21:19
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 11:44
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

Since this case http://bit.ly/2TKSfyu we have not heard of anyone losing an appeal at any of these locations. Post a draft on before submitting it to the council, but you don't really need to make it very long or complicated, just explain that you didn't see the sign and didn't know it was a bua gate.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:14
Post #3

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 12:44) *
Since this case http://bit.ly/2TKSfyu we have not heard of anyone losing an appeal at any of these locations. Post a draft on before submitting it to the council, but you don't really need to make it very long or complicated, just explain that you didn't see the sign and didn't know it was a bua gate.

Thanks for the reply cp8759,
I have quickly drafted a reply as you said it doesn't need to be long winded and just mention that i didn't see the sign and didn't know it was a bus gate/lane.
Please let me know if this is okay or if anything needs changing.
Thanks, I really appreciate all the help.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to appeal against a bus lane penalty charge.
As you can see from the pictures on the bus lane ticket that the roads were empty and I accidentally entered a bus lane as I did not see any signs that indicated that I had entered a bus lane, as I would have avoided this area if I had known it was a bus lane.
I am hoping you can cancel this charge.

King Regards,

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:29
Post #4

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:14) *

I have quickly drafted a reply as you said it doesn't need to be long winded and just mention that i didn't see the sign and didn't know it was a bus gate/lane.

Dear Sir/Madam

As you can see from the pictures on the bus lane ticket that the roads were empty and I accidentally entered a bus lane as I did not see any signs that indicated that I had entered a bus lane, as I would have avoided this area if I had known it was a bus lane.

King Regards,

No do not admit you entered a bus lane, more along the lines of you are very surprised by the PCN as there are no signs indicating a bus lane on the route you took.

An older one but still relevant

I made representations that the signage was inadequate to convey the restriction, contrary to LATOR1996 regulation 18.

The authority have provided no evidence of signage in place, nor do they give explanation in the Notice of rejection as to why they have not done so. My own research leads me to submit thus. On approach to Oxford st along Whitworth st I did not see any signs warning of a bus lane restriction. Later checks show a map type directional sign with the motor vehicles prohibited sign. I contend that whilst navigating in a busy city centre only peripheral attention would be given to this sign, main attention being on the approaching traffic lights and pedestrians in the vicinity. The prohibited vehicle sign I now know from research to be sign (619) does not signify a bus lane restriction, although I am now aware that with the addition of a plate listing exemptions that it may be used. Even if I had seen it on its own it could not make me aware of a bus lane restriction.

The first sign that correctly signs the restriction is at the junction and hidden by the traffic lights until committed to making the turn. It is placed and orientated in such a manner as to warn vehicles travelling straight on along Oxford st not for vehicles turning left out of whitworth st

The placement of this sign failing at regulation 18 of LATOR 1996

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:38
Post #5

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:22) *

Dear Sir/Madam

King Regards,

No do not admit you entered a bus lane, more along the lines of you are very surprised by the PCN as there are no signs indicating a bus lane on the route you took.

Thanks for the advise,
What about this?

Sorry if there are any mistakes, Just a bit busy at the moment.
Thanks

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was very surprised to have received this PCN as there were no signs to indicate that I was entering a ‘bus lane’. As you can see from the pictures from the incident that the roads are empty and I had no need to enter the bus lane.
I am hoping you can cancel this charge,

Kind Regards,

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:29) *

Dear Sir/Madam

King Regards,

I made representations that the signage was inadequate to convey the restriction, contrary to LATOR1996 regulation 18.

The authority have provided no evidence of signage in place, nor do they give explanation in the Notice of rejection as to why they have not done so. My own research leads me to submit thus. On approach to Oxford st along Whitworth st I did not see any signs warning of a bus lane restriction. Later checks show a map type directional sign with the motor vehicles prohibited sign. I contend that whilst navigating in a busy city centre only peripheral attention would be given to this sign, main attention being on the approaching traffic lights and pedestrians in the vicinity. The prohibited vehicle sign I now know from research to be sign (619) does not signify a bus lane restriction, although I am now aware that with the addition of a plate listing exemptions that it may be used. Even if I had seen it on its own it could not make me aware of a bus lane restriction.

The first sign that correctly signs the restriction is at the junction and hidden by the traffic lights until committed to making the turn. It is placed and orientated in such a manner as to warn vehicles travelling straight on along Oxford st not for vehicles turning left out of whitworth st

Could I just post the above verbatim and would this work?

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:40
Post #6

QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:38) *

Dear Sir/Madam

King Regards,

Thanks for the advise,
What about this?

Thanks

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was very surprised to have received this PCN as there were no signs to indicate that I was entering a ‘bus lane’. As you can see from the pictures from the incident that the roads are empty and I had no need to enter the bus lane.

Kind Regards,

Dear Sir/Madam

King Regards,

Yes you can use it, but no it will not work with the council who will not accept the signage is flawed but it is enough to give access to adjudication and as CP said non have lost since the Watkins decision

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:46
Post #7

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:40) *
QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 16:38) *

Dear Sir/Madam

King Regards,

Thanks for the advise,
What about this?

Thanks

Dear Sir/Madam,

Kind Regards,

Dear Sir/Madam

King Regards,

Yes you can use it, but no it will not work with the council who will not accept the signage is flawed but it is enough to give access to adjudication and as CP said non have lost since the Watkins decision

so it worth only using the above if it goes to adjudication or is it better to use it in the initial appeal process?

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:55
Post #8

No it is good enough for representations to the council. They would reject anything so its not worth putting in any great effort but for adjudication we will beef it up quite a bit

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:58
Post #9

Thanks
Will just send that to the council and then once I hear back from the council then I will let you know

Thanks for your help

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 04:34
Post #10

Hi everyone,
As expected the appeal was rejected.
So I'm going to go forward with pushing it to adjudication.
I'll have a look at what is required and I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 21 Aug 2019 - 08:55
Post #11

Let's see the rejection letter.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 14:31
Post #12

Hi,
Thanks for your reply
I've uploaded the rejection letter

This post has been edited by Ttab92: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 14:32
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 14:50
Post #13

QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:31) *
Hi,
Thanks for your reply

All pages please, mistakes that can win are often made in the small print

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:04
Post #14

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:50) *
QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:31) *
Hi,
Thanks for your reply

All pages please, mistakes that can win are often made in the small print

I've uploaded all the pages
Please let me know if all pics are clear and if you need any other information

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:30
Post #15

Not seen that mistake by Manchester before, but all references to the time you have to act say date of this letter. It is not the case the correct date is date of service of the letter.

They include a page explaining what the date of service is but absent any reference to service how would you understand its relevance given the wording of the letter

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:33
Post #16

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 16:30) *
Not seen that mistake by Manchester before, but all references to the time you have to act say date of this letter. It is not the case the correct date is date of service of the letter.

They include a page explaining what the date of service is but absent any reference to service how would you understand its relevance given the wording of the letter

So can this be used against them?
Or is the best way to go about this is to appeal to the adjudicators?

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:43
Post #17

QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 16:33) *
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 16:30) *

So can this be used against them?
Or is the best way to go about this is to appeal to the adjudicators?

All you can do now is appeal to the adjudicator or pay and the chances of winning are to high to think about that IMO

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ttab92
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 15:50
Post #18

Is it worth uploading any extra evidence or just appeal as is without any extra information and it should be okay?

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 17:05
Post #19

QUOTE (Ttab92 @ Fri, 23 Aug 2019 - 16:50) *
Is it worth uploading any extra evidence or just appeal as is without any extra information and it should be okay?

no load to add you are making a formal appeal. dont rush give us time to help you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 25 Aug 2019 - 11:41
Post #20

For now I would just register the appeal with the tribunal, write "detailed grounds to follow" in the reasons box. This way the council is forced to submit its evidence first.

The grounds to select are:

1) The alleged contravention did not occur.
2) The amount demanded exceeds the amount due in the circumstances of the case.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 - 11:41

--------------------
No, I am not a lawyer.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 17th September 2019 - 17:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.