Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Smart Parking Facebook group
RD400E
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023

I'm not sure if I can post links here so for the moment I won't

There is a Facebook group formed yesterday at around 19:30 that has already got over 770 members!
The title is "Smart Parking Problems Westgate Park Basildon"
It's an open group so can be easily found.

So far it appears almost everyone attempting to park here or even pick up a passenger is being invoiced to the tune of £49.50
Machines not working, Registration numbers not being recorded, even straight forward breaches of the BPA's T&C's with regards
to ANPR.

Local councillors, MP's and even the evening Echo are involved.

People are being 'Invoiced' for no reason, even valid tickets are being ignored.
It would seem the P&D machines aren't linked to the ANPR system and this is where the problems are most evident.

Many cases are showing the NTK to have been sent outside of the 14 day period, in some case more than a month late.

I'm sure the fight will continue but I just wanted to bring it to your attention, this is a scam of the highest order and the sooner they are got rid of the better!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Advertisement
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:25
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:28
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (RD400E @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:25) *
Many cases are showing the NTK to have been sent outside of the 14 day period, in some case more than a month late.

Every single ticket issued by Smart is unenforceable if you know the magic trick...

They do not use keeper liability. Being outside 14 days in itself is not an issue. (They can only pursue the driver but have written to the keeper...)

So simply tell everyone to appeal on the basis of no such liability and they will cancel or POPLA will if they don't see sense...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:33
Post #3

Member No.: 16,066

That pinned post on the group needs amending to include a very, very prominent warning not to reveal the identity of the driver. Unlike this forum, the great majority of people on Facebook use their real names. Smart will love that they have ready made admissions from drivers.

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:39
Post #4

Hmmm, interesting read.

Surprising amount of people have simply paid them. (Even the ones that did pay for parking)

Quite a lot of 'ignorers'.

But I will note that I spotted a ticket without the correct vrm on it, changes to disabled parking and some people simply admitting to overstaying. The truth is out there somewhere...

This post has been edited by Jlc: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:39

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
GAZ237
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:39
Post #5

Member No.: 24,831

I parked there today and all the machines were down.

Had to ring up and pay, but just checked the message and they have got my no-plate wrong by one letter.

Think I,;;join the Facebook group to have a look.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:41
Post #6

QUOTE (GAZ237 @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:39) *
I parked there today and all the machines were down.

Had to ring up and pay, but just checked the message and they have got my no-plate wrong by one letter.

...You now know how to beat them. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:47
Post #7

Maybe another amendment to the pinned post referring them here? Also, that councillor needs directing here for some background information to give him a better knowledge of the true situation.

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
GAZ237
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 18:57
Post #8

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:41) *
I parked there today and all the machines were down. Had to ring up and pay, but just checked the message and they have got my no-plate wrong by one letter.

Was tempted to ring them to correct the Reg No. We was in my partners car.

After seeing all of this not so sure now.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:05
Post #9

QUOTE (GAZ237 @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:57) *

Stick to the tried and tested. (Somehow people think private parking companies are reasonable - they're rarely are!)

Start a thread in the active cases forum should you need.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:05

--------------------

+Quote Post
GAZ237
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:06
Post #10

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 20:05) *
Was tempted to ring them to correct the Reg No. We was in my partners car. After seeing all of this not so sure now.
Stick to the tried and tested. (Somehow people think private parking companies are reasonable - they're rarely are!) Start a thread in the active cases forum should you need.

Will do, cheers.

+Quote Post
RD400E
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:07
Post #11

QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:41) *
I parked there today and all the machines were down. Had to ring up and pay, but just checked the message and they have got my no-plate wrong by one letter.

They don't answer their phones so no point in trying, so many printed tickets have the full reg missing, the cameras are doing the dirty work, the P&D payments are being ignored

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:33
Post #12

Ha ha! It looks like the deluge of appeals has broken Smart's website!!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
RD400E
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:36
Post #13

QUOTE (cabbyman @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 20:33) *
Ha ha! It looks like the deluge of appeals has broken Smart's website!!!! laugh.gif

Yep it's crashed

I have to come clean, I created this group and I had no idea of the scale of complaints.

We are working to get the operator removed

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 19:48
Post #14

I think you need to go heavy on the advice available here. The letter written by the councillor appears, at a skimmed read, to be putting a lot of onus on the shopping centre and Smart to say whether or not the PCNs were justified/legitimate. I think we all know the response he will get to that! Most of his points were very woolly. He needs to be educated!

The only way to bring a stop to this will, unfortunately, be a laborious appealing of every ticket in the time-honoured manner that we have developed on here over the years, IMHO.

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
RD400E
post Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 20:09
Post #15

QUOTE (cabbyman @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 20:48) *
I think you need to go heavy on the advice available here. The letter written by the councillor appears, at a skimmed read, to be putting a lot of onus on the shopping centre and Smart to say whether or not the PCNs were justified/legitimate. I think we all know the response he will get to that! Most of his points were very woolly. He needs to be educated!

The only way to bring a stop to this will, unfortunately, be a laborious appealing of every ticket in the time-honoured manner that we have developed on here over the years, IMHO.

I did message the councillor to cut to the chase but he ignored me! Instead we are focusing on the BPA and Trading Standards to get to the bottom of this. As a last resort we will be making a complaint to the police for Fraud and Deception charges to be considered. It's not finished yet but I think it's gone beyond template letters considering the amount of people affected.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 14 Sep 2018 - 06:13
Post #16

Member No.: 317

For each case it shouldn’t go beyond a template letter, a simple bogoff and POPLA for no PoFA liability, it’s easy, it’s easy to follow and it’s simple, in terms of the bigger fight that is different of course.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 14 Sep 2018 - 08:02
Post #17

QUOTE (RD400E @ Thu, 13 Sep 2018 - 21:09) *
...are focusing on the BPA

Chocolate teapot comes to mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 14 Sep 2018 - 10:13
Post #18

Member No.: 317

If the DVLA properly held the organisations to their promises made when they were granted ATA status then the PPCs would be far more likely to actually 'follow the rules', however I think the DVLA have been sorely remiss in allowing both organisations (but the IPC in particular) far too much scope to 'brush under the carpet' too many issues rather than taking proper enforcement activity against their members and holding them to proper standards. The fact that the DVLA accept they have 'reasonable cause' for keepers data without being provided and with PPC's running rough shod over any meaningful standard would be a good test for the ICO in my opinion.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
GAZ237
post Tue, 25 Sep 2018 - 22:40
Post #19

We have not had a ticket yet, but momentum is growing against the parking company.

Made the papers.

http://www.yellowad.co.uk/article.cfm?id=135702

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 19:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here