Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 speeding ticket in one week
Bengz
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 17:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,326

Hi,

I received 2 speeding tickets in the span of few days for doing a 36 on a 30 for both and both of them are in the same place. I filled the first form and sent it back couple of days ago and today I had received the second one and I'm absolutely devastated. I'm so scared and I don't know what will happen. Please advise. What will happen now? I just got my license in October of last year.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Advertisement
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 17:58
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 18:07
Post #2

Member No.: 47,602

You wil be offered a speed awareness course for the first on, assuming the offence was in England or Wales and you haven't done a course in the last three years. For the second, £100 fixed penalty and 3 points on your licence.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 18:25
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

As above - you should hopefully be able to be on 3 points and avoid your licence being revoked by the DVLA.

The only concern will be how they will run these courses during COVID-19 - there is no right to a course and they may only offer fixed penalties.

As an aside, you've recently passed so you should be aware of the limits?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 19:58
Post #4

Member No.: 36,528

I am afraid that courses are suspended because of the coronavirus, it is obviously not appropriate to bring members of the public together in a classroom at this time. LINK I am afraid that it is likely that you will receive a fixed penalty for both, with the result that you will accumulate 6 points and your licence will be revoked, administratively, this is not a court decision so there is no appeal. You can drive up until the time you receive a notice from the DVLA. In normal times you could apply for a Provisional Licence and retake your tests, but at the moment all tests are suspended.

The only thing you could try is to write to the police, pointing out that you have received notifications of similar offences committed at the same location just a few days apart, and you had committed the second offence before the first notification arrived, so you had no opportunity to realise your error and modify your driving at that location, so request them to regard this as a single offence. You can add that this is particularly important in the current situation as you will not be able to re-take the test as all tests have been suspended.

--------------------

+Quote Post
speedfighter23
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 20:09
Post #5

Member No.: 104,999

QUOTE (Logician @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 19:58) *
I am afraid that courses are suspended because of the coronavirus, it is obviously not appropriate to bring members of the public together in a classroom at this time. LINK I am afraid that it is likely that you will receive a fixed penalty for both, with the result that you will accumulate 6 points and your licence will be revoked, administratively, this is not a court decision so there is no appeal. You can drive up until the time you receive a notice from the DVLA. In normal times you could apply for a Provisional Licence and retake your tests, but at the moment all tests are suspended.

The only thing you could try is to write to the police, pointing out that you have received notifications of similar offences committed at the same location just a few days apart, and you had committed the second offence before the first notification arrived, so you had no opportunity to realise your error and modify your driving at that location, so request them to regard this as a single offence. You can add that this is particularly important in the current situation as you will not be able to re-take the test as all tests have been suspended.

`
Good advice, I would hope that they drop one of them.

--------------------
Police Speeding Fines - Police 1 - speedfighter23 0
TFL traffic contraventions 0 - speedfighter23 2
Kensington and Chelsea 0 parking contraventions - speedfighter23 1
Brighton and Hove parking 0 - speedfighter23 1
Private PCN - Private Parking Solutions Limited 0 - speedfighter23 1

Tyre Puncture Pothole Claims:
0 Buckinghamshire Council - speedfighter23 1
0 TFL - speedfighter23 1

Result Pending:

1 Islington Council tyre puncture claim

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 20:51
Post #6

Member No.: 49,223

Ok, no surprise that they are suspended.

This won't be the last case where the OP will feel like they've been disadvantaged.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 21:17
Post #7

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 20:51) *
Ok, no surprise that they are suspended. This won't be the last case where the OP will feel like they've been disadvantaged.

And perhaps no surprise that the police, who have always claimed to make no money out of the scheme, only recover their costs, are reported to be asking how this income can be replaced.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 23:21
Post #8

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Logician @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 21:17) *
...are reported to be asking how this income can be replaced.

Source?

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
TryOut
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 08:19
Post #9

Member No.: 103,734

QUOTE (speedfighter23 @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 20:09) *
QUOTE (Logician @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 19:58) *

`
Good advice, I would hope that they drop one of them.

The advice is probably better described as 'speculative' rather than "good".

Stating you had no opportunity to modify your behaviour is speculative. A qualified driver shoudl be aware of the speed limit, this is probably going to be more acute in a newly qualified driver...at least it should be.

By all means give it a try but I would say the chances of success are low and are certainly nowhere near "good".

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 08:50
Post #10

Member No.: 86,040

And perhaps no surprise that the police, who have always claimed to make no money out of the scheme, only recover their costs, are reported to be asking how this income can be replaced.

That is not necessarily a dichotomy.

In the event that it is onlycost recovery then they are in a position where they have some potential costs still and no income to offset hence a modest reduction in overall income.

Heaven forbid it it might be like all those tax measures which are described as neutral but according to the briefing notes are expected to raise a few hundred million.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 11:06
Post #11

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 23:21) *
...are reported to be asking how this income can be replaced.
Source?

I cannot remember where I read that and unfortunately cannot find it again, but that was definitely what was said. I did qualify that by saying "reported"

--------------------

+Quote Post
baroudeur
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 11:15
Post #12

Member No.: 73,212

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 22 Mar 2020 - 20:51) *
Ok, no surprise that they are suspended. This won't be the last case where the OP will feel like they've been disadvantaged.

A course at one of the three locations operated locally by Drivetech for the police authority near me costs £90** and the police authority receives £20 from it the remainder going to the course provider. At £20 per head it is probable that it just about covers police expenses.

In any case is there any merit in the "cash-cow" claim as the alternative is a fixed penalty (to government coffers), three points and, probably, an increased insurance premium whilst the courses remain suspended.

** cost may have increased as I know nobody who has taken one recently.

Interesting information on courses and their effect HERE

+Quote Post
Logician
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 11:26
Post #13

QUOTE (TryOut @ Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 08:19) *
The advice is probably better described as 'speculative' rather than "good". Stating you had no opportunity to modify your behaviour is speculative. A qualified driver shoudl be aware of the speed limit, this is probably going to be more acute in a newly qualified driver...at least it should be. By all means give it a try but I would say the chances of success are low and are certainly nowhere near "good".

Stating that he had no opportunity to modify his behaviour is factual, not speculative. What is speculative is whether the police will act on the request, but with no other approach offering any better prospect it is at least worth trying, as you accept. Yes. of course a qualified driver should be aware of the speed limit but as you will know, speed awareness courses are designed to ensure that that drivers who have exceeded the limit are in fact fully aware of the limit in all circumstances, because many are not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 13:10
Post #14

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (Logician @ Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 11:26) *
...but as you will know, speed awareness courses are designed to ensure that that drivers who have exceeded the limit are in fact fully aware of the limit in all circumstances, because many are not.

Indeed. I read in another place recently of a driver prosecuted for exceeding the NSL on a single carriageway road. He believed he was driving on a dual carriageway. The road he was on had three lanes, two in his direction (uphill) and one in the opposite direction (downhill), separated by a double white line. He believed the two lanes in his direction made the road (in his direction only) a dual carriageway.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 23 Mar 2020 - 13:43
Post #15

Member No.: 317

And a dual carriageway in a built up area is always a 40 limit, even when there are no signs indicating so, because.........well just because...... I think that's the commonest mistake we see?

I agree, under the circumstances a carefully crafted letter mentioning the suspension of courses and difficulties getting tested and pleading for the special circumstances to be considered for special consideration. There is absolutely nothing to be lost and a lot to be gained.

If that's not accepted the other opportunity is to not accept the second FP and delay sentencing as long as possible (requesting a court hearing in response to the SJPN) which would kick the can 9 months or so down the road, maybe more.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Wed, 25 Mar 2020 - 11:36
Post #16

Member No.: 1,326

There's always the possibility that courses may still be offered and postponed until the three month period is over, I suppose.

Probably, unlikely, however.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Wed, 25 Mar 2020 - 12:00
Post #17

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Wed, 25 Mar 2020 - 11:36) *
There's always the possibility that courses may still be offered and postponed until the three month period is over, I suppose.

Probably, unlikely, however.

That would then push them up close to the 6 month limit to prosecute. Sounds all too difficult to make this work to me, for something that's discretionary anyway.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 12:26
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here