Davey
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 15:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,122

Hi,
Have received a NIP about 1 month after the alleged offence:-
38 in a 30.
(the original NIP was sent to the Registered Keeper, previously)

Returned a PACE with the NIP attached as described elsewhere in these forums.

Received a reminder, dated exactly 28 days after the NIP,saying no reply has been received and suggesting S.172 action would be taken and I should contact them immediately.

As this reminder is dated 2 days after the Signed For delivery receipt, it's not as if they've crossed in the post.

My question at this point is:-

Should I write back in reply to this reminder (as they indicate I should contact them), indicating that the required information has been provided, so they cann't just treat it as a failure to reply ?

I have a printout of the PO Delivery receipt with a Signature, Name & Time of Delivery on it.

My inclination 'though is to be as helpful as possible and make sure they cann't just treat it as a failure to reply.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks,

Davey

Here's what the NIP Wizard had to say:-
(I cann't seem to get the nice formated output at the end that I've seen in a lot of these posts)

NIP Wizard
Based on the answers you've given we recommend that you consider:

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Sussex
Date of the offence: - June 2006
Date of the NIP: - 30 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 36 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Marine Parade, Worhing.
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? – Company vehicle
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons – I don’t remember anything about it , but the alleged offence is stated as:-
"EXCESS SPEED - 30 MPH (automatic camera device/speed detection device) travelling at 38 mph on ____ in____ at ____ hours"

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it)? - Yes
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

• Complete the PACE witness statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by Davey: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 15:29
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 15:05
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Blackbird
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 15:25
Post #2

Member No.: 200

Did you write 'see attached' on the original NIP? Do you have a photocopy?
Should I write back in reply to this reminder (as they indicate I should contact them), indicating that the required information has been provided, so they cann't just treat it as a failure to reply ?

Well you have received some typical Bluff and Bluster but it is unusual to be asked to make contact immediately.

Personally I would do nothing, knowing that I would love to see a s172 summons drop through the letterbox wink.gif
But perhaps you are not quite as 'grumpy' as me.
If you feel that you have to respond, a letter on the lines of 'Please sort out your systems, I have already responded, my letter was delivered to youselves on xxx and I have a signature for delivery (as I will have for this letter)
Whatever you do, avoid phone conversations.

As with all B&B, the advice is to do absolutely nothing.

Regards

--------------------

+Quote Post
Davey
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 15:59
Post #3

Thanks Blackbird,

Yes indeed, see attached was written on the NIP and attached it to the PACE and kept a copy of both.

I suspect this isn't really a B&B but just a standard reminder, as if they hadn't received anything.

Isn't it my duty to point out their apparent oversight 'though, which their reminder has brought to my attention, just in case it's more than that.

Is the printout of delivery signature from PO's website, sufficient proof that one did reply ?

The PACE was sent to the POBox address of the camera unit indicated on their NIP.

This post has been edited by Davey: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 16:01

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 16:07
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

They have received it. The reminder was probably automatically generated on day 28(ish) as the computer has not been told that you've complied with the s.172 requirement.

If you really feel that you are obliged to point out their errors to them, may I suggest that you join the IPCC and do it properly...

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
Davey
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 17:42
Post #5

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 17:07) *
If you really feel that you are obliged to point out their errors to them, may I suggest that you join the IPCC and do it properly...

Thanks Andy, Very well put. I've always supported the police 'though and would rather go perhaps beyond the call of duty now, rather than being treated like a fugitive from justice in the meantime and getting an apology from the CC later.

The danger of course is in inadvertently incriminating oneself in the process...

I have replied to their request, although the reminder suggests they haven't perhaps realised/accepted or received it.

What does anyone else think ?

Cheers,

Davey

+Quote Post
Davey
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 18:00
Post #6

QUOTE (Blackbird @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 16:25) *
........... but it is unusual to be asked to make contact immediately.

Well to be precise, it probably wasn't so unusual , if I just quote the substance of it:-
To date no reply has been received at this office and a decision will shortly be made as to whether or not to prosecute you for failing to comply with Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. If you have not returned the NIP duly completed, I would advise you to do so by return of post.

Your liability remains outstanding and you are advised to contact this office without further delay.

I await your early response.

If they don't realise they've got it 'though, will they send the boys round ?

This post has been edited by Davey: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 18:01

+Quote Post
Sherwood
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 18:16
Post #7

Member No.: 7,049

If it gets to court, follow this excellent link, from Mika:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=4985

dry.gif

Sorry all - i dont know how to alter the above into an idnetified link icon_redface.gif

--------------------
Best Regards,
Sherwood.

+Quote Post
djtaylor
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 19:03
Post #8

Member No.: 1,969

QUOTE (Davey @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 19:00) *
QUOTE (Blackbird @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 16:25) *

........... but it is unusual to be asked to make contact immediately.

Well to be precise, it probably wasn't so unusual , if I just quote the substance of it:-
To date no reply has been received at this office and a decision will shortly be made as to whether or not to prosecute you for failing to comply with Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. If you have not returned the NIP duly completed, I would advise you to do so by return of post.

Your liability remains outstanding and you are advised to contact this office without further delay.

I await your early response.
If they don't realise they've got it 'though, will they send the boys round ?

When they sent the boys (boy) round in my case, I was out. That's what happens when they choose to call unannounced.

Pity really because before having a conversation, they'd have been rather obliged to caution me at which point they'd have to have told me that I had the right to remain silent, an option that I would have welcomed! wink.gif

David.

+Quote Post
Davey
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 19:41
Post #9

QUOTE (djtaylor @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 20:03) *
When they sent the boys (boy) round in my case, I was out. That's what happens when they choose to call unannounced.

Pity really because before having a conversation, they'd have been rather obliged to caution me at which point they'd have to have told me that I had the right to remain silent, an option that I would have welcomed! ;)

David.

Hi David,
Did they come round for the same reason in your case ?
Surely then it would be better to mention that I had already replied (ie. the something one might later rely on in court) & even show the proof if requested, to avoid it 'escalating'.
Davey

This post has been edited by Davey: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 19:43

+Quote Post
Davey
post Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 19:53
Post #10

QUOTE (Sherwood @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 - 19:16) *
If it gets to court, follow this excellent link, from Mika:

Thanks for that Sherwood,
I'll save that for later, if it ever comes to that, as I don't seem to have the access privileges to read it at the moment.
Regards,

Davey

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 22:58
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here