PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

BOX JUNCTION LINE TOLERANCES, How much leeway can we allow the painters?
Box Clever
post Wed, 31 Jan 2007 - 20:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,921

Based on the experience with double/single yellow lines can I please canvas opinion as to what might be considered reasonable tolerances for marking out a yellow box junction?

The outer box lines are nominally 200 mm wide and the inner hatching lines 150 mm wide.

The spacing between the hatching lines is either 2m or 2.5m. (It's one or the other, not between 2 - 2.5m)

The corner angles have to be in the range between 60 - 120 degrees.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
More about box junction enforcement on my website: Money Box Junction
Support Neil Herron. Donate to the Motorists Legal Challenge Fund
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Advertisement
post Wed, 31 Jan 2007 - 20:29
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Ziltro
post Thu, 1 Feb 2007 - 01:09
Post #2

Member No.: 3,211

My understanding is that...
1. It's complicated. wink.gif
2. If the measurements are specified in min & max then that's it. No extra tolerance. (except for letters & numbers)
3. If the measurements are specified in exact numbers then you look at TSRGD 2002 section(?) 12, Variations of dimensions.

Road markings are schedule 6.
Schedules 1 to 12 are all of the lines & signs. Schedules 13+ are fonts and boring things. wink.gif

Some selective quoting:
(5) Where any diagram in Schedules 1 to 12 specifies a maximum and a minimum dimension for an element of a sign, the dimension chosen for that element shall, subject to the footnote to Table 1, be not more than the maximum and not less than the minimum.

(10) Any dimension (not being an angle or specified as a maximum or minimum) specified in these Regulations shall be treated as permitted by these Regulations if it is varied in accordance with the following Tables, subject, in the case of Tables 1, 2 and 3 to the Notes to those Tables.

Table 2 Diagrams in Schedule 6 - All dimensions:
2. 300 millimetres or more, but less than 3 metres
(i) Up to 20% of the dimension where the varied dimension is greater than the specified dimension; or
(ii) Up to 10% of the dimension where the varied dimension is less than the specified dimension

3. 50 millimetres or more but less than 300 millimetres
(i) Up to 30% of the dimension where the varied dimension is greater than the specified dimension; or
(ii) Up to 10% of the dimension where the varied dimension is less than the specified dimension

I'm not sure about the angles. They could be absolute. There is a variance of 5% allowed for all angles... except in diagrams 1043 and 1044. But it doesn't say what variance is allowed for 1043/1044! rolleyes.gif

So...
-10% to %30%:
150 = 135 - 195
200 = 180 - 260
-10% to +20%:
2000 = 1800 - 2400
2500 = 2250 - 3000

Unless my maths are wrong.

This post has been edited by Ziltro: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 - 01:12

--------------------
Andrew.

+Quote Post
Box Clever
post Thu, 1 Feb 2007 - 08:07
Post #3

Member No.: 8,921

Thanks Ziltro for pointing that out. TSRGD is such a large document that I had always skipped over that section to get to the more important bits.

It seems a bit pointless to specify nominal spacings of 2m or 2.5m when in practice they can be anywhere between 1.8 - 3.0m. We came across a box junction that had been laid out with 2.3m spacing and I thought we could challenge it. Damn! angry.gif

--------------------
More about box junction enforcement on my website: Money Box Junction
Support Neil Herron. Donate to the Motorists Legal Challenge Fund

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 16th October 2019 - 15:44
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.