PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

BT's Web of Lies!, OT Rant
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 22:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,424

Not the first time I've ranted about BT... probably not the last. Until August when the contract with them is up.

Anyway, for years we've had poor broadband. December 2012 and I was doing my dissertation, and it totally went. We sat with unusable speeds all through January, and after countless calls being asked to 'use the yellow ethranet cable' (which is actually blue) they got an Openreach engineer out, who found a fault and sorted it. Well he didn't sort it. He got another guy out. Who then arranged for another guy to come back the next day. And then another guy went to the cabinet down the road another time. Something to do with batteries was mentioned- they were sticking poles all over the front lawn and what have you, and out in the pit in the street.
Anyway that was fine for a week, and then it went again. This time they wanted to change the modem. Fine. It was changed after a lot of arguing as I refused to go into another contract and two of their agents at offshore call centres had promised I would not be recontracted. So a new modem was ordered after I demanded several calls were listened to. That didn't solve the issue- I knew it wouldn't (I worked for Virgin at the time.. I had a limited knowledge of technical issues and spoke with an engineer at work). So they did a line test and ohhh theres a fault on the line. A guy came out again, and this time sorted it.

It wasn't great, but it was useable till I graduated. And even after that, I never bothered to chase them to get the speed improved as calling them was daunting. In August, we recontracted on a retentions deal as the price was creeping up big time (was about £40 a month just for phone and broadband). They messed that up- quoted £30, and then charged £30. After 2 phonecalls where I'll admit I lost the rag, it was sorted- partially because I'd lost the will to argue.

Throughout the following months, there were various issues. Generally sorted by rebooting the modem, cursing for 10 minutes and going back to it. Then November happened. Speeds were never above 1mbps. I called.. its a wifi issue I'm told. Several calls later I'm still being told that. They did line tests after I demanded managers, and each time found an issue at the exchange. Each time they'd say it will be sorted in 48 hours, and each time I'd have to chase them. At the end of December, after at least 11 calls that month alone, they changed the modem, again. Despite me telling them the modem was fine. They promised this would fix everything.

It didn't. Infact it managed to slow down in January- I can't watch Netflix, my Xbox keeps getting kicked offline, and my phone, in an area where we don't even get 3G, is quicker than the landline broadband. So I've called, and again, problems at the exchange. I refuse to speak with people in call centres at BT now unless its a manager, and I refuse to do the 'have you tried the wired connection' crap with them as its a waste of my time. Managers have, during January, promised me 4 callbacks on my mobile. One has managed to call back- and he didn't try my mobile. He tried the house phone, which meant I was at work and didn't get the call. And I never managed to get hold of him again.

Last Saturday it came to a peak when one of their level 2 support team hung up on me as I refused to speak to anyone other than his manager (who as usual, wasn't there... they're never there unless I refuse to end the call- then suddenly, they appear- if I'm not hung up on). I was pure ragin. So I emailed the CEO and various other bigwigs I found on that mad CEO finder website.

Sunday I got a reply- have you tried a ethranet connection to check speed... very sorry blah blah blah. Not amused. I emailed back nice and curtly, and on Monday, got another person, from the same escalated complaints team in Newcastle, asking me the same bloody thing. Is this a communications company? Do staff not talk to each other? Shambles. Anyway, he's been alright, and arranged an engineer. He wanted to send one yesterday morning, but frankly, it was my intention to get rat arsed on Friday night and subsequently yesterday I was suffering from a pure bellend of a hangover. So we've got one booked for next Saturday. Thats cool.

However I advised other people living nearby have been complaining about the speeds too (mainly when I moan on Facebook about how awful this company are) and as such, could he find out whats going on at the exchange. Tuesday he told me there might be a problem- they'll investigate it. And on Friday, he told me my exchange was at full capacity and as such its normal to experience some issues. Estimated fix time for this is over 2 weeks away- but nothings set in stone. Not amused at BT's incompetance, I've replied querying why they did not carry out work when it was at an amber status, and more why they think its acceptable to continue billing us at the full rate when they know theres an issue.

A bit more digging online via BT forums has revealled BT have known my exchange was at 'amber' level since at least 20th September 2013. It could be longer, but the tool I used to check could only verify the September date. I'm furious that this wasn't disclosed to me by BT during one of my countless calls over the past 2 months, when I explicitly asked is there a capacity issue in my area.

So, as its a Sunday night, and I can't watch Top Gear on iplayer or watch Netflix or even play Fifa on the 360, I thought I'd warn you all- if your dealing with BT, do not trust a word they say. Proven to be incompetent at best in my case, and proven liars at worst. Certainly not a communications company worth considering- they can't do internal comms never mind deal with the network for the rest of the country. Its shocking. The appitamy of a company and of customer service. If I'd acted like any of their staff have (excluding the complaints dude whos kinda trying his best to help me with the shite service BT has to offer me) I know I'd have been booted within weeks when I worked for one of their competitors. What riles me more is the fact that I worked for said competitor, and at times, didn't like the way customers were treated. But looking back now, the way they were treated was actually bloody amazing in comparison to BT's treatment of me. And at least my previous employer was aware of some of its downfalls, and were doing its best (and doing pretty well) to sort them. My parents have been with them for like 35 years, and had no serious problems until about 18 months ago- nothing bad enough to cause them to leave. This year, has been hellish. The accounts in my Dad's name and I've nipped his ear to get this sorted.. but hes not got the pateiece or will power to argue with these fools. So the regins been passed to me (I've become like the Martin Lewis of complaining and getting results on behalf of friends and family it seems... its an unfortunate skill). Which means I've been persistant. I feel sorry for people who don't do confrontation or arguing well- they are being walked all over by these cretins!

For those who aren't daft enough to sleep reading all that, I'll sum up...

Don't join BT. Seriously. Just don't. And if your with them, jump ship before this happens to you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 22:47
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:12
Post #2

Member No.: 59,097

I don't think it's fair to infer that because you 've had problems with BT that everyone else should jump ship or not use them. I used to be with Be Unlimited with no problems but moved to BT Infinity over a year ago when it became available st my exchange when fibre was installed locally about 100 yards away. The hardware arrived promptly and the engineer arrived at the agreed time and the speeds ever since have been brilliant. I've had absolutely no problems but I guess if I do the test will be how they deal with it.
The moan I do have with BT is the cost of keeping them for the 'phone but I need that for the Broadband .

+Quote Post
enjoy-life
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:15
Post #3

Member No.: 66,884

http://web.archive.org/web/20120920014441/...isp_ratings.php

glasgow_bhoy's view is shared by the majority of BT Broadband users....

+Quote Post
Wongsky
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:16
Post #4

Member No.: 56,507

Uncannily I've recently had quite similar issues with the company you used to work for.

I was messed around for weeks, countless broken promises, incompetent communication and no sign of any resolution. Only got anywhere when I did the same - emailed the CEO.

So I wouldn't go running around suggesting that other companies necessarily hold the moral high ground.

+Quote Post
enjoy-life
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:17
Post #5

Member No.: 66,884

(Yes, I know the link I supplied does not absolutely prove that, but it suggests it is not far from the truth)

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:31
Post #6

Member No.: 22,424

Stu- I'm perhaps being a bit OTT. But we had few problems with them for ages. And then recently things went right downhill. And a steep hill at that. My biggest gripe is not the shoddy service from the horrendous infrastructure. Its being lied to, persistently, by people who have no idea about customer service. My intention is to later this week get everyone else in the area who has been moaning about it to put in complaints, as none of them have been told about the area wide exchange issue. I know its not exactly a big problem in the grand scheme of BT's network, but its pretty appalling to take to long to admit the truth.

Wongsky- I don't work for them anymore- like I say, there were a few practices I seriously did not agree with- especially where the use of install/repulling sub-contractors were concerned. It was like pulling teeth at times getting them to play ball, and working in customer service I learned quickly that copying in internal managers as well as subcontractor managers solved issues a lot more quickly. I'd actually say about half the complaints I dealt with involved a subcontractor install issue of some kind. If you have problems though PM me- I might be able to suggest a way to get problems resolved a bit more quickly depending on the problem.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:54
Post #7

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (enjoy-life @ Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:17) *
(Yes, I know the link I supplied does not absolutely prove that, but it suggests it is not far from the truth)

What...with only 3000 + comments?

+Quote Post
dave comer
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 00:05
Post #8

Member No.: 17,589

I'm with GB as far as BT go. Lying, money grabbing, bloodsucking parasites. My bill has gone up over £30 a quarter since last summer. They lied about my broadband contract saying that it had expired and the charge would be increased when it should not have.
Came home one day to find I had been cut off for non payment of the bill. Called them and explained the bill had been paid a week before and that I had the receipt in my hand.
I demanded to be reconnected immediatly only to be told that it would take an "engineer" two days to carry out the work. The word meaning scrotums was mentioned when I told this guy what I thought of that. I was then told a reconnection charge would be applied which got a similar reply. I was reconnected within half an hour and the charge was waived as a "gesture of goodwill".
Jumping ship to the Post Office tomorrow, same requirements as I had from BT but UK help and call centres, friendly,helpful and polite and £200pa cheaper than those BT muggers.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed.....SOD IT.

+Quote Post
Korting
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 08:16
Post #9

Member No.: 37,524

Last year I joined Utility Warehouse because I'd been mucked around by BT and Southern Electric and I've saved a LOT of money

[Affiliate links removed]

Moderators please feel free to edit this post if you dont feel its appropriate but please PM me if thats the case.

+Quote Post
buttonpusher
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 08:49
Post #10

Member No.: 11,066

QUOTE (enjoy-life @ Sun, 2 Feb 2014 - 23:15) *
http://web.archive.org/web/20120920014441/...isp_ratings.php

glasgow_bhoy's view is shared by the majority of BT Broadband users....

Just thought to add that this does not reflect my history with BT. Never had to call them, 5km out into the sticks and on 7meg normal broadband. I may be a rarity but doubt it.

+Quote Post
dandyman
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 08:53
Post #11

Member No.: 63,179

If you go to a different ISP you'll be using the same infrastructure but at least it'll be your ISP having to battle with BT instead of you.

I had a problem a while ago where my connection would start dropping intermittently around lunchtime and get steadily worse through the afternoon until, in the evening, it would drop every few seconds. Next morning it would start all over again: fine until lunchtime, and then down the slippery slope we'd go. Got all the usual crap from BT about testing everything in the house, despite me pointing out to them time-and-again that no-one was coming in at lunchtime and smearing the box with treacle or something. Eventually they found their fault, but God was it painful.

On the other side of the coin, I have a Dell laptop which regularly gets clogged with dust between the fan and the heatsink, a sure sign of which is the WiFi slowing to a crawl as the thing overheats. Pulling it apart and clearing the dust out (yet again) restores things to normal. So it ain't always BT!

+Quote Post
albert2008
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 09:01
Post #12

Member No.: 21,857

Utility Warehouse laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif icon_hang.gif

+Quote Post
Gan
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 09:38
Post #13

Member No.: 27,239

I'd had endless problems with one ISP that were only resolved after I requested the MAC code
This got me transferred to their customer retention manager

One Sunday several weeks later the problem became much worse and I was down to dial-up speeds

Wasted an hour with the call centre operator who couldn't understand why I didn't want to disconnect everything, carry it downstairs and hold a desktop above my head to connect the computer directly to the phone to test the line filter

He then let slip that they'd rewired the exchange over the weekend to replace the BT line by Mercury
Reluctantly conceded that there might be some association with my problem

This time the customer relations manager admitted that he fully understood why I was leaving

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 10:35
Post #14

Member No.: 21,992

I used to work for a few Telecoms Companies (including BT). I had a problem with my BT line at home and diagnosed it myself as being a dodgy connection in the street cabinet.

I called BT and simply told them there was a fault.

They did a line test and told me the fault was in my house (I'd already tested all the circuits in my house and there wasn't any fault). I argued and they wouldn't back down. "We're not sending anyone, the problem's in your house."

At this point I announced confidently that the problem was in the street cabinet.

"No it isn't."

This went on for ages. Eventually they said they'd send an engineer but I'd have to pay as the problem was inside my house. "What if it isn't?" - "Well, you wouldn't have to pay, but it is, so you will"

"Send him out"

The next day he turns up, checks the circuits in my house, all OK. Goes outside and finds a fault in the street cabinet.

Idiots.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
Wongsky
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 10:54
Post #15

QUOTE (ManxRed @ Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 10:35) *
I used to work for a few Telecoms Companies (including BT). I had a problem with my BT line at home and diagnosed it myself as being a dodgy connection in the street cabinet.

I called BT and simply told them there was a fault.

They did a line test and told me the fault was in my house (I'd already tested all the circuits in my house and there wasn't any fault). I argued and they wouldn't back down. "We're not sending anyone, the problem's in your house."

At this point I announced confidently that the problem was in the street cabinet.

"No it isn't."

This went on for ages. Eventually they said they'd send an engineer but I'd have to pay as the problem was inside my house. "What if it isn't?" - "Well, you wouldn't have to pay, but it is, so you will"

"Send him out"

The next day he turns up, checks the circuits in my house, all OK. Goes outside and finds a fault in the street cabinet.

Idiots.

In fairness to most companies like this, most of the people you'll talk to in first line support, really know precious little - they are largely following a script or decision based stuff on a screen, and really know not much more.

For the problem I had recently, every time I rang up, it was rather like the IT Crowd - "Have you tried turning it off and on again...", and asking me to do various things to my superhub, and other things on machines inside my house - I had to keep explaining - "What's the point - two of your engineers have already diagnosed the problem as being in the cabinet, down a pit, outside my house?".

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 11:00
Post #16

Member No.: 21,992

Oh I realise that, and I also know (and have used) the line test tool they use to try and diagnose where the fault is. It was the lack of flexibility displayed that got to me. Someone needs to explain to these people that the line test tool is only an indicator and isn't infallible. I was certainly taught that.

It's the 'you're wrong, we're right' attitude that does my head in.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
Wongsky
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 11:19
Post #17

QUOTE (ManxRed @ Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 11:00) *
Oh I realise that, and I also know (and have used) the line test tool they use to try and diagnose where the fault is. It was the lack of flexibility displayed that got to me. Someone needs to explain to these people that the line test tool is only an indicator and isn't infallible. I was certainly taught that.

It's the 'you're wrong, we're right' attitude that does my head in.

Well I guess they only know what they only know.

One of the issues I had / have with the company I use, being there's no conduit in for contacting them about an already reported / on-going problem, bar ringing the same number, and speaking to the same kind of 1st line support people.

+Quote Post
jdh
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 12:02
Post #18

Member No.: 1,224

QUOTE (dandyman @ Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 08:53) *
If you go to a different ISP you'll be using the same infrastructure but at least it'll be your ISP having to battle with BT instead of you.
Encountered that when we bought a newbuild house and wanted phone & BB installing. We were originally taking TalkTalk with us from the old house but they claimed the new one wasn't on an exchange that they had gear in despite it only being 100yds down the road and you could see the exchange out of the windows. Sky wouldn't install without the phone line working so we wanted it working pronto. Next we tried BT as despite it being dearer we thought that at least they'd get a phoneline & BB working for us, they couldn't and came up with a number of baffling suggestions as to why (previous occupants left a contract open being one, on a newbuild property!). In the end we rang Sky to see what we could do about the lack of phoneline and they said they could get the lot working, even if it meant running in a fresh line to do it on at no extra cost to us. I don't know how they managed to get BT to do what BT couldn't but we've been with them ever since.

+Quote Post
Mortimer
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 13:29
Post #19

Member No.: 21,892

Don't get me started on BT, Grrr! Deceitful bunch! Considering jumping out as soon as I can jump at no cost. My HH3 requires regular reboots too, when the speed drops too low, or the stuff at home can't talk to eachother. Occasionally I see a situation where none of the iDevices will talk to the Apple TV. Or none of the laptops can find the NAS, but everything can happily access the Internet. Rebooting the HH seems to be the only cure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 3 Feb 2014 - 13:56
Post #20

Member No.: 49,223

Going a little OT - Sky. My Sky box blew up (PSU knackered) - so I phoned them up and told them that my Sky box won't turn on because the power supply has blown. They insisted there was nothing they could do until I turned my box on for them to run some remote diagnostics. The point that I couldn't turn the box on didn't phase them... "Please turn the box on, Sir". We got nowhere until I asked to cancel my contract.

Arrrggghhhh!

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 21st June 2018 - 19:42
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.