PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

When is a ban not a ban?
Neil B
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 00:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,671

I'm pained to ask a forum to which, like many better souls than me , I'm somewhat devoted but what is going on?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

Yet another derailment, hijack, from what is so obviously 'someone' we all recognise.
How and, notwithstanding the difficulties of running such a forum, how does it ever get past day 1 or 2,
despite at least one report to mods?

Yes there are points made that are food for thought but the disrespect for other forum members and
disregard for the forum etiquette of manner and purpose of posts.

Where, exactly, is the assistance to the OP made clear? I see only the same old attempts at scoring points.

How long are those seeking help going to have to endure this, along with the rest of us, this time?

--------------------
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:30) *
Neil is good at working backwards.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Advertisement
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 00:02
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 03:56
Post #2

Member No.: 317

Its neither a derailment nor a Hijack, it is a complex legal 'discussion' but entirely related to the OP's (well his friends I guess) case.

I agree it gets a bit silly sometimes and it can be hard for a poster to sort the wheat from the chaff, but in this case the first action is clear regardless, he needs to get his car out of the pound!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 08:27
Post #3

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 01:02) *
I'm pained to ask a forum to which, like many better souls than me , I'm somewhat devoted but what is going on?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

Yet another derailment, hijack, from what is so obviously 'someone' we all recognise.
How and, notwithstanding the difficulties of running such a forum, how does it ever get past day 1 or 2,

Yes there are points made that are food for thought but the disrespect for other forum members and
disregard for the forum etiquette of manner and purpose of posts.

Where, exactly, is the assistance to the OP made clear? I see only the same old attempts at scoring points.

How long are those seeking help going to have to endure this, along with the rest of us, this time?

The point has been made. in other incarnations that the continued bickering loses the OP so there is no help being given, because what is said by others is smothered.
HCA also has made the point that the discussion should be held via PM. Good for him lets hope only useful advice is put on the board.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 09:48
Post #4

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 01:02) *

A couple of reasons:
  1. We don't have an army of moderators with the time to trawl through dozens of posts every time someone thinks a discussion has crossed the line into being unhelpful to an OP.
  2. We have to allow a certain amount of discussion as otherwise advice, good and bad, wouldn't be subject to challenge, which is the essence of how the forum works to refine advice.
  3. A report along the lines of "Just flagging this up as of possible interest. [list of partial usernames] umpteen other incarnations. Maybe" is about as much help as the proverbial chocolate fireguard in identifying what the issue is, and why those usernames are suspected of something. Nothing's going to happen as a result of that.
  4. Applying moderation sanctions against members isn't something we do unless we're pretty sure they're necessary, which requires more than one member's gut feeling.

The approach suggested by HCA is in my view correct: if a disagreement on the advice to give can't be resolved within a couple of posts then take it offline and discuss it by PM or in the Flame Pit.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 10:42
Post #5

Member No.: 16,671

I've got the gist Fredd.

I'll steer clear.

But it's more than a gut feeling and not mine alone.
It's a shame because I can believe there's an underlying desire to help but the effect, of putting
off yet another seeking help, seems apparent.

--------------------
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:30) *
Neil is good at working backwards.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 13:57
Post #6

Member No.: 38,559

While I agree with Fredd 100% (not creeping, honest smile.gif) I can see and understand Neil's disquiet.
Dunno what can be done about it unless one of our mods can identify the "ever so learned newby" as a new incarnation of a banned member.

Years back, Bogsy came up with the discrepancies between TMA and RTRA facets of removal laws and the reliance by councils on the wrong bits.
Worked well for a while as a tactic that tied councils up in knots and by no means without merit in its own right.
But foundered against adjudicators who got fed up with the same lines being trotted out, would not dig deeply enough to work out if any merit and simply dismissed it as "internet derived" with a similar level of consideration that they give Freemen of the Land challenges.

Hasn't stopped Bogsy from trying to improve it, find another way to get the point across and I know he takes a realistic view on it.
Whether right or wrong it will not be a winner unless it gets to a High Court and HC judges debate the point and agree.

But then we have the "learned" brigade that often seem to pop into existence as a new member and in their very first post, tell all that councils are acting unlawfully with often little, if any explanation. Until someone challenges when they get hammered with ever more arcane references or legislation, the general impression being that if you don't agree, you are an idiot.
But they either have the (unspoken) aim of taking one of these to judicial review, hopefully crowdfunding it if not paying for it outright, or are simply OCD on an unrealistic expectation that this will win if only the OP will follow.

I confess, I am as peed off as Neil with the antics we often see but take the easy option of just ignoring them. Or stepping out of removal threads altogether as TBH, better things to do with my time then argue with the zealots.

FFS, the thread that Neil has pointed out has valid challenge points without the arcane.
But what the hell the OP makes of it now or understands is anyone's guess.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 16:36
Post #7

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 14:57) *
While I agree with Fredd 100% (not creeping, honest smile.gif) I can see and understand Neil's disquiet.
Dunno what can be done about it unless one of our mods can identify the "ever so learned newby" as a new incarnation of a banned member.

Years back, Bogsy came up with the discrepancies between TMA and RTRA facets of removal laws and the reliance by councils on the wrong bits.
Worked well for a while as a tactic that tied councils up in knots and by no means without merit in its own right.
But foundered against adjudicators who got fed up with the same lines being trotted out, would not dig deeply enough to work out if any merit and simply dismissed it as "internet derived" with a similar level of consideration that they give Freemen of the Land challenges.

Hasn't stopped Bogsy from trying to improve it, find another way to get the point across and I know he takes a realistic view on it.
Whether right or wrong it will not be a winner unless it gets to a High Court and HC judges debate the point and agree.

But then we have the "learned" brigade that often seem to pop into existence as a new member and in their very first post, tell all that councils are acting unlawfully with often little, if any explanation. Until someone challenges when they get hammered with ever more arcane references or legislation, the general impression being that if you don't agree, you are an idiot.
But they either have the (unspoken) aim of taking one of these to judicial review, hopefully crowdfunding it if not paying for it outright, or are simply OCD on an unrealistic expectation that this will win if only the OP will follow.

I confess, I am as peed off as Neil with the antics we often see but take the easy option of just ignoring them. Or stepping out of removal threads altogether as TBH, better things to do with my time then argue with the zealots.

FFS, the thread that Neil has pointed out has valid challenge points without the arcane.
But what the hell the OP makes of it now or understands is anyone's guess.

You're not wrong but what would you like the mods to do?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 17:05
Post #8

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 9 Oct 2017 - 17:36) *
You're not wrong but what would you like the mods to do?

QUOTE (DD)
....Dunno what can be done about it unless .....

Already answered that one SP.... not a Scooby.

This forum works because there are plentiful people who not only know what they are talking about but are willing to learn, adapt and play nice with each other.
It would be totally wrong to say that anyone who disagrees with those frequent fliers should be banned, this forum is better then that.
Equally, people, no matter how many posts, few or many, who disrupt advice threads should not be tolerated. And to be fair to the mods, generally aren't.
As Fredd says, the place for many of the discussions is the Flame Pit

The question is where the line is between useful advice and OMG, here we go again.
Often very fine and certainly can only be judged on a case by case basis.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 21st June 2018 - 19:45
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.