PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Layby overnight parking allowed ?
Roverboy
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 09:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Some years ago I went to Cornwall and I very much remember as we got near to the "touristy" areas all the laybys had council signs saying NO OVERNIGHT PARKING ALLOWED and I think some bylaw quoted.

Now I'm sure I read some news report somewhere that someone had taken a council on over this as unlawful and won, anyone down there know if this is true, as SWMBO and me next year are thinking of doing a south coast tour in a motorhome, and to be able to occasionally stop in laybys overnight would be great.

--------------------
Diesel, the fuel of the future......

Roverboy 2 Apcoa 0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 09:47
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 12:06
Post #2

Member No.: 59,097

This was discussed in here quite recently. I recall GBBHOY (?) commenting. try a search and see if anything turns up

+Quote Post
seank
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 12:34
Post #3

Member No.: 61,183

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/N...il-18062017.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-high...slands-19672972

The local authority said the signs were "advisory" and it had never made any efforts to enforce the message they carried.
The transport, environmental and community services committee voted 12 to eight on Thursday in favour of removing the notices.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorh...ht-parking.html
Following the initial correspondence which had been received on the 3rd August 2009, Scotland TranServ has fully investigated the details of your correspondence and is pleased to report our findings which are noted below.

Since your initial correspondence has been received, a detailed investigation has taken place and I am pleased to confirm that the signs are not legally enforcable and act as a detterent to ensure the safety of the travelling public is not compromised with large numbers of traffic potentially leaving and entering onto the trunk road network.

I trust that I have been able to answer your query sufficiently, however if you have any further questions or wish to report any further information please contact me using the methods shown below.

To report defects please telephone 0800 028 1414, this service is available on a 24 hour basis and is operational 365 days a year.

This post has been edited by seank: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 12:44

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 12:35
Post #4

Member No.: 11,355

This might help although its a bit old:-

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm

Since the layby is still part of the "Road" you might get nicked by the BIB if your motor home exceeds 3.5 tonnes unless it shows lights after dark.

I am toying with the idea of having a LWB Mercedes Sprinter converted but the age/cost ratio (my age/the project cost) leads me to the conclusion that king sized beds in 5* hotels might be cheaper in the short term.

Mick

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 21:21
Post #5

Member No.: 22,424

I was in a layby recently and overnight parking was prohibited by bylaws according to the sign.

Pretty sure it was on the way up north but that could have been anywhere between Glasgow and Inverness.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 21st June 2018 - 19:46
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.