PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Tyre Aspect Ratio. Can i fit 65's instead of 70's?
Roamingandy
post Wed, 13 Sep 2017 - 21:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,810

in the UK i don't really worry about summer/winter tyre changes as the temp is pretty modest and on the few days its really bad i can just not drive. I'm thinking of heading on a road trip to Europe and driving through hot to cold countries with nowhere to store 4 spare tyres, the only option really is all-weathers. one of my current tyres isn't and one ..maybe 2 others are getting a bit past it for a long road trip so i'm looking at getting 4 new tyres

the reviews and tests on these look fantastic, and the price is great too, but the aspect ratio is 65 rather than the manufacturer suggested 70. Vredestein don't make this tyre in a 70, although everything else is the same.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s7994p1255..._Noise%3A_69dB#

the official MOT guide says its grounds for a failure if:

a. One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle

which to me reads that its ok as long as the alternate side is the same. i'd imagine that the difference is less than having one worn tire and one new anyway, but i wanted to request some experienced opinions before purchasing in case i'm about to get myself into a hole

the vehicle is a 2002 311CDI Mercedes Sprinter and the manufacturers guidance says tyres should be: 195/70 R15. can i legally use them?

thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Wed, 13 Sep 2017 - 21:30
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 04:24
Post #2

Member No.: 317

They would be fine (and legal) difference in rolling radius is small (3%) and will only make the speedo over read more, consider also 205/65 where the rolling radius change is just -1%

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 05:32

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
samthecat
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 07:46
Post #3

Member No.: 83,881

I agree with the above but wonder if the OP's insurers would need to be updated?
Would this count as a modification in their world?

--------------------
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

+Quote Post
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 08:39
Post #4

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (samthecat @ Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 08:46) *
I agree with the above but wonder if the OP's insurers would need to be updated?
Would this count as a modification in their world?

It might. Better to check now than for it to come to light after a claim. Better still to check before buying thetyres.

+Quote Post
mashman36
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 09:22
Post #5

Member No.: 38,027

Buy the uniroyal rainsport threes .sell them on same website and are far better and they have them in your size.

+Quote Post
kommando
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 14:39
Post #6

Member No.: 57,558

When I did this I found the different aspect tyres were an original option on steel wheels where alloys were not fitted so fitted the steel wheels with winter tyres in winter and alloy with summer tyres in winter.

+Quote Post
Roamingandy
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 19:50
Post #7

Member No.: 90,810

QUOTE (mashman36 @ Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 10:22) *
Buy the uniroyal rainsport threes .sell them on same website and are far better and they have them in your size.

interesting, thanks for the suggestion. i should mention its a 3.5T van and the forums suggest the Uniroyals might wear out pretty quick with heavier vehicles. i'm trying to find someone else who's used these on a big van to see how they got on

+Quote Post
mickR
post Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 20:51
Post #8

Member No.: 9,919

Errrrr your fitting a 91 rated tyre on a 3.5t van???

+Quote Post
Spclexus
post Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 14:28
Post #9

Member No.: 93,787

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 15:02
Post #10

Member No.: 49,223

Will it fit is not quite the question.

The load rating should be checked for sure as it will be extremely dangerous if under the minimum listed.

The manufacturer will specify OEM sizes (possibly only one though). Deviation from that will almost require the insurer to be advised.

As Rookie noted, a slightly wider tyre could be an option with the reduced aspect but I believe some owners have kept the same aspect to actually increase the circumference to increase the overall gearing to making cruising more 'efficient'. (well at least a few less rpm's)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 20:26
Post #11

Member No.: 9,919

QUOTE (Spclexus @ Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 15:28) *

The tyre size nor the rolling radius are the issue as you will find a combination to fit.
However if you fit 91 rated tyres on a van which should have no less than 102/104 rated maybe even upto 120 load rating you are likely to be in danger of a sidewall failure and an accident, it may also invalidate your insurance and even lead to a prosecution
wink.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 17 Sep 2017 - 09:01
Post #12

Member No.: 22,424

QUOTE (mashman36 @ Thu, 14 Sep 2017 - 10:22) *

+1 Rainsports are the only non-budget tyre I'd ever go for now.

+Quote Post
panther12
post Sun, 17 Sep 2017 - 12:17
Post #13

Member No.: 3,695

I have the Vredestein Quatrac5 and although only fitted to a small runaround ford ka (165 x 13) I really like them. Never had all season tyres before but on the bit of snow we had last year I was very surprised how well they gripped. From the reviews I read at the time, other all season brands pipped them in normal weather wet/dry but on actual snow got high reviews.

+Quote Post
Spclexus
post Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 19:56
Post #14

Member No.: 93,787

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 16:02) *
Will it fit is not quite the question.

I agree its just the website name, however i thought the fact that it gives a visual representation of different sizes may help.

QUOTE (mickR @ Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 21:26) *
QUOTE (Spclexus @ Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 15:28) *

The tyre size nor the rolling radius are the issue as you will find a combination to fit.

I agree, you can get a lot of different sizes on any given rim to fit, the website gives you the speed error rating for different size tyres on a rim . I thought The extra information would help.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 20 Sep 2017 - 15:46
Post #15

Member No.: 49,223

Yes, useful information - just needed context. wink.gif

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 24th September 2018 - 04:47
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.