PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recycling Police in Action, No id No dumping
Glitch
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 13:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,127

Just paid a trip to my local waste recycling site. Green garden waste and one cardboard box.

Realised as I approached that I did not have the requested id - driving licence or council tax bill.

Rather than turn back I thought I would have a go at blagging my way in. The teenager at the gate was having none of it but I had to drive through the site to get out again.

I did them the disservice of believing that once out of sight I could carry on disposing of my rubbish. After all I am a resident of the appropriate council and fully entitled to dump.

I managed to rid of the massive bag of garden rubbish and got intercepted by a man with hard hat and walkie talkie whilst taking out the bag of grass clippings and a box.

"He has already dumped!" he says into the radio "Registration number is ....."

I carried on dumping. Then asked the guy what was going to happen to me. "A possible fine and your vehicle blacklisted"

"But I can assure you I am a resident. I will go and get the id if you insist"

Supervisor arrives - nice Polish chap in a hard hat (but no radio). I remain calm but ready for tussle over getting fined, thinking how on earth could they successfully fine a resident.

I resisted the temptation to just jump in the car and drive off as I don't see they would have any powers at all to stop me.
I had visions of the council using the DVLA to get my address, only to find I do live in their catchment.

Despite Polish supervisor and Walkie Talkie man making lots of noise about breaking the regulations they didn't seem to be able to tell me what was going to happen to me.
I calm down at this point and accept they are "just following orders" and they have no idea if I am resident or not. I offer to go get the id. I apologise (WTF getting soft!).

Polish supervisor lets me off with "a warning"

Anyone know what power these guys have and how the fines can be imposed? Can they successfully fine someone that qualifies to dump there anyway?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 13:41
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
bama
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 14:23
Post #2

Member No.: 4,323

what council ? have you checked their website for clues ?

--------------------
Which facts in any situation or problem are “essential” and what makes them “essential”? If the “essential” facts are said to depend on the principles involved, then the whole business, all too obviously, goes right around in a circle. In the light of one principle or set of principles, one bunch of facts will be the “essential” ones; in the light of another principle or set of principles, a different bunch of facts will be “essential.” In order to settle on the right facts you first have to pick your principles, although the whole point of finding the facts was to indicate which principles apply.

Note that I am not legally qualified and any and all statements made are "Reserved". Liability for application lies with the reader.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 14:36
Post #3

Member No.: 22,424

Just tell them to get it up them and continue dumping.

If your a real man, you shall now return to the dump and do it again, and do it every day just to annoy them.

+Quote Post
Glitch
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 14:49
Post #4

QUOTE (bama @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:23) *
what council ? have you checked their website for clues ?

All they have is this showing id at recycling and nothing about fines that I can see on the ELWA site.

I suspect the whole thing is unenforceable.

They should turn people away and not let them enter the site. However there is no easy way out, esp if there is a queue.

Or they should take a tenner (though I had no money) and refund it at the exit if I haven't dumped.

Fact is once inside there is little they can do other than call the BIB and do me for a PO offence - causing alarm and distress to other dumpers and men in hard hats? Or maybe trespass although they invited me in?

I will of course ensure I have the appropriate id in future and avoid an confrontation rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:36) *
Just tell them to get it up them and continue dumping.

If your a real man, you shall now return to the dump and do it again, and do it every day just to annoy them.

I am a southern softy and I couldn't possibly cause annoyance to anyone wink.gif

+Quote Post
WageSlave
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:14
Post #5

Member No.: 49,581

Seems these days it's a case of "Local dumps for local people". Similar thing happened last time I went to my nearest dump/recycling centre. Although I live in one London borough my nearest facility is actually in a neighbouring borough - been going there for years and this was the first time that I'd been asked to provide proof of address just to use a dump.

So I had to drive another four or five miles to the one that is actually in my borough. How is that 'environmentally friendly'? Numpties.

Luckily the dump within my own borough didn't bother with any ID/proof of address checking nonsense. I drove straight from one dump to the other and didn't go home to fetch a council tax or utility bill. Seemed like entirely too much fuss just to get rid of an old mattress.

+Quote Post
susie_mcg
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:26
Post #6

Member No.: 34,307

No wonder people dump stuff at the side of the road. I'd have thought they'd make it a bit easier for people to do it properly to prevent that!

+Quote Post
Transit man
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:44
Post #7

Member No.: 18,111

My local dump ask for no ID, anyone can dump rubbish there, except.........if you are in a commercial vehicle. But that is overcome by applying to the local gestapo Council for commercial vehicle passes.

So where's the logic? I understand that commercial waste is chargeable, but as I have a pass, I just get waved in to dump my load of asbestos, dangerous chemicals, plasterboard etc. Not really, just household rubbish, but could very well be commercial/dangerous waste. But as Susie says, every incentive for certain people to dump on the side of the road.

--------------------
Now driving a Mercedes Sprinter, the Transit died of too much work.
Results for last 5 years:-
12 PPC tickets received, 0 paid
2 Council tickets received, 0 paid (both canceled)
2 Nip's in 40 years 1 paid (damn!)
1 SAC, duly educated!

+Quote Post
albert2008
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:49
Post #8

Member No.: 21,857

had hassle at our local tip, told me I was blacklisted and never to return,
I had given another person a battery I was going to recycle, told by him that ANYTHING coming through the gates were now council property,
asked him how was I going to get my vehicle back then,
said "trying to be a clever c##t " in front of witnesses,
returned later and he was giving an OAP hassle, so we both reported him to the town hall,
next time I went he had " been transferred "

+Quote Post
whitewing
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 16:05
Post #9

Member No.: 6,999

Dumping without permission is probably technically flytipping.

I find lunchtime is often a good time to go as the staff are too busy eating to care what happens outside.

+Quote Post
Glitch
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 16:55
Post #10

QUOTE (whitewing @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 17:05) *
Dumping without permission is probably technically flytipping.

I find lunchtime is often a good time to go as the staff are too busy eating to care what happens outside.

That would be an interesting prosecution.

Headline

Council resident caught dumping rubbish at the errmm - Council Dump

+Quote Post
cieranc
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 18:10
Post #11

Member No.: 5,532

QUOTE (Glitch @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:49) *
Or maybe trespass although they invited me in?

It is my understanding that traspass is a civil offence, not a criminal one.

QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 15:36) *

Yep,make sure you take half a dozen tyres to dump each time too.....

QUOTE (albert2008 @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 16:49) *
had hassle at our local tip, told me I was blacklisted and never to return,
I had given another person a battery I was going to recycle, told by him that ANYTHING coming through the gates were now council property,

Car batteries have a decent scrap price. About £5 each up this way for average car sized batteries, as scrap.
That'll be why he took the hump, he was gonna make some dough off it.

--------------------
"You won't like me when I'm angry. Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources."

The Credible Hulk.

+Quote Post
Glitch
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 20:25
Post #12

QUOTE (cieranc @ Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 19:10) *
Yep,make sure you take half a dozen tyres to dump each time too.....

Burning ones of course.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 22:58
Post #13

Member No.: 22,424

This ID business is ridiculous. Our local trialled it, but when you didn't have any they just asked your postcode and talked to you about how the weather was... nice guys up there (except when they try to tell you how to park- even though what they suggest is litterally impossible)

+Quote Post
Cargy
post Sun, 22 Apr 2012 - 23:09
Post #14

Member No.: 16,048

Yeah, we've got one at our local tip in Paignton. When I last went he was stood at the entrance, wearing mirrored aviator shades, and checking every car for ID. I even had to open the car to show him what I was bringing in.

Every time I see him I can't help seeing Cartman saying "Respect my athoritah!".

--------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Quis tacet consentit

+Quote Post
Mike7777777
post Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 07:17
Post #15

Member No.: 6,428

You now need ID to go to the rubbish dump? The world has gone mad.

+Quote Post
MartinHP71
post Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 10:04
Post #16

Member No.: 6,622

QUOTE (Mike7777777 @ Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 08:17) *
You now need ID to go to the rubbish dump? The world has gone mad.

And you have only just realised ? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 14:45
Post #17

Member No.: 16,671

It's an interesting one. I don't have any problems with them asking for ID personally but I see the daftness of the ensuing situation.

I know someone in the Council might be able to answer the question of 'what happens'. I'll let you know.

The Newham dump, being postioned way over one side of the Borough, allows Redbridge and , I think, B&D residents. I wonder if the arrangement is reciprocated - although it's of no benefit at all to most Newham residents.

I laughed at the bit in the link referring to 'what if I don't have ID, etc'

Speak to site staff or ring?? - and what?

I've always had problems trying to dump from my van when it's honestly household. personal stuff. They just feck me off.
Asked, as suggested above, on the phone and they said fine, just explain to site staff. -- and of course got told to feck off again.

-

--------------------
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:30) *
Neil is good at working backwards.

+Quote Post
jdh
post Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 20:09
Post #18

Member No.: 1,224

Our tip, sorry waste transfer and recycling facility, has big 'no commercial vehicles' signs at the entrance which means that when I'm doing the annual garage/garden muck out I'm supposed to make multiple trips in the car rather than 1 trip in the van. Sod that, I don't take the P and try and offload commercial waste so I just play dumb and get emptied before Johnny Jobsworth turns up.

+Quote Post
jimster
post Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 20:52
Post #19

Member No.: 33,503

My recycling moto

If it fits in the car .... it fits in my (and my neighbour's if there's room) wheely bin

Sod driving a load of rubbish to the dump

+Quote Post
Gan
post Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 22:31
Post #20

Member No.: 27,239

QUOTE (jimster @ Mon, 23 Apr 2012 - 21:52) *
My recycling moto

If it fits in the car .... it fits in my (and my neighbour's if there's room) wheely bin

Sod driving a load of rubbish to the dump

When I was moving out of a flat years ago I had to deal with six months of milk bottles that should have been returned.

In the early hours I went round the neighbourhood.
For every two empty bottles I spotted on a doorstep, I added one of my own.
When I found it was taking too long I left the remainder at the council offices.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 07:34
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here