Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Radar gun but not pulled over (NIP?)
Hellfire8
post Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,831

Not for me but a friend is asking.

He went past a motorbike police officer who was facing down the hill on a duel carriageway with a mobile speed gun (radar version I am guessing) and was doing around 83/84mph. He wasn't pulled at the time but is worried he may receive an NIP but as far as I was aware the mobile guns only recorded speed, not photos and or took reg down, am I right in saying that if he was going to be caught for it he would've been pulled at the time,

According to him the officer was exactly like this (but actually sitting on the back of his bike at the time

Am I right or could he still get an NIP for it?

To add - He has stated he was driving with the flow of traffic, moving parallel with a car doing around the same speed at the time and with multiple cars/vehicles.

This post has been edited by Hellfire8: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:12
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:11
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:15
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Hellfire8 @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 16:11) *
Absolutely. It's more likely they would looking for really lairy speeds - and would have pulled. Normal enforcement starts at +10%+2mph. If they are going to issue a NIP then they have 14 days to send the 1st one to the registered keeper.

To add - He has stated he was driving with the flow of traffic, moving parallel with a car doing around the same speed at the time and with multiple cars in the same area.
Flow of traffic is no defence...

Just to add that photo's/video aren't required although the device may have had such capability. However, more likely it was a laser-based device with accurate sighting to aim at individual vehicles.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:16

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
justforthepictur...
post Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:17
Post #3

Member No.: 40,004

He went past a motorbike police officer who was facing down the hill on a duel carriageway with a mobile speed gun (radar version I am guessing) and was doing around 83/84mph. He wasn't pulled at the time but is worried he may receive an NIP but as far as I was aware the mobile guns only recorded speed, not photos and or took reg down, am I right in saying that if he was going to be caught for it he would've been pulled at the time,

According to him the officer was exactly like this (but actually sitting on the back of his bike at the time

To add - He has stated he was driving with the flow of traffic, moving parallel with a car doing around the same speed at the time and with multiple cars/vehicles.

It would depend upon what type of equipment was being used.

Increasingly common is civilian based motorcycle enforcement using the Ranger system. This is laser based (not radar), exactly the same as in a van, but a bit more portable, everything being recorded to a hard drive and a media card.

If this was in use and a clear line of site was possible to the target vehicle in question, as opposed to going through start or end checks, then a NIP will result.

This post has been edited by justforthepictures: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:18

--------------------
'Speed Kills' simply means, hit something or someone fast enough and it will result in a fatality.

+Quote Post
sgtdixie
post Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 16:43
Post #4

Member No.: 46,399

QUOTE (justforthepictures @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 16:17) *

It would depend upon what type of equipment was being used.

Increasingly common is civilian based motorcycle enforcement using the Ranger system. This is laser based (not radar), exactly the same as in a van, but a bit more portable, everything being recorded to a hard drive and a media card.

If this was in use and a clear line of site was possible to the target vehicle in question, as opposed to going through start or end checks, then a NIP will result.

I would suggest this isn't the Ranger system but rather an old fashioned Traffic bike Cop as he was sat astride the machine. That implies he was ready to go after any offenders which safety camera operators don't do.

If he recorded your speed on his device he simply reads your number plate as you go past and processes it in the same way as normal.

You will have to wait 14 days to find out.

+Quote Post
gedblanker
post Thu, 3 Apr 2014 - 13:20
Post #5

Member No.: 69,818

The device in the picture is an LTI20.20 TruCam. A laser and camera combination. See: http://www.teletrafficuk.com/products/spee...ndhelds/trucam/

The officer need not stop anyone at the time as the digital video camera records are read back at the police station and tickets sent out after the event.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 3 Apr 2014 - 17:55
Post #6

Member No.: 317

As SD says I suspect he was a real traffic officer and as such would only go after someone who stood out, no point going after someone at 10mph over the limit and missing those doing 20mph or more over while you are doing that stop.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
sgtdixie
post Thu, 3 Apr 2014 - 18:01
Post #7

Member No.: 46,399

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 3 Apr 2014 - 18:55) *
As SD says I suspect he was a real traffic officer and as such would only go after someone who stood out, no point going after someone at 10mph over the limit and missing those doing 20mph or more over while you are doing that stop.

And a real Traffic Officer will probably have a much higher threshold than a safety camera operator.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 08:16
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here