PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20mph on the motorway
glasgow_bhoy
post Tue, 26 Sep 2017 - 21:48
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,424

Noticing a couple of posters in the speeding forum for exceeding 20mph on variable motorways.

Does anyone understand the reasoning behind these speed limits?

Personally anything under 50mph on the motorway makes me feel quite vulnerable!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 49)
Advertisement
post Tue, 26 Sep 2017 - 21:48
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 09:09
Post #41

Member No.: 74,048

many moons ago my windscreen shattered on an HGV, I pulled over contacted police and was told they would contact my company and arrange recovery. I was about 5 miles from base and it was a nice day. so I said not to bother I would limp home. Stay off the hard shoulder and not below 40 mph were the instruction. I you do then we may prosecute for obstruction.

So in the early 80's below 40 was deemed unsafe. Now we have variable speed limits, research shows that reducing the limit reduces congestion, so now thr busier it gets the lower the speed. (albeit this happens naturally) Eventually someone will realise there is a minimum that (a) works to reduce congestion and (b) the majority of people will obey.

To fast or to slow is not the real danger it is to fast or to slow in relation to the bulk of traffic

maybe the answer is a minimum speed for a fourth lane and both the driver and the vehicle have to meet a certain criteria to use it, but what is not the answer is people thinking I'm good I can drive at 100mph no problem. Coz there is, it's everyone else

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
seank
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 09:17
Post #42

Member No.: 61,183

The problem is that the public sector takes no account of the effects their decisions have on UK plc.
They do a risk assessment and set a speed limit of 20mph on a motorway. The risk to them is a single person who might be injured in a collision, at whatever speed.
It makes absolutely no difference to them whatever cost, inconvenience or hardship motorists have to endure if the limit is too low.
Red China is a high tax, big state where individuals are dictated to and allowed little personal decision-making.
That seems to be the way it's going here.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 17:39
Post #43

Member No.: 317

A 20mph speed limit for 3 miles would delay a truck for circa 6 minutes, is it really that relevant.

An accident with an injury through not setting it could create hours of delay.

While an accident of course isn't certain to happen if it just happened say 5% of the time we would still be better off with the 20 limit. Maths isn't really hard, unless of course it blows your argument to shreds then I guess it's hard to swallow.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 17:40

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 17:59
Post #44

Member No.: 10,873

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 18:39) *
A 20mph speed limit for 3 miles would delay a truck for circa 6 minutes, is it really that relevant.

An accident with an injury through not setting it could create hours of delay.

While an accident of course isn't certain to happen if it just happened say 5% of the time we would still be better off with the 20 limit. Maths isn't really hard, unless of course it blows your argument to shreds then I guess it's hard to swallow.

There has been a run done by my ex company Countless times a day,7 days a week.The run is aprox 100 miles each way.80 miles of that was under unnecessary speed restriction 24 hours a day and sometimes worse than others.When the restrictions were eventually lifted the journey time each way went down by 30 minutes.That is one run of thousands.
Some drive further than Asda you know!

Many cruise controls do not work at 20mph so i guess cameras under them conditions would be quite fruitful and here seems to be backing that up.

If you need signs to tell you to drive to the conditions then i would start looking at why that is,rather than preaching crap to others that dont.

Slow down Road works 3 miles ahead lol.Were run by idiots,or they have an agenda,id go with the later.......

This post has been edited by fedup2: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 17:59

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 18:28
Post #45

Member No.: 317

The issue is that often a driver won't see the relevant condition until it's too late, it may not even be visible, a 20 rare, usually when the Mway is shut and traffic will come to a standstill on the off slip anyway so time lost by putting in a 20 is zero, just slows everyone down before it gets to the stationary traffic, sounds perfectly sensible even to you surely?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 18:43
Post #46

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 19:28) *
The issue is that often a driver won't see the relevant condition until it's too late, it may not even be visible, a 20 rare, usually when the Mway is shut and traffic will come to a standstill on the off slip anyway so time lost by putting in a 20 is zero, just slows everyone down before it gets to the stationary traffic, sounds perfectly sensible even to you surely?

Like i said,i managed quite well long before silly limits and signs and still can.Which drivers are you on about? You? Or is it a 'them' thing?

This post has been edited by fedup2: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 18:45

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 18:55
Post #47

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 19:43) *

Like i said,i managed quite well long before silly limits and signs and still can.Which drivers are you on about? You? Or is it a 'them' thing?

TBH mate, all of them !
Many years ago my driving instructor said treat every other driver on the road as an idiot.
I philosophy I have found no reason to disagree with.
Even less so with many drivers on motorways, no lane discipline, no stopping distance and seemingly no awareness of anyone or anything else on the road.

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 19:44
Post #48

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 19:55) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 19:43) *

TBH mate, all of them !
Many years ago my driving instructor said treat every other driver on the road as an idiot.
I philosophy I have found no reason to disagree with.
Even less so with many drivers on motorways, no lane discipline, no stopping distance and seemingly no awareness of anyone or anything else on the road.

Driving instructors are partly responsible for the mess.More often than not they dont know their arse from their elbow although this country does seem to be breeding idiots as a whole.It was only the other day,i saw on a Forum an OP complaining that her driving instructor had instructed her to do a Turn in the road.Many of the following posts were of get a new driving instructor.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Sat, 30 Sep 2017 - 23:46
Post #49

Member No.: 74,048

it's ***kin scary when an HGV driver who purports to be amongst the best thinks he should set his own speed limit. Moaning coz cruise control wont work. You drive the F***ing thing.
You'll moan more when a computers doing it

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 09:40
Post #50

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 00:46) *
it's ***kin scary when an HGV driver who purports to be amongst the best thinks he should set his own speed limit. Moaning coz cruise control wont work. You drive the F***ing thing.
You'll moan more when a computers doing it

Dont you just love the folk that cant read properly smile.gif

You scare easy too.Best get under the bed.............

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 13:29
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here