PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

NIP arrived late: one month or four months depending...
Chocky Chockster
post Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 76,996

Just got a NIP today, 11 November, for doing 42 in a 30 zone, from a GATSO on the A4 Bristol-Bath road near the junction with Flowers Hill.

The date of the offence is 22 July, so obviously well outside the 14 days. One wrinkle though, is that I was rather late in registering my car, so although I was the keeper, I was not the registered keeper until October. The date on the V5 is 11 October.

Does this complication with registering the ownership affect things? What do you recommend?

This post has been edited by Chocky Chockster: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:32
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:26
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:34
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

The 14 day limit is only relevant to the first NIP, so the timing is not going to have any impact in your case, as the initial nip would have gone to the previous keeper. In any event you need to name the driver within 28 days.

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:38
Post #3

Member No.: 14,720

You may have shot yourself in the foot by not registering your car promptly.

You qualify for a SAC (assuming you've not done one in last 3 years), but they normally have to be completed within 4 months of the offence. Suggest you return the S.172 ASAP. If you're too late for a SAC it'll be CoFP for 3 points and £100 fine.

This post has been edited by peterguk: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:40

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 12 Nov 2017 - 09:36
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Chocky Chockster @ Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:26) *
One wrinkle though, is that I was rather late in registering my car, so although I was the keeper, I was not the registered keeper until October.

How did you think they would contact you within 14 days? As already noted, it's only the 1st NIP that has this stipulation.

I'd recommend naming the driver sooner rather than later (presuming it's you) as it's not close enough for a 'time out' (6 months) but you want to avoid the matter being too late for a fixed penalty offer as the matter will go to court instead.

QUOTE (peterguk @ Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:38) *
You qualify for a SAC (assuming you've not done one in last 3 years), but they normally have to be completed within 4 months of the offence.

Indeed - if this is attractive they may still consider one if you contact them quickly to confirm.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Chocky Chockster
post Thu, 7 Dec 2017 - 15:05
Post #5

Member No.: 76,996

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 12 Nov 2017 - 09:36) *
QUOTE (peterguk @ Sat, 11 Nov 2017 - 23:38) *
You qualify for a SAC (assuming you've not done one in last 3 years), but they normally have to be completed within 4 months of the offence.

Indeed - if this is attractive they may still consider one if you contact them quickly to confirm.

As it turned out, no workshop was offered. At the end of the day it was a fair cop, so I paid the fine and took the points. Thanks for all your advice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 24th June 2018 - 04:51
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.