Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Wanted - 125cc Bike for Learner
firefly
post Wed, 22 Jun 2005 - 11:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 298

Hi all,

I'm starting a new job next month and I've decided to go on two wheels as opposed to four.  I can't be bothered with sitting on a train day in, day out - so I've decided the best thing to do would be to pass my CBT test and get a bike.

I'm a total beginner, but I was thinking about getting a second hand 125cc bike (Aprilia, Honda).  Can anyone:
i) Recommend, or know of anyone who would sell such a thing
ii) Advise of the best kind of bike for me (I'd like as much grunt as 125cc can offer... icon_wink.gif )

Any other tips that you think would help would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Wed, 22 Jun 2005 - 11:31
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
OU812
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 15:43
Post #21

Member No.: 1,120

Perhaps someone can clear this up for me (havent been able to find a definitive answer on the web yet)

If I've held a car licence for 12 years and I want to take my direct access, do I still need to take a theory test (I realise I have to do CBT if I want to ride anything over 50cc) before I can take direct access?

Also does anyone know if you can restrict a Harley Sportster 883 down to 33bhp (please no Harley bashing :-) ) my local Harley dealer wouldnt comment on it/wouldnt do it

+Quote Post
peteturbo
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 15:45
Post #22

Member No.: 1,219

Who's this demolay character someones been keeping quiet about anyhow, eh, eh?

At least he finally answered my question about the pace answer by the highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

--------------------
Have you benefited from Pepipoo?   Please make a reasonable donation  or become a member.  

Peteturbo

+Quote Post
Blackbird
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 15:52
Post #23

Member No.: 200

Hi FF
I don't want anything too big (i.e. powerful)
 I fully take that point and a wise decision when you first start riding.
I would however reiterate my points.  The RS125 is one of the most powerful 125cc bikes but it makes it's power at a cost.  All 2 strokes need loads of revs to produce their power, otherwise they are as flat as a pancake. Running costs are also 'high'.  Being a Race Rep the RS is a heads down bum up max revs ride - not what you need in traffic.  I commute when I work 'local' (up to 30 miles) on a dirt bike, high up to see over the traffic and hence the gaps, plenty of low down grunt for overtakes which leads to plenty of daily fun.  Longer distances are covered by something with a little more power  :wink:
I still feel that DA would be the way to go then you can choose something that has enough torque, speed and last but not least comfort if that is your thing.

Regards

--------------------

+Quote Post
firefly
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 16:02
Post #24

Thanks Blackbird.  Point taken.

So if I was sticking to the 125, something like this one would be the order of the day (2000 W-reg Hyosung)?

Cheers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZX6R
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 16:04
Post #25

Member No.: 3,064

If I've held a car licence for 12 years and I want to take my direct access, do I still need to take a theory test (I realise I have to do CBT if I want to ride anything over 50cc) before I can take direct access?

You'll need to do CBT and Theory for bikes (it's a different test to cars) before you can sit practical DAS test.

Normally you'd do CBT before theory, but I don't think that's necessary.

Reagrds

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 19:07
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (firefly)
So if I was sticking to the 125, something like this one would be the order of the day (2000 W-reg Hyosung)?

IMHO that's a lot of money for a gutless bike that you'd probably drop and therefore lose a lot on when you come to sell.

You could do Direct Access and get a half decent CB500 (not insanely quick, but enough power and torque to get out of trouble and commute/tour with ease) for less than that.

If you have serious self-control issues, I doubt you'd be happy with a 125 for more than the first mile or so anyway.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
Blackbird
post Thu, 23 Jun 2005 - 19:43
Post #27

Member No.: 200

Andy
You could do Direct Access and get a half decent CB500 (not insanely quick, but enough power and torque to get out of trouble and commute/tour with ease) for less than that.

If you have serious self-control issues, I doubt you'd be happy with a 125 for more than the first mile or so anyway.
 Couldn't have put it better myself and bikes like that are cheap to run maintain and if dropped repair.

Regards

--------------------

+Quote Post
OU812
post Fri, 24 Jun 2005 - 09:34
Post #28

Member No.: 1,120

QUOTE (ZX6R)

You'll need to do CBT and Theory for bikes (it's a different test to cars) before you can sit practical DAS test.

Normally you'd do CBT before theory, but I don't think that's necessary.

Reagrds

Thanks

+Quote Post
Bob_Sprocket
post Fri, 24 Jun 2005 - 11:41
Post #29

Member No.: 1,341

QUOTE (Blackbird)
Andy

Couldn't have put it better myself and bikes like that are cheap to run maintain and if dropped repair.

I agree. In terms of safety a 500 cc bike would be a much better bet than a 125. For commuting I would also think about something with a bit of weather protection.

Bob

+Quote Post
firefly
post Tue, 28 Jun 2005 - 14:05
Post #30

Whilst all you bikey guys will no doubt snigger... icon_eek.gif , I went with a nearly-new Suzuki 125.  Tried it out for a couple of miles and I'm happy enough with the take off from standing, plus the cruising speed (happy at 70mph).

If I do decide to upgrade, I'll not lose too much on the trade-in (judging from the other prices quoted).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZX6R
post Tue, 28 Jun 2005 - 15:27
Post #31

Member No.: 3,064

Congrats, and no sniggering here.

Not a bad choice, IMHO, as 125's go.  Should be OK for you to begin with, and as you say it'll trade in OK if you upgrade.

At least you ignored the scooter advice....

And 125 'sports' bikes are best left for 17 year olds...

Keep us all posted on how you get on.

Good Luck

Steve

+Quote Post
peteturbo
post Tue, 28 Jun 2005 - 16:04
Post #32

fair enough

If I do decide to upgrade, I'll not lose too much on the trade-in (judging from the other prices quoted).  

just keep it upright (well, nearly)

--------------------
Have you benefited from Pepipoo?   Please make a reasonable donation  or become a member.  

Peteturbo

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Tue, 28 Jun 2005 - 16:14
Post #33

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

1. What ZX6R said.
2. Get a half-decent lock and chain. If a bike ain't locked to something heavy, it ain't locked.
3. Half-way through a tight bend when you relise you're going too fast, you probably aren't - if you crank the bike right over, you'll probably make it (or fall off from 6" above the road). If you brake, you'll go into the hedge/on-coming traffic.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
LancashireLad
post Thu, 30 Jun 2005 - 21:42
Post #34

Member No.: 2,011

I would still think about hiring for a direct access course because 125cc soon leads to 250 which soon goes to 400 (then I had an accident on my CBR400 and got the fear for a while before going back to CB600 Hornet)  Trust me you will get sick of winding up the throttle to get up to 60.  I have only ever had 4 strokes so I can't comment on 2 stroke stuff (cb125, cbr 400 and cb600, I like hondas smile.gif )

And as everyone else here has said, essentials are decent armour plating, broken legs arent fun.  Decent lock and chain. £150 chain means £3000 bike still there when you get back.  Kryptonite 'fahgettaboudit' chain is good (the lock is crap, I got my lock from a local locksmith) it isnt very long though.

+Quote Post
MrsMiggins
post Thu, 30 Jun 2005 - 22:38
Post #35

Member No.: 1,078

I don't know; you boys and your toys, especially you, peteturbo, and your scooter aversion  :roll:

The man wanted something which was not too fast, easy to ride and good for commuting.  A scooter fits all those criteria.  The immediate leap to 'you want a proper bike' was a wee bit sad, especially as he never once mentioned looking at, never mind sitting on, a Hardly Dangerous.  I hesitate to make a comparison between the size of a man's engine and the size of his 'equipment' but... icon_wink.gif

ff, enjoy the 125.  It's a good basic bike and should serve you well, although I won't be surprised if you get a bit bored and decide to do direct access within the next 6-12 months!

Have you arranged that CBT yet?  If not, and you want any help or advice beforehand, let me know.  I teach CBT at the weekend as a pleasant diversion from the strains of sitting behind a desk all day, so I should be able to answer any questions you might have.  It'll be a pleasant change being the one in the know on this forum. laugh.gif

Either way, welcome to the world of 2 wheels; yer gonnae love it!

+Quote Post
chadders
post Sat, 16 Jul 2005 - 16:22
Post #36

Member No.: 1,888

Just chatting with a Kwik-Fit fella, who's passed his bike test recently and got a nice gixxer-6.

Anyway, he mentioned how he had to be careful as he's on probation with his licence - as in how a new beginner with a fresh licence is. So whether he get's points for driving car or bike and get's 6, it's a re-test  :shock:

All despite driving car for 17 years, just by adding a new category to his licence. Is this correct?

+Quote Post
MrsMiggins
post Sat, 16 Jul 2005 - 17:27
Post #37

Member No.: 1,078

AFAIK, you are only on probation when you get your first full licence, so he has the full 12 points to play with.  Edited to add this from the DVLA website (my emphasis in bold)

6. The Road Traffic ( New Drivers) Act 1995

This Act will affect you if you passed your first GB driving test after 1 June 1997 when it came into force. If the number of valid penalty points shown on your driving licence total 6 or more during the two year probationary period immediately following your first driving test, your full driving licence will be revoked by DVLA until such time as you pass a further driving test.

--------------------
LESS KODAK, MORE KOJAK!

+Quote Post
chadders
post Sat, 16 Jul 2005 - 22:59
Post #38

Member No.: 1,888

I wonder where he got that info from then? Just goes show! I'll print and give him the good news next time I passing.

+Quote Post
peteturbo
post Sun, 17 Jul 2005 - 08:10
Post #39

mrs miggins wrote;

you boys and your toys, especially you, peteturbo, and your scooter aversion  

Sorry Mrs!!!

--------------------

Peteturbo

+Quote Post
firefly
post Thu, 17 Nov 2005 - 18:48
Post #40

Glad to report that I passed my "big" bike test today.  :D   Did the direct access course and am picking up a Kawasaki ER-5 on Saturday.

As I have been used to riding a 125cc, the step up to the 500cc was great fun.  Opening the throttle and something actually happening was fantastic!  I don't suppose it'll be that long before I'm after something else... rolleyes.gif  

I hear the new Kawasaki ZZR1400 is something else... icon_eek.gif  :D

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 12:58
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here