Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

TVP / Speeding / PACE / Summons / Trial / Case Dismissed
nemo
post Tue, 21 Dec 2004 - 19:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,073

HI all,

New to the site under unfortunate circumstances but have been reading through the forums over the last couple of days and I would really appreciate some advice.

I was scamera'd on the A34 at 81 recently (LTI20-20).

The vehicle is company registered. A NIP was received at the office after 10 days.

One of my jobs is fleet adminstrator. I filled in the relevant sections of the NIP saying the addressee was not the driver and filled in my details in section 5. Stupidly and prematurely, I signed the NIP and not my boss.

Have I completely bolloxed up by self signing the NIP addressed to the company ??

A new NIP was received addressed to me a few days ago.

After reading through countless threads detailing PACE defences, I had intended to have a go down this route but I don't want to waste a whole heap of time fighting a pointless case if I have already tied the noose around my own neck.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Tue, 21 Dec 2004 - 19:06
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
nemo
post Thu, 17 Feb 2005 - 22:36
Post #21

QUOTE (andy_foster)
Getting Mr Pritchard to issue a summons for S172 isn't as easy as you might think  rolleyes.gif

If we assume that the PACE statement was completed correctly and contained all of the S172 required info, then it follows that Mr Pritchard is not following a consistent approach to PACE respondents.

Are you suggesting, Andy, that Mr Pritchard is easily confused ?  :lol:

+Quote Post
DW190
post Fri, 18 Feb 2005 - 09:02
Post #22

Member No.: 436

QUOTE (nemo)
QUOTE (andy_foster)
Getting Mr Pritchard to issue a summons for S172 isn't as easy as you might think  rolleyes.gif

If we assume that the PACE statement was completed correctly and contained all of the S172 required info, then it follows that Mr Pritchard is not following a consistent approach to PACE respondents.

Are you suggesting, Andy, that Mr Pritchard is easily confused ?  laugh.gif

I think Andy is trying to say that Mr P doesn't know if it's his hand or his head that's penetrating his rs.

--------------------
DW190

BLUNT PENCILS ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN SHARP MEMORIES

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||
|www.PePiPoo.com_||'""|""\_____
|_________________||__ |__|____|)
|(@) |(@)""**|(@)(@)**|(@)|(@)

Frequently Asked Questions

+Quote Post
zuegma
post Fri, 18 Feb 2005 - 09:32
Post #23

Member No.: 1,878

QUOTE (nemo)
If you supplied all the driver details on the PACE letter, under what circumstances are they sticking an S172 offence on you ?

If they proceed with an S172 summons which is flawed and have not summonsed you for the speeding offence, isn't that a result ??

I am quite looking forward to be summons for a S172 offence, whether or not it actually happens is an entirely different matter. They have all but threatened me with this charge and there exact words were:

A summons will be issued against the registered keeper or nominated driver of the vehicle. The offence for which the summons will be issued is detailed at the foot of the notice of intended prosecution form.

As you said it is very inconsistent approach TVP take towards PACE statements, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. If I do get to court on a S172 charge, I would love to call Mr Pritchard to the stand and ask him why my PACE statement did not comply with the S172 request but "Mr X's" PACE statement did, and watch him wriggle  :twisted:

--------------------

+Quote Post
nemo
post Tue, 1 Mar 2005 - 18:48
Post #24

Another update:

As stated above, I received a COFP along with a letter from TVP's Pritchard stating that PACE did not apply as Section 10.1 of Code C provides an exemption.

I ignored the COFP and the 28 day time period of the offer elapsed.

My question is, has anyone else had similar experiences with Thames Valley Police (namely Banbury) ? Is this just bluff & bluster or am I drawing ever nearer to a day in court ?

I read mcderyl's thread and was concerned that the Mags in his case found him guilty regardless of PACE etc. Is this a first ?

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Tue, 1 Mar 2005 - 20:05
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (nemo)
My question is, has anyone else had similar experiences with Thames Valley Police (namely Banbury) ? Is this just bluff & bluster or am I drawing ever nearer to a day in court ?

Yes. Myself, ThamesValley and Zuegma (to name but a few) have each had pretty much every conceivable B&B letter from Mr Pritchard.
None of us has received a summons yet, athough I was promised one shortly before being told that they had decided to take no further action.

It is very hard to determine what TVP intend to do, based solely on what they say they are going to do in their letters  rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
nemo
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 18:14
Post #26

edit to remove specifics

+Quote Post
DW190
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 19:26
Post #27

You have a copy of the s172 you failed to complete but you signed.

I cannot remember of my head what TVP forms are like but did the part you signed have written at the top of the box or anywhere else in the box "I was the driver".

If it did you may be stuffed.

Edited

I have now seen a TVP s172 form.  Are any of the boxex ticked at the top

Were you the driver    Yes []  No []

--------------------
DW190

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||

+Quote Post
nemo
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 19:45
Post #28

No, neither box was ticked.

The NIP was just dated, signed and endorsed with 'Please see attached witness statement...' Nothing more.

+Quote Post
DW190
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 19:54
Post #29

QUOTE (nemo)
No, neither box was ticked.

The NIP was just dated, signed and endorsed with 'Please see attached witness statement...' Nothing more.

In that case they have no identification of the driver without disclosure of the witness statement.

This is one for cjm99.

I'm sure he will say "NON DISCLOSURE = NOT ADMISSIBLE"

You should not enter the witness box under any circumstances.  Otherwise they could then ask you the question "Were you the driver"?

--------------------
DW190

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||

+Quote Post
nemo
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 19:59
Post #30

QUOTE (DW190)
In that case they have no identification of the driver without disclosure of the witness statement.

This is one for cjm99.

I'm sure he will say "NON DISCLOSURE = NOT ADMISSIBLE"

You should not enter the witness box under any circumstances.  Otherwise they could then ask you the question "Were you the driver"?

Thanks for the info DW190.

+Quote Post
smstextaddict
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 21:25
Post #31

Member No.: 3,002

Surely this is a non starter as today is 6 months and 1 day after the offence or am i missing something? :?

+Quote Post
nemo
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 21:34
Post #32

QUOTE (smstextaddict)
Surely this is a non starter as today is 6 months and 1 day after the offence or am i missing something? :?

Court summons within time.

+Quote Post
smstextaddict
post Wed, 25 May 2005 - 21:50
Post #33

Member No.: 3,002

sad.gif  ah right <walks off in shame> icon_redface.gif

+Quote Post
nemo
post Thu, 26 May 2005 - 07:59
Post #34

Had a night to sleep on this and there's one thing I am still not sure of regarding legal procedures, never having been in this situation before.

The summons has arrived with 'A Notice to Defendant - Proof by Documentary Evidence' summary. This lists the evidence that has been presented to the court by TVP (see previous post). This list does not include my PACE statement, without which I cannot see that they have any evidence against me.

When I plead not guilty by post and a new court date is set, will this current list of evidence be used or is it possible for TVP to make amendments with the inclusion of my PACE statement ?

Thanks all for your help so far. Nearly there !!

+Quote Post
DW190
post Thu, 26 May 2005 - 08:30
Post #35

QUOTE (nemo)
Had a night to sleep on this and there's one thing I am still not sure of regarding legal procedures, never having been in this situation before.

The summons has arrived with 'A Notice to Defendant - Proof by Documentary Evidence' summary. This lists the evidence that has been presented to the court by TVP (see previous post). This list does not include my PACE statement, without which I cannot see that they have any evidence against me.

When I plead not guilty by post and a new court date is set, will this current list of evidence be used or is it possible for TVP to make amendments with the inclusion of my PACE statement ?

Thanks all for your help so far. Nearly there !!

If you just enter a Not Guilty plea and nothing else the file will probably not be seen again until the morning of the hearing.  A new date will then be set.

--------------------
DW190

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||

+Quote Post
nemo
post Thu, 26 May 2005 - 08:48
Post #36

QUOTE (DW190)
If you just enter a Not Guilty plea and nothing else the file will probably not be seen again until the morning of the hearing.  A new date will then be set.

At which point they will probably realise the error and make sure it is amended before the new hearing ?

+Quote Post
DW190
post Thu, 26 May 2005 - 12:07
Post #37

QUOTE (nemo)
QUOTE (DW190)

At which point they will probably realise the error and make sure it is amended before the new hearing ?

My guess is they wont notice.

--------------------
DW190

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||

+Quote Post
cjm99
post Thu, 26 May 2005 - 13:04
Post #38

Member No.: 675

There is in effect nothing for them to notice.

The CPS will take possesion of the file. The file will contain all originals of the documents. As they will see it, the file looks and is complete. However, yours is fatally flawed and your 'bundle' is identical to the 'bundle' the Court Clerk has.. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nemo
post Thu, 26 May 2005 - 13:17
Post #39

QUOTE (cjm99)
There is in effect nothing for them to notice.

The CPS will take possesion of the file. The file will contain all originals of the documents. As they will see it, the file looks and is complete. However, yours is fatally flawed and your 'bundle' is identical to the 'bundle' the Court Clerk has.. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif  :D  :D

Fingers crossed. Updates to follow....

+Quote Post
nemo
post Tue, 31 May 2005 - 10:47
Post #40

Bu66er  sad.gif

In response to the title of this post - yup, I think I did shoot myself in the foot.

removed some specifics

I think I may have to take this one on the chin and put it down to experience.

The summons has not yet been sent back but I'm thinking of just pleading guilty and get it over and done with. I don't know if I have the fight in me to ask for full disclosure of the video evidence and run the risk of an even bigger fine than the one I am likely to get.

I am seriously pi55ed off now...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:25
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here