PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

M4 Roadworks
Korting
post Mon, 10 Feb 2020 - 15:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,524

The M4 between Junction 3 for Hayes and well past Reading, possibly as far as Newbury has ‘roadworks’ with a speed limit of 50MPH for the whole way, approx 40 miles.

It’s been like it for months, there doesn’t seem to be any work going on yet it’s heavily policed by cameras.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Most motorways seem to have miles of roadworks with the same or similar restrictions.

Is this really necessary or is it just another ruse to catch more speeding motorists.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Mon, 10 Feb 2020 - 15:09
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 10 Feb 2020 - 15:46
Post #2

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

"Smart" motorway construction, involving all the usual widening & signalling plus replacing a shed-load of bridges. Take a look at the massive temporary construction area that's been built just past J10 London-bound if you want to get an idea of how much this is costing - complete with it's own motorway-style slip roads.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Tartarus
post Wed, 12 Feb 2020 - 16:59
Post #3

Member No.: 76,324

Or the section of the M23 between the M25 and Gatwick. In the missus' words "they've spoiled that part of the motorway now!"

+Quote Post
Petraki
post Wed, 19 Feb 2020 - 14:40
Post #4

Member No.: 106,127

So what now that the government have put all smart motorway construction on hold? If they decide to scrap the scheme I wonder what they will do with the M4. Typically I commute from Reading to London every day and back and the 50MPH limit makes it rather unpleasant.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Wed, 19 Feb 2020 - 15:24
Post #5

Member No.: 5,183

Not sure unpleasant is the word I would use, restricting the speed of traffic to 50MPH seems to make the flow more even, i.e. less stop/start. That is until there is a breakdown and then everything stops.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Wed, 19 Feb 2020 - 16:38
Post #6

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Petraki @ Wed, 19 Feb 2020 - 14:40) *
So what now that the government have put all smart motorway construction on hold?

They haven't - they've said that new smart motorway sections won't be activated while a review is taking place, but as you've presumably noticed if you use the M4 regularly, construction continues.

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Wed, 19 Feb 2020 - 15:24) *
Not sure unpleasant is the word I would use, restricting the speed of traffic to 50MPH seems to make the flow more even, i.e. less stop/start.

Personally I've found that the reduced speed limits help traffic flow immeasurably during peak congested periods - far less brake-stop-start-accelerate-rinse-repeat nonsense than without the lower limit in those circumstances.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Mortimer
post Wed, 19 Feb 2020 - 16:43
Post #7

Member No.: 21,892

I live in Crawley and commute up and down the M23 between J10 and the M25 every day.
Since the 50mph average speed restriction went in, there has been far fewer occasions of the north bound carriageway coming to a complete stand still.
I think this is primarily because rather than three lanes of motorway traffic arriving at a 60mph slip onto the M25 there is now three lanes of 50mph traffic, allowing the M23/M25 junction a chance to clear and keep moving.
I don't think it would be all that bad a thing to see 50mph being the norm during busy times with 60 or 70 being allowed at less busy times.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:13
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here