Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Careless Driving Notice - car park scrape
Dave18
post Wed, 14 Feb 2018 - 18:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,294

Hello,

I received a letter before Christmas to say my car had been reported to the police under careless driving, for not stopping at the scene of an accident. The incident is alleged to have taken place in a supermarket carpark.
My fiancé would have been driving at this time commuting back from work but has never visited the shops let alone the carpark where the incident is supposed to have occurred.

She has attended the police station with a solicitor to give her whereabouts at this time, normal driving pattern etc. We've also had our insurer assess our car and found no damage. The eyewitness gave our registration number but the description doesn't match her at all.

She is attending the police station again tomorrow as they have 'photographic' evidence now. How do people suggest we proceed? Especially if photos are vague?

This post has been edited by Dave18: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 - 18:59
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 25)
Advertisement
post Wed, 14 Feb 2018 - 18:58
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 13 Jul 2018 - 11:53
Post #21

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Fri, 13 Jul 2018 - 03:07) *
Do they still conduct ID Parades in that way...I remember years ago being being stopped in Glasgow near a Cop Shop and asked if I'd be available to take part in a parade but I couldnt do it as I was working. Dont they use images of the suspect and other similar looking persons now instead of dragging folk in off the street.... I'm sure I saw that on telly.

http://www.viper.police.uk/

--------------------
I am not on the "motorists's side", nor am I on the "police/CPS/council's" side, I am simply in favour of the rule of law.

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Fri, 13 Jul 2018 - 15:50
Post #22

Member No.: 1,326

I'm surprised the police even go to the bother of investigating car park scrapes, let alone identity parades. When my car was vandalised 2 years ago they didn't want to know.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Sat, 14 Jul 2018 - 06:40
Post #23

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Fri, 13 Jul 2018 - 16:50) *
I'm surprised the police even go to the bother of investigating car park scrapes, let alone identity parades. When my car was vandalised 2 years ago they didn't want to know.

It depends on the police force. The Met couldn't care less but as I know from bitter experience small rural forces with nothing better to do will often initiate proceedings for careless driving with a simple car park scrape.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
Mayhem007
post Sat, 14 Jul 2018 - 09:05
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 23,903

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Fri, 13 Jul 2018 - 15:50) *

Its just not car park scrapes the alleged offences are a bit more severe in that you are normally charged with 3 counts
1. Leaving the scene of an accident
2. Not reporting the accident to the police within 24 hours
and
3. Driving without due care and attention

Given Southpaws reply, the OP might want to use the information in my post to his solicitor, not that it is binding in any way. However, your solicitor may be able to use the info as a good argument for your defence.

--------------------
STAND UP FOR YOURSELF OR YOU WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING

Ultracrepadarion - A person who offers an opinion on a subject they know nothing about.

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Sat, 14 Jul 2018 - 11:03
Post #25

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (Mayhem007 @ Sat, 14 Jul 2018 - 10:05) *
Its just not car park scrapes the alleged offences are a bit more severe in that you are normally charged with 3 counts
1. Leaving the scene of an accident
2. Not reporting the accident to the police within 24 hours
and
3. Driving without due care and attention

Yes and numbers one and two carry a maximum sentence of six months' custody (two of the comparatively few motoring offences which can attract custody). Never a remote possibility in these circumstances, but nonetheless the offences carry a minimum of five points

+Quote Post
skidder
post Sun, 15 Jul 2018 - 20:56
Post #26

Member No.: 16,382

QUOTE (Spinstorm @ Thu, 15 Feb 2018 - 22:20) *
You can charge your phone in your car very easily.

Location services can also be turned off for certain apps but honestly unless your wife literally makes phone calls all day long then the only reason not to have location on to save battery is because she doesn’t charge the phone reguarely and properly.

Sometimes like my old phone no matter how often you charge it the battery dies very quickly. It's normally a new battery that's needed that sometimes is not easy to replace.(iphones). Some people don't want location services on. It's a personal preference. I think you presumed way too quickly.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 19th July 2018 - 05:34
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.