PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lowered speed limit for rural roads, Thought last Government's proposal bad enough
Gan
post Fri, 13 Jul 2012 - 23:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,239

Proposal to reduce many rural speed limits to 40 mph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9...mph-limits.html#

Something about a response to an extra 60 road deaths last year (five extra per month)

I notice that a report came out yesterday that basic mistakes by doctors kill 1000 patients / month.

Seems a strange sense of priorities
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Fri, 13 Jul 2012 - 23:29
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 00:12
Post #2

Member No.: 22,424

Frankly 5 deaths a month could be caused by such a stupid new rule. If you manipulate the stats well enough...

+Quote Post
sgtdixie
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 03:53
Post #3

Member No.: 46,399

“40mph limits should be considered for sections of rural roads where there are many bends, junctions or accesses and speeds are already at 40mph or below.”

In my experience these sorts of roads are not the problem. It is the NSL roads where speeds much higher than 60 are easy which catch out bad drivers.

I am sure councils etc think they are helping with these changes but frankly they aren't.

+Quote Post
buttonpusher
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 07:32
Post #4

Member No.: 11,066

I have met lots of mums driving their chelsea tractors at more than the 40, on bends, banks on both sides and them not able/willing to get their tyres dirty. I am probably in the minority here but I actually think that roads not wide enough for a white line should be down to 30.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 07:39
Post #5

Member No.: 9,683

Do they honestly think reducing rural speeds to 40 will reduce the death rate? How will they enforce it? Speed cameras in the hedgerows? Where is the money to pay for the enforcement?

In my experience, a lot of rural accidents happen "during hours of darkness", usually after closing time. there are 4 police units in Shepway to patrol some 2000 miles of rural lanes, so the chance of getting done for DD is very remote. The chances of BiB catching a wrongdoer are remote. A minor fracas outside a pub vanishes before th BiB get there, not criticising the police, just stating facts to reinforce the point that the 40 limit would be unenforceable.

+Quote Post
Monster 900
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 08:03
Post #6

Member No.: 8,984

Near here there was a fatal accident on an NSL road. The Police estimated the speed of the crash to be ~80 mph. The council solution was to reduce the speed limit to 40 mph.

About 18 months later there was another fatal accident at the same spot under similar circumstances. This time the Police estimated the speed of the crash to be ~90 mph.

Needless to say the speed limit on that section of road is now 30 mph.

--------------------
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Links :- 1. NIP Wizard, 2. Speeding - Likely penalty calculator, 3. How to deal with PPC tickets.

+Quote Post
Gan
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 08:08
Post #7

I become less alert if I'm driving at low speeds for long periods.

Will have to rely on the increased noise of intermediate gears to stay awake

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 08:14
Post #8

Member No.: 10,873

QUOTE (Monster 900 @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 09:03) *
Near here there was a fatal accident on an NSL road. The Police estimated the speed of the crash to be ~80 mph. The council solution was to reduce the speed limit to 40 mph.

About 18 months later there was another fatal accident at the same spot under similar circumstances. This time the Police estimated the speed of the crash to be ~90 mph.

On both occasions whatever was wrote on the signs was ignored so now they think that a 30 sign has some secret powers that the 40 didnt?

Its any excuse to shag up the roads now,PPM technology cant be too far away now.

As they say they have seen a rise in deaths, which is despite all hundreds of speed limits being lowered and growing numbers of bribed drivers attending so called speed awareness courses,its quite obvious to anyone not earning money from it that where the needle points is not the problem and never has been.

+Quote Post
Atomic Tomato
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 08:41
Post #9

Member No.: 6,356

Most of the country roads round here seem to have 40 limits. Its a right pain when you get stuck behind someone actually obeying them.

+Quote Post
Gan
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 09:08
Post #10

A village near me with a 30 mph limit collected five fatal accidents.

Three of them involved hitting trees on obviously tight bends. Two involved the same tree and police pursuits

One was a motorcyclist doing 80 who hit a car coming out of a junction.

The last one was a tree on a perfectly straight road leaving the village

Nothing to do with speed limits, just reckless and incompetent

+Quote Post
sgtdixie
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 09:20
Post #11

Member No.: 46,399

its quite obvious to anyone not earning money from it that where the needle points is not the problem and never has been

From what has been posted here that is frankly bollocks.

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 09:35
Post #12

Member No.: 10,873

QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 10:20) *
its quite obvious to anyone not earning money from it that where the needle points is not the problem and never has been

From what has been posted here that is frankly bollocks.

I dont go by whats posted on here,i look out of my vehicle windows.You should try it!

+Quote Post
emanresu
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 13:00
Post #13

Member No.: 13,324

Having recently had the pleasure of being shunted from behind (so to speak!) in broad daylight on a rural road 50 ft passed a sign that said 50. Another sign that said slow. Another sign that said horses. Another sign that said sharp bend. IMHO it not the limit or the enforcement of it, its plain stupidity of drivers in their bubble.

If for example no claims bonuses were withdrawn and the cost of the now compulsory insurance was suddenly much higher, the additional cost / loss of car might have a few more thinking about what they are doing.

Mind you having come into the south only recently, I can honestly say the quality of driving skill (outside London) is s**t. I now have a very large 4x4 so when the next shunt happens I'll have more chance of surviving the farmers here.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 14:37
Post #14

Member No.: 9,683

Like my local county councillor who wants to drop a current NSL main road to 50 for the last mile into town. On the junction just before town it's an accident black spot. But, she doesn't want to drop the NSL on the adjoining road, and the main road is going into sharp bends which you have problems going round at 40, so making it 50 in my view is a waste of money, but then that's what councillors do.

<rant mode off>

BTW it's the A259 at Hammonds Corner, just east of New romney where the road from Lydd joins.

+Quote Post
justforthepictur...
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 19:19
Post #15

Member No.: 40,004

QUOTE (Gan @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 10:08) *

A village near me with a 30 mph limit collected five fatal accidents.

Three of them involved hitting trees on obviously tight bends. Two involved the same tree and police pursuits

One was a motorcyclist doing 80 who hit a car coming out of a junction.

Why didn't they stop then before they hit something?

QUOTE (roythebus @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 08:39) *
Where is the money to pay for the enforcement?

In the pockets of those detected.

--------------------
'Speed Kills' simply means, hit something or someone fast enough and it will result in a fatality.

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 20:12
Post #16

Member No.: 54,455

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that with councils ruthlessly reducing limits on main A roads people are not bothering to use them, because there is no longer any time advantage. It is far worse on weekdays with trucks at 40 mph.
Derby CC have reduced almost all A roads to 50 now, and no, they are not all bendy ones either. As I see it, the problem with giving councils 'carte blanche' will be all unclassified roads will be reduced even if the last accident was in 1929.

Around here there are rural roads safe at 50, and those unsafe even at 40, and almost all drivers know the difference. We need to concentrate on those drivers who wilfully drive recklessly, and not penalise safe drivers. I would certainly agree with 50 mph blanket, but 40mph should only be on sections that need it, however. I also think trucks should be allowed to go at 50mph on good quality A roads. Not all, obviously, but there are long stretches where this would be reasonable, and allow everybody to make reasonable progress, and reduce the temptation to overtake.

+Quote Post
WageSlave
post Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 20:46
Post #17

Member No.: 49,581

QUOTE (Gan @ Sat, 14 Jul 2012 - 10:08) *
Three of them involved hitting trees . . . .

Seems to me that it must be those fekkin trees that are killing people where you are.

What has the government done to stop the carnage caused by these vicious, murderous, woody bast@rds?

I think we should be told . . . .

+Quote Post
ssfoe
post Sun, 15 Jul 2012 - 01:54
Post #18

Member No.: 26,027

My local council has dropped the limit from 60 to 50 and it makes no odds, we all just drive to the road conditions.

+Quote Post
Hotel Oscar 87
post Sun, 15 Jul 2012 - 12:43
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 7,833

For those of us who live in rural areas with only single-carriageway roads to get around on the overwhelming urban-centric view, both here and within those bodies that make decisions about where and how we travel, is rather obvious.

Rural roads tend to twist and turn; surfaces vary; animals have a habit of intruding from time to time and on occasion the undergrowth can be a little close. It would seem that I have been under the complete misapprehension that we were all taught to drive to the conditions. Clearly I was utterly wrong.

The worst things that happened to rural roads were the advent of the car heater, the stereo, the Satnav and 4x4's driven by imbeciles. The word "bubble" has been used to describe the way in which some people act because they are so detached from the driving experience that they might as well be on their PS3, or whatever.

And God of everything that is good and holy protect us from the suburban female let loose with a 4x4. I'd be reluctant to let most of them loose with a shopping trolley let alone a 2-tonne, 3-litre beastie. The problem is that these machines create the ultimate "bubble". Make the b*ggers drive Nissan Micras, I say. The streets would be far less congested and safer as a result.

Then the softie, liberal, pinko, bean-counting f*ckwits sitting in our county halls would have less to worry about. Then of course they'd start extracting all the salt, sugar, and flavour from our foods because collectively they once caused blindness in a rare breed of mouse. FFS, life is a fatal disease and its good to have a bit of fun on the way without being bossed around by these spineless d*cks who really just want us to wait in line for the last swing of the scythe.

--------------------
“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a tu.rd by the clean end.” - R.J. Wiedemann, Lt. Col. USMC Ret.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sun, 15 Jul 2012 - 12:53
Post #20

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (Hotel Oscar 87 @ Sun, 15 Jul 2012 - 13:43) *
And God of everything that is good and holy protect us from the suburban female let loose with a 4x4. I'd be reluctant to let most of them loose with a shopping trolley let alone a 2-tonne, 3-litre beastie. The problem is that these machines create the ultimate "bubble". Make the b*ggers drive Nissan Micras, I say. The streets would be far less congested and safer as a result.

Men with sufficient disposable income and wives who ought not to be allowed on the road often seem to take the view that when their wife invariably causes an accident they wish their offspring to be safely cocooned in the biggest tank they can find. If as a result of this, some poorer man's offspring are killed, it just a variation on Darwin's natural selection.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 15:48
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here