PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Totting up, Exceptional Hardship
madamcng
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,654

I am facing a court appearance for totting.

On 9 points and just got flashed.

I have heard that dependants is the best EH defence?

Has anyone had experience of this type of defence and what was the outcome
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:52
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 14:57
Post #2

Member No.: 317

We have a lot of similar enquiries, DVLA data suggests that circa 25% of people getting to 12 or more points avoid a totting ban via an EH plea.

Hardship has to be exceptional (at least in the eyes of a magistrate) and yes the effect on dependants will obviously sway them more as they are innocent victims.

You say you are on 9 points, is that all accumulated within the three years before this offence date (points count for totting for three years but stay on your licence for four).

What speed/limit? Are you eligible for an awareness course in other words (England and Wales, not Scotland/NI)?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:02
Post #3

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (madamcng @ Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:52) *
I have heard that dependants is the best EH defence?

Has anyone had experience of this type of defence and what was the outcome

It's not a defence. It's an exceptional hardship argument. There isn't a "best" or "worse" argument. There is only an argument based on your own circumstances.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:03
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

It’s a plea and not a defence. (A defence would be for a not guilty plea to the offence itself)

Not a lot you can do right now until any NIP arrives other than think about a plea. The impact on others carried more weight but losing a job (if that’s the case), in itself, won’t necessarily amount to exceptional. The ban is 6 months and can be reduced with a successful plea - potentially to none.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:04

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
madamcng
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:16
Post #5

Member No.: 99,654

Thanks all.

I understand the plea point

I have the NIP already, 49 in 40. Previously got 3 SP 30's over a 3 month period 2 years ago and have been on a driver awareness course 2 years ago.

Not disputing the points, just frustrated.

My case is four elderly dependent non driving parents who I have to run around and 1 dependent child. I won't be bale to carry out my part time job, but as you say, thats a weak plea. Also my wife has cancer treatment twice a month which would be quite uncomfortable for her travelling in a taxi!!

This post has been edited by madamcng: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:17

+Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:21
Post #6

Member No.: 37,614

QUOTE (madamcng @ Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 16:16) *
My case is four elderly dependent non driving parents who I have to run around and 1 dependent child. I won't be bale to carry out my part time job, but as you say, thats a weak plea. Also my wife has cancer treatment twice a month which would be quite uncomfortable for her travelling in a taxi!!

That has the makings of an EH argument - but be prepared for tough questions about transport alternatives. Best advice is usually to be polite, dress smart and present the argument yourself if you can ( tends to come across better from you, than from a solicitor).

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:46
Post #7

Member No.: 23,623

Also bear in mind two things:

1. If you are unsuccessful you will be banned and the ban starts immediately. So don't drive to court.

2. If you are successful you leave the court with twelve points on your licence. You will be liable to a "totting" ban again if you receive any further points before six of them have become inactive (which is three years after the offence date). You cannot use the same reasons for an EH plea within three years of this one. If you have a number of factors which you believe will impose EH it may be wise to keep some in reserve in case you are unlucky enough to fall foul again. But it's a fine line between wanting to put forward the strongest EH argument you can and keeping some of your powder dry.

This post has been edited by NewJudge: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 15:47

+Quote Post
Logician
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 19:23
Post #8

Member No.: 36,528

QUOTE (madamcng @ Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 16:16) *

You will have to explain why you have to run them around, eg why they could not get taxis, have groceries delivered and so on, and why your wife would be uncomfortable in a car which is a taxi, but OK in a car driven by you. Losing your job has more significance if your household finances are such that your wife might face losing her home. You need to think of all the questions that might arise from your description of your circumstances and how you might answer them. You might find it helpful to write out what you would say, so that you are less likely to forget things. you could either read this out or ask the magistrates to read it for themselves. If you do that take 5 additional copies, one for each magistrate, one for their legal advisor and one for the prosecutor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 31 Aug 2018 - 21:48
Post #9

Member No.: 90,659

If you think it is weak then you are probably right.

Most people who go for EH pleas do it because their licence is really valuable to them and it would exceptionally inconvenience those around them if they were to lose it. Almost all drivers have family who they ferry around, but they aren't all exceptional.

The pointers you have above are a good start if you do look at EH.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 04:24
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here