Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Fixed Penalty driving without insurance. Car Reg doesn't exist
Jaimeufu
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 14:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,928

Hey all need some advice

Got pulled last week, driving with insurance, seized the car, collected next day. Received my Penatly. The car registration is completely OFF. Mine is VN14 XWW, the one on the Fixed Penalty is UN14 XWQ. I checked the car doesnt exsist.

I will attach a photo of the penalty, any advice greatly appreciated. I know its a absolute offence, My direct debit bounced. So I wasnt covered. But they cant do me for driving without insurance for a car that doesnt exsist?

Do I take to court?

Regards

Mr Evans

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 14:57
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:04
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

The 'error' on the fixed penalty does not constitute a defence to the charge.

If you do not 'accept' the fixed penalty then a court would look at the facts and not what's on it.

QUOTE (Jaimeufu @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 14:57) *
My direct debit bounced. So I wasnt covered.

What did the insurer do, what notification did you receive?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Jaimeufu
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:41
Post #3

Member No.: 96,928

Nothing, apparently the police said sometimes it goes to spam and auto-deletes, I tried finding some notifcation but couldnt. But surely the charge is "null" as vehicle doesnt exsist. Or just a typo?

Regards

+Quote Post
Stoofa
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:56
Post #4

Member No.: 45,072

To be fair the registration isn't "completely off"
A U & V mistake can be made very easily and with the W & Q keys being next to each other on the keyboard, you can see how the second mistake was made.
Of course in an ideal world proper care and attention would be taken - but I guess there are always going to be typos when so many registration plates are entered daily.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:58
Post #5

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (Jaimeufu @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 15:41) *
Nothing, apparently the police said sometimes it goes to spam and auto-deletes, I tried finding some notifcation but couldnt. But surely the charge is "null" as vehicle doesnt exsist. Or just a typo?

Regards

So have you not bothered to contact your insurers ...That would have been my first route to find out exactly what they sent out and by what means , ..Have you had your insurance reinstated since -doesnt seem like it ....you could have paid the instalment by some other means and you might find they would cover you for the period involved . As for the missing email what mail provider do you use ....if it's a webbased provider like GMail there are always copies held on gmail.com

This post has been edited by StuartBu: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 16:00

+Quote Post
Logician
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 16:44
Post #6

Member No.: 36,528

You either accept the fixed penalty or it goes to court. You will be charged with driving a vehicle that was not insured, and they may get that number wrong again. But if you plead not guilty the officer(s) who stopped you will attend court, and apologise for the error but confirm that the car you were in was checked and found to be uninsured. So you are still likely to be found guilty, which as you acknowledge you were.

This is the problem with paying for insurance by instalments and many people are caught out by it. Far better if you can to pay the annual premium on a credit card, if the payment to the card company bounces they will write a nasty letter but your insurance is still valid. The 6 points from this offence is unfortunately going to make your premium rather heavier for the next few years.

This post has been edited by Logician: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 16:44

--------------------

+Quote Post
samthecat
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 16:44
Post #7

Member No.: 83,881

+1 for speaking with your insurance company, are you now paid up and covered by them again? If so will they provide you with written confirmation you would have been covered at the time of the stop, it's worth checking.

If you intend to defend the charge based on the VRM being incorrect you are likely to be disappointed, the first time you mention the fact it can be corrected.

--------------------
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

+Quote Post
iwt
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 19:45
Post #8

Member No.: 38,890

I'd be looking at complaining to the insurance company, threatening them with taking them to the financial services ombudsman if they won't confirm that you were covered at the time.
Because a no insurance endorsement can double premiums for 5 years.
If they confirm you were covered at the time, get it in writing, reject the fixed penalty and send a copy...
So, OK, the direct debit bounced; they should've notified you in advance and probably given you the opportunity to fix the issue.
So what to their terms say about bounced direct debits? What sort of notice and in what form should it be delivered?
Email can be unreliable, and Interpretations Act applies to posted notices; so do the insurance company have your correct address, and did they post it out?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 20:10
Post #9

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (iwt @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 19:45) *
Interpretations Act applies to posted notices

It applies to any document authorised or required by an Act to be served by post, not all post. Does an Act authorise or require a cancellation notice for a motor insurance policy to be sent by post?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 20:35
Post #10

Member No.: 14,720

I'd be looking at complaining to the insurance company, threatening them with taking them to the financial services ombudsman if they won't confirm that you were covered at the time.

How can you say that when you haven't bothered finding out any details?

QUOTE (Jaimeufu @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 14:57) *
My direct debit bounced.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Logician
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 22:01
Post #11

Member No.: 36,528

Insurance companies claim to give seven days notice of failed payments as an industry standard. Many people claim not to receive them, no doubt the police were referring to this notice going into spam etc. I very much doubt the ombudsman is going to help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 22:38
Post #12

QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 20:35) *

That bit you quoted wasnt posted by OP!!!

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 22:40
Post #13

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 22:38) *

I quoted two posts, one from OP, and one from iwt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 23:17
Post #14

QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 22:40) *

Right I see what you were getting at now . Seems that OP hasnt bothered finding out any details either .... theres a lot missing to OPs side of events re the DD being declined and how insurers acted afterwards.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 23:22
Post #15

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 23:17) *
QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 8 Mar 2018 - 22:40) *

Right I see what you were getting at now . Seems that OP hasnt bothered finding out any details either .... theres a lot missing to OPs side of events re the DD being declined and how insurers acted afterwards.

I agree with you. DD could have bounced months ago for all we know.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here