PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

School-run drivers in Somerset 'targeted with nails in road'
stamfordman
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 10:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,924

Police are investigating claims that nails and screws are being glued upright in a road to stop parents on the school run parking in a quiet cul-de-sac.

It is claimed that car drivers who use a street in Somerset to park while they drop their children at a primary school are being targeted. Police say they are treating it as criminal damage.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/ju...h-nails-in-road
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 34)
Advertisement
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 10:40
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 17:01
Post #21

Member No.: 90,659

BMI calculations are the same if someone is 7, 17 or 57.

It doesn't especially matter if you get heavier as you get older as long as your BMI remains within the healthy range. But I think the idea that people inevitably get heavier with age is false.

--------------------
My username is notmeatloaf because I'm not made of meat loaf. I hope that clarifies things.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 17:16
Post #22

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 18:01) *

It doesn't especially matter if you get heavier as you get older as long as your BMI remains within the healthy range.

BMI is, to be generous, a rule of thumb. More candidly, it's potentially dangerous crap. I dieted like crazy when I was about 30 to try to get down from the "overweight" range to "healthy" - one of my colleagues later told me that they'd thought I'd got AIDS! It's a blunt instrument that takes no account of build and musculature.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 18:39
Post #23

Member No.: 1,326

QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 22:20) *
I walked pretty much all the time, and on the rare occasion I did get a lift, I was dropped streets away and made to walk- no matter the weather.

I used to have to walk to school over a mile alongside the A3 when I was at Junior School. At secondary school we had a school coach because the nearest school in the county was 5 miles away, but still walked back sometimes if we missed it.

We also used to have to get up at 3 in the morning and lick the road clean with our tongues, eat a handful of hot gravel, work 18 hours day in day out down mill for tuppence a month.. etc...

+Quote Post
henrik777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 19:20
Post #24

Member No.: 24,123

It doesn't especially matter if you get heavier as you get older as long as your BMI remains within the healthy range. But I think the idea that people inevitably get heavier with age is false.

Do you know anyone who went from 7 to 17 and didn't get heavier ?

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 20:17
Post #25

QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 18:16) *
BMI is, to be generous, a rule of thumb. More candidly, it's potentially dangerous crap. I dieted like crazy when I was about 30 to try to get down from the "overweight" range to "healthy" - one of my colleagues later told me that they'd thought I'd got AIDS! It's a blunt instrument that takes no account of build and musculature.

Ridiculous. BMI is of course a blunt tool, but it gives an simple to understand guide to where you are roughly. Otherwise how would you do it, just take a guess?

Of course there will be people it doesn't work for - but seeing as there aren't the resources to give everyone a medical body fat analysis every week it is something available to anyone with a calculator or chart and monitor their progress.

If being 25 BMI made you look malnourished you must be 2m tall and wrestle for a living. So I'm not going to argue any more.

If anyone is in extremes you can do what medics tend to do and calculate with an exponent of 2.5, which irons out BMI overreading if you are tall or underreading if you are short.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 20:20

--------------------
My username is notmeatloaf because I'm not made of meat loaf. I hope that clarifies things.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 22:52
Post #26

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Fredd @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 18:16) *

It doesn't especially matter if you get heavier as you get older as long as your BMI remains within the healthy range.

We had one of those letters after a school medical check advising that my (at time) 12 year old daughter was overweight against her BMI.
Tossed it into bin.
At the time she was either dancing, gymnastics or trampolining virtually every night, not an ounce of fat on her.
Just plenty of muscle, was actually one of the heaviest kids in her class at school, by no means the tallest.

BMI is simply a quick check but anyone with a brain and reasonable vision could be just as accurate in spotting overweight people.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 10:40
Post #27

BMI doesn't work if you are very fit. It is fairly stupid IMO to be sending out letters without double checking it with some sort of fat analysis or waist measurement.

But arguably it isn't really aimed at people who are very fit. It's aimed at people who aren't fit.

It's like the NHS recommendation to do 150 minutes of exercise a week. I do several times that, but I am astute enough to know that that number isn't really aimed at me and I shouldn't massively cut back on exercise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 10:50
Post #28

Member No.: 317

BMI is fatally flawed before you even start, it uses height squared when volume (and hence weight) would be related to height cubed. So you start with a massive cock up and then increase the errors with further assumptions from there. It was a good idea, shame they didn't employ anyone with any common sense when they started!

At every annual medical I'm told my BMI puts me in the overweight category, yet wearing 32" waist trousers at 5'9 1/2" makes a mockery of that, its muscle mass that puts me over.

150 minutes...I'd have to cut out the other 300 then!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 13:18
Post #29

But again you are much more active than a normal person. We know muscle is heavier than fat, and therefore your BMI will always overread.

However, it would be impossible to create a measurement which fits people at every extreme. However, it provides a useful indication for most people, using measurements they can easily and accurately measure at home.

Saying it is unreliable is like eschewing the good because it's not perfect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 14:02
Post #30

I realise the caveats and agree, but at least don't start with the gross error of not understanding volume!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Tartarus
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 14:21
Post #31

Member No.: 76,324

Although to be fair, unless you are Queen Victoria, your third dimension Z (stomach protrudance) isn't going to be anywhere near your height...

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 11:29
Post #32

QUOTE (Tartarus @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 15:21) *
Although to be fair, unless you are Queen Victoria, your third dimension Z (stomach protrudance) isn't going to be anywhere near your height...

No, but it will likely be proportional, same as your width is, hence why height cubed was the sensible parameter.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 12:28
Post #33

You can put whatever exponent in as long as you correct it. I think most people think around 2.5 is correct as you don't actually get a wider head if you are taller.

Mass รท Height ^ 2.5 x 1.3

--------------------

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 15:50
Post #34

Member No.: 21,992

Unless you're Harry Maguire.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 17:07
Post #35

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 23:52) *
BMI is simply a quick check but anyone with a brain and reasonable vision could be just as accurate in spotting overweight people.

Your GP probably has both, but does he ever have time to look away from his PC screen?

In the "old days" the doctor would walk to the waiting room door, summon the patient, and observe him/her getting up and walking/waddling/hobbling to the consulting room.

This is a practice still followed by many private GPs and consultants in my experience, where time pressures are less.

An example of unintended consequences of (apparently) improved efficiency.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 22nd July 2018 - 12:34
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.