PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

No seatbelt fine & insurance question.
Melchett
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 11:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,502

Hi guys, I've recently been fined for not wearing a seatbelt (don't ask)

As my insurance is due for renewal I declared it & my premium increased a little but then I got to wondering...

As there are no penalty points for this offence would the insurance co find out if I'd said nothing?

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 11:29
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 11:56
Post #2

Member No.: 59,097

What do the policy conditions say about declaring such things. You don't want to be in a situation where you didn't tell them when you should have and it causes problems in the event of a claim....
Also it is not a FINE.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 12:43
Post #3

Member No.: 317

It could be a fine if it went to court?

The insurance company may not find out, but if they did it could make life very difficult, worse still now they know if you didn’t still declare it it could get stickier still.

Is the small increase you are paying worth saving for the potential aggravation?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 13:11
Post #4

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 13:43) *
It could be a fine if it went to court?

Yeah Yeah of course it could but in the absence of any mention of " Court" I took it to be a FP.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 13:25
Post #5

Member No.: 90,659

Simple answer is they are unlikely to find out - except you've presumably now done a quote in your name with the conviction on. It wouldn't be amazingly hard for fraud software to flag that up.

If they then cancel your insurance you will need to declare it on future policies in theory for life. That could add up to a lot.

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 14:15
Post #6

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 14:25) *
Simple answer is they are unlikely to find out - except you've presumably now done a quote in your name with the conviction on. It wouldn't be amazingly hard for fraud software to flag that up.

If they then cancel your insurance you will need to declare it on future policies in theory for life. That could add up to a lot.

They way I read the OP was that he HAD declared it hence the premium increase and not , as you suggest, just got a new quote

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 14:36
Post #7

QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 15:15) *
They way I read the OP was that he HAD declared it hence the premium increase and not , as you suggest, just got a new quote

Correct, I've already declared it &, as the revised premium is still ok, I will be staying with them.

All I wanted to know was if I hadn't said anything how could they have found out? Is it recorded somewhere insurance co's have access too?

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 15:06
Post #8

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Melchett @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 15:36) *
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 15:15) *

Correct, I've already declared it &, as the revised premium is still ok, I will be staying with them.

All I wanted to know was if I hadn't said anything how could they have found out? Is it recorded somewhere insurance co's have access too?

Dunno. Many are asking for driving licence number now when quoting but whether offence records are accessible to them ?
Trouble is that you have to assume they can access or will find out another way, not doing so could bring all sorts of nasties.
I'd rather not have to tick the box that asks if you have ever had insurance cancelled for want of ticking one about convictions or accidents.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 17:40
Post #9

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (Melchett @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 15:36) *

I take it you’re making a purely hypothetical question, as not declaring it if asked would be fraud - so it has to be declared whether you’d be found out or not.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 18:07
Post #10

Member No.: 60,602

I just got a quote from LV= (Liverpool Victoria as was) & was asked about accidents but nothing at all about convictions. They just asked for my driving licence number so presumably could details about endorsements but certainly not anything except convictions e.g. SAC or FPN.

This post has been edited by nigelbb: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 20:20

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 18:38
Post #11

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sat, 28 Jul 2018 - 18:40) *
I take it you’re making a purely hypothetical question, as not declaring it if asked would be fraud - so it has to be declared whether you’d be found out or not.

That kind of sums it up, if I hadn't declared it & it not being an endorseable offence can they find out, is there a record on my licence they can check?

It's too late now to really matter as I have declared it & it made a few quid difference... I was just wondering!

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 16:45
Post #12

Ok then, I was expecting a COFP & £100 (no points) which I would have accepted as I was guilty, that's why I informed my insurance co.

I haven't had a COFP, today I've received a SJPN pack for not wearing a seatbelt.

I've checked the NIP copy they sent & I gave my licence number, signed & dated it but (genuine mistake) didn't enter my DOB, is this why they've skipped the COFP?
If so I think it's a bit harsh given that they have all they need from my driving licence & the SJPN has my DOB at the top of the pages.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 17:12
Post #13

Technically under S75 of the RTOA 1988 if you pay a non-endorsable fixed penalty within 28 days then they must not bring any proceedings against you. It seems if you have provided your driving licence then they have all the details they could possibly need.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/5...ales/1995-02-03

If you are sure you have complied - especially that you paid as instructed - then it would be worth emailing, or finding out the email address, of the police officer in charge of the camera unit. Point out you have complied with your obligations under S75/S76 and you believe proceedings are being mistakenly brought.

If it goes to court then you can ask them to sentence at fixed penalty rates or for the case to be dismissed on the basis the police have initiated proceedings when they are prohibited from doing so. But worth trying the less hassle version first.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 17:13

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 17:47
Post #14

I haven't paid because I haven't had an offer of a fixed penalty, all I've had is a NIP which I filled in (minus my DOB) & posted back on 16 july.

This is the first thing I've received since. They've skipped the fixed penalty offer!

This post has been edited by Melchett: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 17:55

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 19:27
Post #15

Is the only charge the seatbelt, not failing to identify the driver (S172)? Did you include any letter or additional information.

If there is only seatbelt you would have to ask the camera office what happened, it is very unusual without aggravating factors like disputing the offence.

If there is S172 as well them for whatever reason they have not accepted your nomination. Rejecting it for no dob would seem pedantic but quite likely a fixed penalty clerk role attracts incessant pedants.

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 19:52
Post #16

The only offence is "drove a motor vehicle on a road whilst not wearing a seatbelt in conformity with regulation 5(1)(a)of the motor vehicles regulations 1993" so yes, the only charge is the seatbelt.

Time line taken from the witness statement in the SJPN.... it was a works vehicle.

The original NIP was issued to the registered keeper at the time of the offence, this being xxxxxx on 3rd July

On 10 July the NIP was returned to the office. The NIP had not been signed or dated but nominated driver details had been completed.

On 12 July a NIP was issued to Mr xxxxxxx (nominated driver)

On 18 July the NIP was returned to the office.

The returned NIP had been signed and name printed & dated 16 July. xxxxxx admitted he was the driver at the time of the offence. He provided his
driving licence number of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx but no date of birth.

I have used the DVLA driving licence database to look at the licence image issued to xxxxxxxx at the same address I noticed that the driver matched the image on the licence

Now the only other thing I can think of is that I was driving a 7.5 tonne vehicle at the time, would this make any difference?

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 20:10
Post #17

Just read through it again & found this from witness statement from the safer roads partnership administrative officer.....

From information received a further s172 request for driver details was sent to Mr xxxxxxxx by Royal mail first class post. I produce marked exhibit B a copy of that request.

The above form was subsequently returned and purports to be a signed admission, that the person to whom it was addressed, was the driver at the time of the offence.

Due to the circumstances the matter will have to be placed before the courts

What circumstances?

This post has been edited by Melchett: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 20:11

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 21:17
Post #18

Basically, you are required to give information requested by the police in a S172.

They have requested your date of birth. You haven't provided it. Therefore they are, one can only imagine, saying they cannot be sure that the person on the form and the person on the driving licence is the same, because they asked you to fill in everything on the form.

You normally see it in cases of signatures. Here they are just being twattish.

Unfortunately you don't have any right to a fixed penalty unless they offer it - they are entitled to send it to court if they want to be difficult. As said in court, or by post, you can request the magistrates sentence at fixed penalty levels., as they are guided to do in their sentencing guidelines if a fixed penalty isn't taken up for reasons unconnected to the offence.

That will either be £100 or £215, depending on whether they add £85 costs and £30 victim surcharge on top or incorporate it .

Assuming you are being honest and didn't draw a ***** on the form or anything this is the sort of incident that brings the police into disrepute and it is a shame PSDs don't crack down on it harder.

Edit: pen.is is censored? Well I never.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 1 Aug 2018 - 21:26
Post #19

Member No.: 18,483

Penis.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Melchett
post Thu, 2 Aug 2018 - 17:02
Post #20

Yes I'm being totally honest, I didn't deface the form at all, just neglected to fill in my DOB.

Apart from a couple of speeding offences in the 80's I've never had any dealings with the police & this has come as a bit of a surprise to be honest.

I totally acknowledge it's my cock up & that, technically, I didn't supply what they asked for but I didn't realise they could be so petty, after all I gave them my licence number
which had all the information they needed!

Ah well, live & learn etc etc.

As said in court, or by post, you can request the magistrates sentence at fixed penalty levels., as they are guided to do in their sentencing guidelines if a fixed penalty
isn't taken up for reasons unconnected to the offence.

I've certainly never dealt with a court, ever, so any suggestions on the correct phrasing to achieve the best outcome would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea how or what to say.

Thanks for the help!

This post has been edited by Melchett: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 - 17:03

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 06:49
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here