PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Followed by Mersey Tunnels 'police' after making a u-turn
A.Skywalker
post Wed, 6 May 2020 - 16:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,376

I've been a bit worried about this one since it happened - No NIP or summons yet but I think I was followed by a Mersey Tunnel Officer, and I've since found out that they fine people up to £1,000 for contravening their bylaws.

I was working in Birkenhead, an area I'm unfamiliar with; I got out of the Queensway alright, then somehow at the A41 island got badly confused with the road layout and poor signage, resulting my ending back up at the tunnels. Thought to myself that it didn't look like the best place to do a u-turn, so I kept my speed down looking out for a MTP officer; there were none to be seen. Plan B I kept an eye out for 'NO U TURN' signage, which there wasn't any (turns out there is, but only visible from the opposite direction of travel so I'd never have seen it). Given this, I went for it. I did not turn in the tunnel itself, see link for reference: https://imgur.com/a/bBw9H8O

A minute or two later I seen a car which looked to be Tunnels Police livery 50-100m behind me. They didn't stop me, but it seems weird for them to leave their post at the tunnel plaza, though I think they do have powers out to a mile away from the tunnels.

I looked on the Tunnels' site and apparently there are 2 bylaws which I would have contravened;
  • a driver passing through the plaza must cause their vehicle enter the tunnel on one side of the river and exit on the other.
  • A driver must not undertake a U-turn on or in any part of the approaches, plaza, or tunnel.
    "A driver found to contravene any bylaw may be responsible for a summary conviction and fine of up to £1,000"

Should I be concerned and does anyone have any experience with this force?
Am I liable for a motoring offence?
And what is the deal with crossing a SINGLE solid white line as I did here?

I would certainly be annoyed if anything come of it! as:
No sign to inform people that U-turns are not possible.
If someone inadventantly ends up at the tunnels through getting lost, there is seemingly no way to get back onto the public highway.
No police officers to be seen.
Found out from Google SV that there is a sign informing motorists of a muster point for police assistance, but the text is pretty small and positioned where a safe driver isn't going to be looking.
There is a sign saying bylaws in force, but no info on what those bylaws are without going onto the website.

This post has been edited by A.Skywalker: Wed, 6 May 2020 - 16:29
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
Advertisement
post Wed, 6 May 2020 - 16:24
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 6 May 2020 - 21:46
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,618

To be honest if they wanted to do anything about it, they would have stopped you.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:25
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here