PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Selling a classic vehicle to someone in Scotland
roythebus
post Wed, 19 Aug 2020 - 22:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,683

Someone I know based in England is trying to sell a classic vehicle to a potential buyer in Scotland. I've suggested they get a deposit with the balance payable on delivery, I've been asked to drive it to Scotland.

I know it's very unwise to part with a vehicle without getting payment in full, I'm concerned that the thing will get where it needs to go and there will be a dispute over condition or whatever, leaving me out of pocket for fuel and other travel expenses, and the seller without a vehicle!

I'm also aware that Scottish law on debt collecting differs to the English county court system of collecting bad debts.

How do you think my friend should proceed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Advertisement
post Wed, 19 Aug 2020 - 22:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
mickR
post Wed, 19 Aug 2020 - 22:26
Post #2

Member No.: 9,919

I would suggest the buyer collects the car and brings the cash with them or does an online transaction whille there. Do not under any circumstances part with the car before cash or transfer has gone through in full. Delivering a car to someone miles away on you own in the hope they are going to give you a wad of cash? ohmy.gif the risk of a guaranteedrandom mugging after you leave? huh.gif it happens a lot, many reported cases from gumtree !

This post has been edited by mickR: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 - 22:27

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 07:55
Post #3

Member No.: 42,618

There should be no debts, unless the buyer pays the agreed price just refund their deposit and forget it. I would also suggest the buyer should collect, if they want the vehicle delivered they should pay for your time and fuel in advance, so you know you won't be left out of pocket if he changes his mind or isn't happy with the purchase.

I would also avoid cash, if he's happy with the price when he sees the car and online bank transfer can be done on one's phone and it only takes seconds to go through. Also reduces the chances of spreading the virus.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
mickR
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 08:12
Post #4

I agree, cash isnt the best option as i saud there are risks, not to mention fake notes. But... not everyone does online banking i know many that dont.
As its a classic vehicle, Personally if it were me and the buyer wanted the vehicle and didnt want to collect it i would be asking for the full payment before delivery. Driving a classic vehicle some distance with the possibility of no sale and driving it back again all at cost to seller?? Utter madness.

OP, if theres a dispute why would the seller be left without a vehicle?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 08:21
Post #5

Member No.: 317

Get the buyer to pay a non refundable deposit (that will at least cover the cost of the return journey plus a bit extra), after inspection he pays the balance by bank transfer before taking ownership.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
mickR
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 08:36
Post #6

Im surprised anyone would suggest driving a classic car from england (somewhere we know not) to scotland hoping for a sale!!
If hes a genuine classic car buyer he will come and get it or come and view and pay before paying to get it delivered.
I think this is going to end in tears. To many jokers, time wasters, tyre kickers and outright scammers to risk it.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 10:26
Post #7

My thoughts entirely. It is a classic bus, the prospective buyer has already seen the bus on its barn in south east England. He wanted it driven to Scotland where he would give a bankers draft. That would leave the seller out of pocket if the bus got there and he changed his mind as it's likely to take about 15 hours driving to get there at 40 mph! Illegal for one driver in one day.

I'll advise the seller accordingly and she can advise the purchaser.

The bus was on ebay a few months ago and someone wanted to come round and pay "cash terday mayte" and was rather insistent. He didn't appear to have much knowledge of buses or indeed how to drive one! His calls were blocked. This time it's a private sale.

Whichever way it's done, he too doesn't have a licence to drive a bus so will have to employ a driver for delivery or collection.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 10:33
Post #8

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (roythebus @ Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 11:26) *
My thoughts entirely. It is a classic bus, the prospective buyer has already seen the bus on its barn in south east England. He wanted it driven to Scotland where he would give a bankers draft. That would leave the seller out of pocket if the bus got there and he changed his mind as it's likely to take about 15 hours driving to get there at 40 mph! Illegal for one driver in one day.

I'll advise the seller accordingly and she can advise the purchaser.

The bus was on ebay a few months ago and someone wanted to come round and pay "cash terday mayte" and was rather insistent. He didn't appear to have much knowledge of buses or indeed how to drive one! His calls were blocked. This time it's a private sale.

Whichever way it's done, he too doesn't have a licence to drive a bus so will have to employ a driver for delivery or collection.

If someone wants a classic they will pick it up. once they pay if you were so inclined you could offer your services to deliver his bus to him for a fee paid in advance including fuel and fare home

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 11:39
Post #9

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Thu, 20 Aug 2020 - 11:33) *
If someone wants a classic they will pick it up.

+1

I would also avoid a banker's draft, there's been quite a few cases of forged ones knocking around and there's no real reason to use bits of paper, have to go to the bank, wait for it to clear, when money can clear into your bank account electronically within a matter of seconds. You can always point out that for the sake of social distancing, it's better not to go to the bank at all. In fact my own bank has specifically asked me not to go to a branch unless absolutely necessary. Even if they don't have online or mobile banking, they can still use telephone banking.

If they won't do that either, I'd say fine, we'll drive to your bank and I'll wait outside while you go and arrange a transfer to my account. By the time he walks back out of the bank and over the road, you'll be able to see whether funds have cleared. No cleared funds, no car.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 21 Aug 2020 - 09:00
Post #10

Member No.: 317

Agree on the bankers draft, only accept that if they are willing to pay for expedited transfer and get it confirmed before handing over the keys.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
mickR
post Fri, 21 Aug 2020 - 22:23
Post #11

@cp and rookie. All that messing and worry, after driving .. a BUS all the way from SE England to Scotland ohmy.gif . I for one most definitely would not!!

This post has been edited by mickR: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 - 21:35

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Fri, 21 Aug 2020 - 22:38
Post #12

My partner has sent him an email setting out that she must have a deposit then the balance paid before the bus leaves her shed. Delivery charges, driver's wages etc are extra. She's now awaiting a reply from him.

I reckon the journey from near Ashford Kent to an hour's drive beyond Glasgow will probbaly take over 14 hours at about 40mph, so not do-able in a day's drive time. It's a long way back again.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Sat, 22 Aug 2020 - 09:48
Post #13

Roy how much would it cost the buyer to get it transported?

I assume you would know the risk of breakdown driving a classic bus on a journey of that distance? Who would be liable for those costs?

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 22 Aug 2020 - 15:15
Post #14

If they really want it, they'll come pick it up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
craig51
post Sat, 22 Aug 2020 - 20:29
Post #15

Member No.: 12,978

This is scam all over it.

I just bought a car from a private dealer in Nottingham.

I paid all monies upfront and once it was cleared i arranged for a covered transporter to bring it up to me (£800 in case you’re wondering).

If the buyer wants it, he will go and see it or pay for a 3rd party PPI and then delivery .

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Fri, 28 Aug 2020 - 22:56
Post #16

An update on this, my partner who is selling the bus has emailed the prospective buyer several times and gets no response. He seemed a genuine buyer, a dentist by profession and has been busy on the post-covid backlog of treatments.

However, no money, bus stays firmly locked in the shed in the garden!

+Quote Post
mickR
post Fri, 28 Aug 2020 - 23:03
Post #17

Roy i know of someone looking for a 70s 80s bus if this one fits the bill
Pm me

This post has been edited by mickR: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 - 23:03

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 18:36
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here