PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flashed for driving through a closed lane on M1, Lane marked as “X” just before my junction
Chumma40
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 18:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91,048

Evening ladies and gents

I was flashed this evening on the M1, junction 40. Lane 1 was closed. I was in lane 2, passed the stranded vehicle in lane 1 and moved across to lane 1 as I had to get off at the junction which is 100 yards away from the camera.

The camera flashed me even though I had passed the stranded vehicle and it also flashed about 10 cars behind me as well.

What am I to do in this situation? Legislation has changed recently so I will be given a £100 fine and 3 points. But I don’t think I have done anything wrong. I moved across to lane 1 after the stranded vehicle, and before the junction I had to get off at. What was I meant to do? Make the car fly like Harry Potter?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Or someone who has been in a similar situation.

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 18:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 18:54
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Chumma40 @ Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 19:33) *
Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wait and see if they write to you (if you are the registered keeper).

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 20:30
Post #3

Member No.: 317

Well you committed the offence (from what you say), the correct course of action was to drive to the next exit (assuming the closed lane was open by then), when you pulled across you didn’t KNOW there wasn’t a reason still ahead for the closure. The Police may or may not take a more reasonable approach than the law requires of them.

I think you meant you ‘wanted’ to take the next exit, not ‘had’ to, if it genuinely was ‘had’ (like the passenger had a gun to your head saying take it or else) you may have a defence.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
speedfighter23
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 21:22
Post #4

Member No.: 104,999

Just saw this article.
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/spot-100-fin...-closure-signs/

Apparently cameras can enforce red X's since June 10? And they will be active late summer after the adjustments have been made?

--------------------
Police Speeding Fines - Police 1 - speedfighter23 0
TFL traffic contraventions 0 - speedfighter23 2
Kensington and Chelsea 0 parking contraventions - speedfighter23 1
Brighton and Hove parking 0 - speedfighter23 1
Private PCN - Private Parking Solutions Limited 0 - speedfighter23 1

Tyre Puncture Pothole Claims:
0 Buckinghamshire Council - speedfighter23 1
0 TFL - speedfighter23 1

Result Pending:

1 Islington Council tyre puncture claim

+Quote Post
trubster
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 21:45
Post #5

Member No.: 17,078

I've seen the M1 S.Yorks / Derbyshire cameras flash people before for Red X offences (They weren't undertaking over the displayed limit either)

It's shocking how bad people are at acknowledging the red X's, let alone move over for them.

+Quote Post
speedfighter23
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 21:47
Post #6

Member No.: 104,999

Yes i've seen them a few times on the M25, as long as they are preceded by arrows telling you to move lanes in the previous gantry, no excuse to go over a red X

--------------------
Police Speeding Fines - Police 1 - speedfighter23 0
TFL traffic contraventions 0 - speedfighter23 2
Kensington and Chelsea 0 parking contraventions - speedfighter23 1
Brighton and Hove parking 0 - speedfighter23 1
Private PCN - Private Parking Solutions Limited 0 - speedfighter23 1

Tyre Puncture Pothole Claims:
0 Buckinghamshire Council - speedfighter23 1
0 TFL - speedfighter23 1

Result Pending:

1 Islington Council tyre puncture claim

+Quote Post
Chumma40
post Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 21:57
Post #7

Member No.: 91,048

[quote name='The Rookie' date='Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 21:30' post='1505510']
Well you committed the offence (from what you say), the correct course of action was to drive to the next exit (assuming the closed lane was open by then), when you pulled across you didn’t KNOW there wasn’t a reason still ahead for the closure. The Police may or may not take a more reasonable approach than the law requires of them.

My eyes told me there was no reason ahead for the closure. The lane reopened. I had gotten past the obstruction. If my junction was obstructed or closed for that matter, I’d have taken the next one. But the junction was open.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 08:30
Post #8

Member No.: 38,559

I think a lot will depend on the police.
And their decision will rest on your actions in leaving the motorway.
Which would seem not to have been a crossing lane manoeuvre.

My thoughts are that the camera would not flash if you crossed into the lane more then a few yards after it so it would seem that you passed underneath it, well before the junction.

+Quote Post
TryOut
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 11:08
Post #9

Member No.: 103,734

QUOTE (Chumma40 @ Mon, 5 Aug 2019 - 22:57) *
My eyes told me there was no reason ahead for the closure. The lane reopened. I had gotten past the obstruction. If my junction was obstructed or closed for that matter, I’d have taken the next one. But the junction was open.

When the lane is marked with a Red-X the lane is closed until a sign says 'END'

There are no conditions suggesting that drivers need to assess any obstruction, danger or otherwise.

TSRGD 2016, Schedule 15.
3.—(1) The significance of a light signal provided for at item 14 or 15 is that it conveys to vehicular traffic that such traffic—

(a)must not proceed in the lane or actively managed hard shoulder to which the sign relates; and

(b)must not enter that lane or hard shoulder until one of the signs mentioned at sub-paragraph (2), or the legend “END”, is displayed on a matrix sign in relation to that lane or hard shoulder.

There are exemptions but unless you fit them you must not enter the lane, no matter how much you are compelled not to miss your junction.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 11:53
Post #10

Member No.: 38,559

TBH, I would have little worry (except being more then normally cautious) in crossing a Red X lane for the junction.
May not be legal but...

However, this is my problem...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6751388,-...3312!8i6656
I am assuming Op was northbound at the junction?
I am also assuming that matrix board showed Lane 1 closed?
No sign of any flashy cameras when Googlecar went past last but this seems to be the gantry where it would seem sensible for one to be installed.
At least 400 yards from the actual junction judging by the countdown boards a little further on.
If that is where the camera was and vehicle passed it in lane 1, getting into the lane for the junction would not wash with the most lenient of magistrates.

+Quote Post
Spandex
post Tue, 6 Aug 2019 - 15:19
Post #11

Member No.: 87,665

My money is on them travelling Southbound, and seriously misjudging the distance from this camera Link to the junction. It's actually around 400 yards, but is the closest one with a camera on it.

Still plenty of distance to clear the camera before moving across the closed lane, if that's what you choose to do.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 12:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here