Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bus Lane infringement, Threads merged
Bluff cove
post Tue, 29 Aug 2017 - 20:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93,771

Evening folks,

Ok. Not sure of my chances on this one but it's always worth a try right?!

Last week I drove through a Bus Lane. No doubt I did. Circumstances are as follows; It used to be a road some while ago, that was exclusively for buses only, now, weirdly, there are no no entry signs at the start of the road so I drove down it. About 2/3rds of the way down there is a forced U turn road markings arrangement- presumably to allow for access to parking bays and the Cathedral. To me it's a bit of an unusual arrangement so much so that it took me a few seconds to work out what all signs meant. By this time I had passed the point of no return and carried on to the end of the road which wasn't far.

Afterwards I did feel that maybe I'd contravened but wasn't 100% sure. Last week I got the PCN.

It was totally an honest genuine error. I gained no advantage over other cars in the road, there weren't any. Also a few hours earlier I'd found out that an old good friend had passed away unexpectedly early after a terminal illness. To be frank I was really morose and down and not concentrating at my peak as I was preoccupied with those sad thoughts. I can prove to the council about this.

So my question is what representation approach should I use. Can they cancel a PCN for extenuating circumstances and an unusual layout?

Many thanks.

Links below

https://flic.kr/p/Y1fVpa

Dropped pin
near 1 Bishop Crispian Way, Portsmouth PO1 3HJ

https://goo.gl/maps/gE8Zb3CZ9tP2

Other PCN pages

https://flic.kr/p/XXTxSN

https://flic.kr/p/Y1CGAv

I know I made a contravention but would really appreciate any strategy for making formal reps.

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 - 21:47
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 59)
Advertisement
post Tue, 29 Aug 2017 - 20:23
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 10:04
Post #41

Member No.: 74,048

pastmybest is reading a thread and feels able to offer advice but I am not inclined to argue the toss with someone who wants to keep putting forward points that are likely doomed to failure and have no basis in law

if you have your own PCN post it and the other required documents you never know

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 12:26
Post #42

QUOTE (Neil B @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 02:23) *
QUOTE (Bluff cove @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 01:17) *
What about two accounts. Why do you think that? How would you know?

wink.gif

That's not an answer and you're incorrect biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 12:40
Post #43

QUOTE (copper's nark @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 10:30) *
I now understand your confusion on the 953 plate. As you rightly point out the buses, taxi and cycle sign is also 953 (the others are 953A and B). The TSRGD 2016 only authorises a time plate or an authorised vehicles plate (p 74-75 of the TSRGD 2016) meaning the ONLY plate is not authorised. You may also find this useful https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...al-guidance.pdf it's the latest one I have found. Para 11.16 p.86 relates to re-offering the discount. Annex D p.140 deals with incorrect signage. I can't find one specifically for bus lanes other than provisional guidance from 2005 and it's similar in nature to the above guidance.
I'm currently fighting a PCN I have received as a keeper of a vehicle with a local authority for a bus lane infringement. Previously, in dealings with councils parking enforcement, the time limit stops when informal and formal challenges are made, retaining the discount. I've had no reason to check as it was to my advantage (but see above). I know if it goes to the adjudicator you lose the discount.
I have just received an email from them the local authority acknowledging an error in their TRO. I'm waiting to hear if they will suspend enforcement. Furthermore, the signs and road markings are wrong and one of the signs was obscured for my PCN. The driver was following another car and that driver was following sat-nav directions. They even turned around on realising their error but still copped a ticket. Again, that's contrary to enforcement guidelines but do they care. That's why I have acquired an interest in bus lane regulations.
Unfortunately for me, the helpful advice from Neil B does not assist me but clearly assists your case.
Pastmybest has added no value to the discussion.

Thanks for or all this detailed referencing and information Copper I'm most grateful. I assumed the discount period is suspended pending first reps submission it has been in the past for me. I'll read the pdf in a mo.

When you mention that 953.2 Is not authorised for the 953 sign you refer to TSGRD 2016 p74-75 but it's legislation and in lawyers segmenting verbiage schedules/Parts etc I'm probably missing something! Can you direct me pls as I'd deffo want to include that as my document is ready for submission today! Cheers

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 12:43

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 12:54
Post #44

Ok, so a general precis of the composition and remarks of my reps;

• Mentioning the general layout of the road, the sad news I received; profuse apologies and saying it was an honest error etc.
  • Mentioning no Bus Gate road markings, no sign 616, no 'Only' on the advanced warning sign. Though that may be compliant after I understand the 953.2 properly! Mentioning the foliage.
  • Talking about 'the extra' day issue on the PCN. Including case law and references. The need for clarity. Using the 'pay 28 days from date of service' nonsense grammar.
  • Using the 'will' serve charge certificate language instead of 'may'. The 'must' provide details of buyer/seller when there is no qualification as per regs. General stuff about strict qdherqnce to sec 66 (3) of rta 1991.

Think that's enough lol

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 12:58

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 13:17
Post #45

QUOTE (Bluff cove @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 13:40) *
QUOTE (copper's nark @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 10:30) *
I now understand your confusion on the 953 plate. As you rightly point out the buses, taxi and cycle sign is also 953 (the others are 953A and B). The TSRGD 2016 only authorises a time plate or an authorised vehicles plate (p 74-75 of the TSRGD 2016) meaning the ONLY plate is not authorised. You may also find this useful https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...al-guidance.pdf it's the latest one I have found. Para 11.16 p.86 relates to re-offering the discount. Annex D p.140 deals with incorrect signage. I can't find one specifically for bus lanes other than provisional guidance from 2005 and it's similar in nature to the above guidance.
I'm currently fighting a PCN I have received as a keeper of a vehicle with a local authority for a bus lane infringement. Previously, in dealings with councils parking enforcement, the time limit stops when informal and formal challenges are made, retaining the discount. I've had no reason to check as it was to my advantage (but see above). I know if it goes to the adjudicator you lose the discount.
I have just received an email from them the local authority acknowledging an error in their TRO. I'm waiting to hear if they will suspend enforcement. Furthermore, the signs and road markings are wrong and one of the signs was obscured for my PCN. The driver was following another car and that driver was following sat-nav directions. They even turned around on realising their error but still copped a ticket. Again, that's contrary to enforcement guidelines but do they care. That's why I have acquired an interest in bus lane regulations.
Unfortunately for me, the helpful advice from Neil B does not assist me but clearly assists your case.
Pastmybest has added no value to the discussion.

Thanks for or all this detailed referencing and information Copper I'm most grateful. I assumed the discount period is suspended pending first reps submission it has been in the past for me. I'll read the pdf in a mo.

When you mention that 953.2 Is not authorised for the 953 sign you refer to TSGRD 2016 p74-75 but it's legislation and in lawyers segmenting verbiage schedules/Parts etc I'm probably missing something! Can you direct me pls as I'd deffo want to include that as my document is ready for submission today! Cheers

I get this now! Doh Sched 3 Part 2 and Sched 3 part 3.

Cheers!

Ok, submitted, fingers crossed. I'll update in due course wav.gif wav.gif

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 21:46

+Quote Post
copper's nark
post Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 00:14
Post #46

Member No.: 93,768

My bad. I should have pointed out the page as the information is all over the place. Remember the contravention was for being in a bus lane and the approach etc is for a bus gate. Have a look at the definition of a bus lane and the signs etc for that. They should have defined "bus gate" in the TRO. They have 56 days to reply to the challenge.
However, a Freedom of Information request takes 20 working days. So, if you were minded to do so, you could ask why that particular road is described as a bus lane but not marked as a bus lane. It may give you the heads up. Sometimes councils just can't admit they are wrong http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-...s-lane-13130899

+Quote Post
Mad Mick V
post Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 07:57
Post #47

Member No.: 11,355

Keep tickling for trout guys. No one's going to bite.

Mick

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 12:17
Post #48

QUOTE (copper's nark @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 01:14) *
My bad. I should have pointed out the page as the information is all over the place. Remember the contravention was for being in a bus lane and the approach etc is for a bus gate. Have a look at the definition of a bus lane and the signs etc for that. They should have defined "bus gate" in the TRO. They have 56 days to reply to the challenge.
However, a Freedom of Information request takes 20 working days. So, if you were minded to do so, you could ask why that particular road is described as a bus lane but not marked as a bus lane. It may give you the heads up. Sometimes councils just can't admit they are wrong http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-...s-lane-13130899

Thanks buddy. I may do the FOIR. It's a 'Bus Gate' to a Bus Street in effect. dontknow.gif

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 20:26
Post #49

Hi guys,

Got a formal notice of rejection today for this. She seemed to completely ignore my technical reps about the signage, no Bus Gate road markings and the 'Only' sign not compliant with sign 953 and just re-iterated the road layout and advance warning signs.

Will an adjudicator uphold the non compliant signage in my favour do you think?

I can pay the reduced fee still or go to the adjudicator and risk doubling it if I lose. sad.gif Threat of increased financial sanction to modulate behaviour. Pretty cynical psychology. No empathy for genuine errors. Bah!

****** off to be fair.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71043822@N08/shares/1sr12C

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 23:28

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 21:06
Post #50

Member No.: 54,455

I think in your case the discount is the best option having "driven" around the junction in several directions. Unfortunately, GSV has roadworks there, but there are prominent signs for no turning into the road in question

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 22:04
Post #51

QUOTE (Incandescent @ Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 22:06) *
I think in your case the discount is the best option having "driven" around the junction in several directions. Unfortunately, GSV has roadworks there, but there are prominent signs for no turning into the road in question

Thank you for the reply.

I am warming to the idea of coughing up but if they are utilizing non TSRGD signage, why should I I guess. Depends on whether the interpretation of the guidance is correct and whether it's mandatory or advisory to implement. She also ignored the PCN isuues I raised!

What do you mean by 'driven' around the junction in several directions?! I'm tired and my brain is slowing lol

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 23:23

+Quote Post
copper's nark
post Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 22:30
Post #52

Sorry to hear that Bluff. Similar position my side as well, although I'm still waiting for the formal judgement. The council "feel the intention is clear" was their response. I know for certain I'll be going to the Adjudicator but it's your call for your's. The TRO does not define a bus gate and neither does s144 Transport Act 2000 so it's open to interpretation. The bus taxi and cycle only legend 1048.4 was deleted by the TSRGD 2016 and is not prescribed or approved for new schemes such as this one. It should be bus only legend 1048.5. The TRO came into force after the 12 week grace period for using old signs and they clearly state the signage complies with the regs. You need to prove otherwise to the Adjudicator, hence the detail above.
s36 Road Traffic Act 1988 states
Drivers to comply with traffic signs.
(1)Where a traffic sign, being a sign—
(a)of the prescribed size, colour and type, or
(b)of another character authorised by the [F2national authority] under the provisions in that behalf of the M1Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984,has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving or propelling a vehicle who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence.
(2)A traffic sign shall not be treated for the purposes of this section as having been lawfully placed unless either—
(a)the indication given by the sign is an indication of a statutory prohibition, restriction or requirement, or
(b)it is expressly provided by or under any provision of the Traffic Acts that this section shall apply to the sign or to signs of a type of which the sign is one;and, where the indication mentioned in paragraph (a) of this subsection is of the general nature only of the prohibition, restriction or requirement to which the sign relates, a person shall not be convicted of failure to comply with the indication unless he has failed to comply with the prohibition, restriction or requirement to which the sign relates.
(3)For the purposes of this section a traffic sign placed on or near a road shall be deemed—
(a)to be of the prescribed size, colour and type, or of another character authorised by the [F3national authority] under the provisions in that behalf of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and
(b)(subject to subsection (2) above) to have been lawfully so placed,unless the contrary is proved. (this is the important bit)

Further resources to peruse:
The Secretary of State's Statutory Guidance to Local Authorities on the Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (chapter 10);
DfT Operational Guidance to Local Authorities: Parking Policy and Enforcement Annex D
PATROL_BUS_LANES_PAPER_16_7_12.pdf
Neil B has previously suggested the NtO was not right either so you have plenty of ammunition to use and it can all be done online.

This post has been edited by copper's nark: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 22:41

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 08:54
Post #53

QUOTE (Bluff cove @ Thu, 12 Oct 2017 - 23:04) *

Thank you for the reply.

I am warming to the idea of coughing up but if they are utilizing non TSRGD signage, why should I I guess. Depends on whether the interpretation of the guidance is correct and whether it's mandatory or advisory to implement. She also ignored the PCN isuues I raised!

What do you mean by 'driven' around the junction in several directions?! I'm tired and my brain is slowing lol

I drove around 'virtually' on my PC using the GSV link. You do have something to appeal on, but are you prepared to forego the discount ? I don't think GSV shows the signs as of 2017, so it's difficult to advise on adequacy of signs.

+Quote Post
copper's nark
post Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 09:17
Post #54

I'm beginning to think that councils are acting like Parking Eye et al. Councils have nothing to lose by rejecting appeals but everything to gain. The motorist loses a discount in any appeal while there are no costs payable by the councils if it goes to appeal. If the motorist pays the PCN then its a win for the council despite the concerns that they are not acting in accordance with the law or statutory guidance that allows them to run an industrial scale operation.
I have found most councils to be dishonest in their rejection notices.
Further reading:
The Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, Adjudication and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005 reg 10. Response to Representations

This post has been edited by copper's nark: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 09:29

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 16:22
Post #55

Omg! I'm such a doofus! I popped into the council today as I wasn't convinced I submitted the correct formal reps document, a PDF, to them in my online submission. This was due to the respondent not addressing my exact chapter and verse on signage and TSRGD refs and I had several versions that I had saved in Word before submitting that threw me. I submitted it in the early hours and was tired I guess.

Turns out I submitted a fragment of a draft in error! Even though I've had a formal rejection they said I can resubmit via email again!

Doh!

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 16:26

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Sat, 14 Oct 2017 - 00:23
Post #56

QUOTE (Incandescent @ Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 09:54) *

Thank you for the reply.

I drove around 'virtually' on my PC using the GSV link. You do have something to appeal on, but are you prepared to forego the discount ? I don't think GSV shows the signs as of 2017, so it's difficult to advise on adequacy of signs.

Hi.

Here is a link to the current signage there. One photo is from their camera the rest from me and my camera!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71043822@N08/shares/747H0V

+Quote Post
Incandescent
post Sat, 14 Oct 2017 - 07:35
Post #57

QUOTE (Bluff cove @ Sat, 14 Oct 2017 - 01:23) *
QUOTE (Incandescent @ Fri, 13 Oct 2017 - 09:54) *

Thank you for the reply.

Hi.

Here is a link to the current signage there. One photo is from their camera the rest from me and my camera!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71043822@N08/shares/747H0V

Looking at these, I think you're better off paying the discount.

+Quote Post
copper's nark
post Sat, 14 Oct 2017 - 20:14
Post #58

If you have the TRO from the TRO library (PO63B). Have a read of Schedule 5 p14 Bishop Crispian Way - Prohibition of motor vehicles except buses taxis and cycles. Also of note within the TRO is that there is no definition of a bus lane and no reference to the s144(5) Transport Act 2000.

The TRO does not make Bishop Crispian Way a bus lane (or a bus gate). The council have no authority to prosecute the prohibition of motor vehicles. You may wish to read the stated case regarding the flying motorcycle http://www.londontribunals.gov.uk/sites/de...ator%202010.pdf
Just for clarity, the Oxford Order had High St as a bus lane, whereas the Portsmouth Order does not.

Happy reading.

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Tue, 31 Oct 2017 - 16:54
Post #59

Hi Guys,

Just received the below response from my correct appeal.

I guess I'll cough up at the discount rate but am still debating whether to go to the adjuicator. Councils so have the upper hand though as they are not financial penalised even with a 'punt' on an arguable case. Must grumble.

https://flic.kr/p/G4k59V

I have also asked clarification on the 953.2 sign being with the 953 sign which TSRGD says it shouldn't to the Network management team!

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 - 21:55

+Quote Post
Bluff cove
post Wed, 15 Nov 2017 - 19:14
Post #60

QUOTE (Bluff cove @ Tue, 31 Oct 2017 - 17:54) *
Hi Guys,

Just received the below response from my correct appeal.

I guess I'll cough up at the discount rate but am still debating whether to go to the adjuicator. Councils so have the upper hand though as they are not financial penalised even with a 'punt' on an arguable case. Must grumble.

https://flic.kr/p/G4k59V

������

I have also asked clarification on the 953.2 sign being with the 953 sign which TSRGD says it shouldn't to the Network management team!

Got the below reply today from the Network Engineer

"Good morning,

I have been asked to respond to you on behalf of the parking team having advised them as to the correct signage to use for Bus lane enforcement. The sign to diagram 953 with supplementary plate to diagram 953.2 was the prescribed signage for this type of road/facility under the TSRGD 2002. This was the current guidance when the bus gate was installed at Bishop Crispian Way.

The TSRGD has since been revised and re-released in 2016 and has made the changes to the permitted supplementary plates as you detail in your email. The guidelines are not retrospective however; Local Authorities are not required to update all signage that may be affected by changes in the TSRGD as clearly this could prove to be extremely costly. It is instead expected that any new facility/traffic order be installed as per the latest directions and adjustments or refurbishments to existing facilities/signage be brought up to date at that point.

I hope this answers your enquiry.

Kind regards"

So he's saying the 953.2 is legal with the 953 sign as it was erected before TSRGD 2016 was released. I'm going to check the exact date of the TRO!

biggrin.gif

The TRO PO63b refers to TSRGD 2016 and is signed 19th July 2016. TSRGD 2016 was released on 22nd April.

Is he trying to pull a fast one?!!

This post has been edited by Bluff cove: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 - 19:33

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 23rd February 2018 - 12:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.