PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Possible NIP incoming, I'm out of the country from the 8th of June to the 13th of July...
Kelsier-7
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 17:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104,117

Hi everyone.

I was driving down the A68 in Durham, 61 or 62 on the speedometer at the top of the hill and I passed a dark blue speed camera parked behind a signpost a little way beyond the bottom of the hill. I saw it at the bottom of the hill and looked at my speedo, I'd crept up to 65 or 66 as I went down the hill....

So I'm expecting my first ever NIP... the trouble is.... I have a business trip to the States that will run from the 8th of June until the 13th of July so I will not be in the UK when the NIP arrives and subsequently most likely also when the 28 days have passed to respond to it.

I can ask my friend to check my mail this Sunday and next Sunday but how do I repsond to the NIP when out of the country?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Advertisement
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 17:27
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 17:39
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

If the speed limit was 60 and you were driving a car or motorbike (as opposed to, say, a lorry or bus which are subject to lower limits), then the enforcement threshold would be 68 mph, meaning that even if you were clocked at 67 mph, you won't hear anything. Add the fact that most speedos over-read by a couple of mph and you were probably only doing 64.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Kelsier-7
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 17:49
Post #3

Hi cp8759,

Thank you for the comfort. I am hoping that the cameraman in the van gave me some leniency and used those guidelines but unfortunately, they are only guidelines and not the lawful threshold sad.gif I stopped at a motorway services after getting to the M1 and downloaded a speedometer for my phone, stuck it on the hands-free cradle and set off. Turns out my car's speedo is 3mph over at 66mp so 66 is 63, if the phone app is accurate that is.

I'm hoping not to hear anything but should one come through, I'm not sure what to do.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 17:54
Post #4

Member No.: 42,618

It's nothing to do with the person in the van giving you leniency, the ticket office that sends out the NIPs won't send anything below 68 mph. This is a question of force policy and neither the camera operator nor the ticket office can decide, on a whim, to ignore their force's own policy.

We had a case previously where someone in Kent got a NIP for doing 76 on the motorway, they just called the ticket office and they said it was an error and it would be cancelled and that was the end of that. To put it into context, if you went through a static speed camera at 66 in a 60, it would not flash you.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Kelsier-7
post Sun, 2 Jun 2019 - 17:55
Post #5

Oh, well that's making me feel slightly less worried now. Thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:24
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here