PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Ran red light by accident, got T boned- advice much appreciated., Threads merged
surfer91919
post Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 14:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,970

Hi all,

I'm new here and would be very grateful for your opinions on my predicament.

Last Sunday I was driving to the leisure centre on my own (where I also work in the attached college). This involves crossing a roundabout which I've driven probably over a thousand times. Unfortunately on this day I had a lapse of concentration and ran a red light. I literally have no memory of what colour the light was but it must have patently been red. The lights are on timers which vary depending on traffic on the different roads. In the morning when I usually drive on this roundabout, you typically go straight through after waiting at the first set of lights. On this day I waited at the first set of lights but ran through the second set which must have been on red.
I also didn't see the car coming to T bone me as i'd have had to have been driving along with my head over my left shoulder to see (it wouldn't have been visible in my mirrors either).

As I was exiting the roundabout (obviously crossing a lane which I shouldn't have been in) I was struck on my passenger side rear wheel by another vehicle driven by a nurse on her way to work (no other passengers). This caused my car to spin round around 180 degrees. The first point of contact was my rear nearside wheel and the damage included both the doors being totally bent in, the B pillar, edge of the roof and sill all damaged/ crushed in- a write off for sure considering it's a 21 year old mercedes C class. After the police had left the other car (Ford Edge Titanium) drove away without any obvious severe damage- nothing hanging off, no broken lights or issues with the radiator. The bumper looked a bit frilly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's written off though. Air bags did not deploy in either car.
Luckily there were no injuries whatsoever reported, even I was fine despite taking the lions share of the damage and already having chronic whiplash which flares up if I neglect doing yoga.

Naturally I'm mortified and am questioning my basic competence in life and feeling very low and depressed. If it had been a motorcyclist I'm not sure I would be able to live with myself. As it is I have been considering moving to a city for a new life where I wouldn't need to drive anymore.

There were no aggravating factors and I was very apologetic. No ambulace or fire brigade attendance. A passer by called the cops. I had a 0 reading on a breath test and everything with my car checked out fine in terms of insurance and roadworthiness. I called my breakdown recovery to collect my car and take it back to my workshop.

The traffic cop said he would report me for careless driving and running a red light but that I should realise that noone was hurt. I admitted fault and that i must have run a red light by accident but when I was asked by the cop what colour the light was I replied that I didn't register it but that I accept it must have been red.

I currently have no active points on my licence (held for 12 years), I had an sp30 over 3 years ago for doing 80 in a 60 at 2am on an A road. I also had a minor scrape in a car park around the same time (noone in the car, minimal damage). Never had an awareness course.

Can anyone advise what the punishment is likely to be for this? I've already read the ACPO guidelines and sentencing guidance on careless driving and this offence appears to be at the lower end of the spectrum and, were it not for being reported for two offence codes for the one illegal action, I may possibly be offered an awareness course as the ACPO advocate driver education whenever possible for offences reuslting in collisions which didn't have serious consequences.

I've been advised by a friend who's a solicitor that if I have to attend the magistrates court that I should wear a suit, be extremely remorseful (I would be/ am anyway), emphasise the extreme hardship and loss of employment which a ban would result in and accept a fine (according to sentencing guidelines around a weeks wages) and points (he thought 4-6 points).

I'm not looking for a way of getting out of this in any way, just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience.

I was a passenger in a car around 4 years ago which was driving at 65mph in thick fog on a B road. Two of the other passengers asked the driver to slow down, which he ignored, then spun the car on a corner causing it to hit a hedge and roll. The girl in the front passenger seat has a lifelong elbow injury from this as well as whiplash and I also had whiplash. He got an awareness course. As such I feel it would be unfair if I was to be punished more severely but I'm not sure if it would be worth appealing if were to be?

The only observations I've had since is that I don't think there'd have been a collision if there was a stream of cars in that lane when approached the white line. There's no way I'd have plowed head on into a stream of cars. it's one thing misssing a traffic light but another to plow into a load of cars. Once I'd missed the red light there was very little I could've done to avoid a collision as the oncoming car was hard to see and I was already travelling away from the oncoming car at the point of impact. I don't think she braked at all looking at the damage (30 limit, seemed about a 30mph impact). Not criticising her as I shouldn't have been there, just observing.

Any thoughts much appreciated

This post has been edited by surfer91919: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 14:45
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Advertisement
post Fri, 16 Nov 2018 - 14:32
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
surfer91919
post Thu, 22 Nov 2018 - 14:55
Post #21

So I recently got T boned/ rear quartered by another car (my own fault) and I've heard back from the assessors today.

They've offered me £1075 for the car, or £860 if I want to keep it. Minus excess of £225 in both cases

Car is a 1997 Mercedes C250 TD Sport auto estate, was in well above average condition for its age. It also has a remap and a much bigger turbo making around 260hp.

With this offer to me it's a no brainer to keep the car for parts (I have another one I'm using now), as a reminder not to drive through red lights and for the fact the upgrade kit on it is worth near £500 on its own.
Chances are I won't be able to afford insurance on such a modified car for some years so I should be able to get some good dollar back for the upgrade setup which I made myself and which has been faultless for 40,000 miles of daily use.

My question is, is there any room for negotiation here or is this offer the most I'll get?

Never been in this situation before so I have said I'll phone back tomorrow and let them know how I want to proceed.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

This post has been edited by surfer91919: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 - 15:13

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 22 Nov 2018 - 15:48
Post #22

Member No.: 38,559

Always room to negotiate.
Check local autotrader adverts and the like for similar car/age/mileage/condition which will give an idea of what you would have to pay to replace.
Traders will generally be higher then private sales but will give an idea of value that you should be aiming for (or more if you can get it)
Keep a listing and get photos/screenshots so you have "evidence"
Remember, insurance want to pay out as little as possible and will be treating value as what car would have been worth if sold.
You need to persuade them that the value is what it will cost to buy another, like for like.
Mods may skew this a little but if you are intending to keep the car, not a lot.

The other option, if repairable/not significantly structural is to shop about for repair quotes.
I can guarantee that small repair shops (and maybe large ones) will be far cheaper then prices insurance will be working on. Which may bring it back to economical to repair.
Or at least to repair and sell on as a Cat C/D (or whatever the new grades are, N and S I think)

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 - 15:52

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Thu, 22 Nov 2018 - 17:31
Post #23

Member No.: 20,731

Don't forget to inform the DVLA if you do scrap it--don't assume the insurance company will take care of it--as the responsibility for dealing with/terminating the registration lies with the RK.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 15:05
Post #24

Cheers both.

I have been offered £1175 for the car now after trying some bargaining and have kept it as I can raise atleast half of that again from the parts. They didn't want to go any higher as its already been written off once.

On another note... I am back on the road in another car now (standard C250 TD). Do I need to tell the new insurance company about the as yet unfinalised claim? I assumed until I know the total value of the claim that I don't... in the same way that I don't need to tell them I got reported for two offences until I am actually prosecuted?

This post has been edited by surfer91919: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 15:05

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 15:13
Post #25

Member No.: 38,559

I would have thought yes but it depends on the questions that the new insurance company ask.
"Have you had any accidents in last 5 years?" "Have you had any claims in last 5 years?" are common and both would require you to declare this accident/claim.
Golden rule is tell the truth, don't lie but do not need to admit to anything they do not ask.
And read the questions carefully, you do not want to be disowned by new company for not disclosing something they asked about.

Is that £1175 and keep the car?
Sounds like a result from here, as long as you are happy with price.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 15:15

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 15:25
Post #26

Member No.: 1,326

My last car was written off after someone dented the bumper going into the back of me in 2004. They gave me the full value and I kept it for £50, using it for the next 6 years.

I have never had a car written off twice, though. Sounds like a reasonable deal.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 18:01
Post #27

Member No.: 96,238

Sounds a good deal if you're not going to put it back on the road

Read the instructions on the V5 carefully regarding how to notify the DVLA when it's scrapped
Don't leave the job to the scrap dealer

I had a lot of grief when I bought back a car that my daughter had shunted
It only needed a couple of wheels and a track-rod replaced where she had hit the kerb

The problem came when it had to be taxed the following year
It had, in the meanwhile, been added to the written-off database as Category C and needed an identity check
This was going to require replacing at least two of the door locks as well as a clutch and it was no longer viable

SORNED it but forgot to renew a year later
The DVLA didn't notice but it left me with the car on the drive for years unable to do anything that would put it on their radar

The decision was finally made when we put the house up for sale
Our mechanic took the car and guaranteed that it would disappear without trace

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 18:58
Post #28

Member No.: 90,659

We used to use an old MK3 Golf which for some reason was a magnet for scrapes that weren't our fault over the 150k miles we did - including when someone hit the rear end and it demolished the front of someone's house.

Each time it could be driven away and patched up with a Mig, although it did look a bit sorry by the end!

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 19:47
Post #29

So some of you will be aware I was involved in an at fault accident a couple of weeks ago.

I notifited my insurer at the time correctly of the incident (Adrian Flux) and asked to have my replacement car added to policy. If I fitted the alloys and the remapped ECU from the written off car they wanted £250 extra to add it on for the rest of the year, or around £1000 more if it was unmodified. Go figure... I thought no worries, I'll cancel the policy and get my money back of what was left of the policy and insure with someone else. When I tried to do this they said they could cancel it but that there'd be no refund due to the ongoing claim. I said cancel it anyway, in my mind because the wrecked car wouldn't be used again. Mistake number 1.

I've been incredibly stressed and not thinking in a joined up manner and had been focusing getting an MOT on the replacement car which took a good couple of days work which I did myself.

I insured with a new provider but didn't mention anything about the incident which just happened. I don't know why, but I thought that until a claim was finalised it was much like the offences I was reported for- not on record so no need to declare.

The combo of getting sent a copy of the claimants claim form plus getting an email from my new insurer about the dummy quotes I'd been doing (yet another mistake) with my own details made me realise i needed to declare what i imagine is an unsettled claim? Anyway, I phoned them pre-emtively today to say I'd received paper work for a claim against me which i needed to declare to them.

From what I can see i have now comitted a non disclosure breach on contract and could face having the new policy cancelled. I declared everything correctly to adrian flux but then cancelled my policy with adrian flux because they wanted £250 more to insure my replacement car- when being told later in the same phone call that they wouldn't refund my policy I just didn't compute that I could've then agreed to the £250 extra and had almost a years cover on my replacement car- with them obviously knowing about the claim being lodged against me.
Instead I went and insured with a new insurer for £300 (threw away £50+) and retardedly thought I didn't need to disclose the claim until it was completed, simular to not need to report offences you've been reported for but not charged with.

To be clear, the incident which I have not disclosed upon inception happened in another car with another insurer and I only got any written notification of the claim etc a couple of days ago. The new policy is around 13 days old.

I genuinly think I need to see a doctor of some sort as I seem to have just completely screwed myself over for the next 15 years for motoring :/
Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow and be able to just pay more premium to keep them happy. If not, I am screwed.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 20:08
Post #30

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (surfer91919 @ Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 19:47) *
So some of you will be aware I was involved in an at fault accident a couple of weeks ago.

Yes. You already have 2 threads running:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=124276&hl=

and

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=124143&hl=

We have a rule here - one case, one thread.

A mod will merge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OUYSINEP
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 21:02
Post #31

Member No.: 100,806

I notifited my insurer at the time correctly of the incident (Adrian Flux) and asked to have my replacement car added to policy. If I fitted the alloys and the remapped ECU from the written off car they wanted £250 extra to add it on for the rest of the year, or around £1000 more if it was unmodified. Go figure... I thought no worries, I'll cancel the policy and get my money back of what was left of the policy and insure with someone else. When I tried to do this they said they could cancel it but that there'd be no refund due to the ongoing claim. I said cancel it anyway, in my mind because the wrecked car wouldn't be used again. Mistake number 1.

I've been incredibly stressed and not thinking in a joined up manner and had been focusing getting an MOT on the replacement car which took a good couple of days work which I did myself.

I insured with a new provider but didn't mention anything about the incident which just happened. I don't know why, but I thought that until a claim was finalised it was much like the offences I was reported for- not on record so no need to declare.

The combo of getting sent a copy of the claimants claim form plus getting an email from my new insurer about the dummy quotes I'd been doing (yet another mistake) with my own details made me realise i needed to declare what i imagine is an unsettled claim? Anyway, I phoned them pre-emtively today to say I'd received paper work for a claim against me which i needed to declare to them.

From what I can see i have now comitted a non disclosure breach on contract and could face having the new policy cancelled. I declared everything correctly to adrian flux but then cancelled my policy with adrian flux because they wanted £250 more to insure my replacement car- when being told later in the same phone call that they wouldn't refund my policy I just didn't compute that I could've then agreed to the £250 extra and had almost a years cover on my replacement car- with them obviously knowing about the claim being lodged against me.
Instead I went and insured with a new insurer for £300 (threw away £50+) and retardedly thought I didn't need to disclose the claim until it was completed, simular to not need to report offences you've been reported for but not charged with.

To be clear, the incident which I have not disclosed upon inception happened in another car with another insurer and I only got any written notification of the claim etc a couple of days ago. The new policy is around 13 days old.

I genuinly think I need to see a doctor of some sort as I seem to have just completely screwed myself over for the next 15 years for motoring :/
Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow and be able to just pay more premium to keep them happy. If not, I am screwed.

You could face a lifetime of misery as voided policies have no expiry on record, so if an insurer asks have you EVER had a policy void or cancelled, you must asnwer truthfully as this info sits on the information data base that all insurers can access kind of like police PNC for insurers.
If a insurer asks for ANY pending convictions or endorsements you must tell them. If memory serves, they ask for both Date of offence and Date of conviction and the amount of fine when you are endorsed with the points and fine so find out your telling lies in many ways.

Its best to be upfront. As you have now discovered.

This post has been edited by OUYSINEP: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 21:03

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 21:56
Post #32

QUOTE (OUYSINEP @ Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 21:02) *

You could face a lifetime of misery as voided policies have no expiry on record, so if an insurer asks have you EVER had a policy void or cancelled, you must asnwer truthfully as this info sits on the information data base that all insurers can access kind of like police PNC for insurers.
If a insurer asks for ANY pending convictions or endorsements you must tell them. If memory serves, they ask for both Date of offence and Date of conviction and the amount of fine when you are endorsed with the points and fine so find out your telling lies in many ways.

Its best to be upfront. As you have now discovered.

Yup, and I could've avoided it ALL and saved myself 50 quid by shoving some big alloys and a remap onto the replacement car and staying with Adrian Flux. Such is the condition of my mind at the moment that I wasn't even able to work that out til today. Been so pre-occupied getting a car back on the road at all. I doubt making the case to the new insurer that I actually paid extra to take out this new policy would help- it was in my financial interests to stick with my fully informed previous insurer so it's not as though this non disclosure has benefited me financially, which is the reason most people attempt to not disclose incidents.

They didn't ask for any pending convictions- i've heard nothing from the police or courts yet and my licence is still unendorsed- i've seen multiple people advising not to declare alleged offences to insurance companies until you are actually prosecuted and have your licence endorsed. Upon getting my licence endorsed I would notify insurance immediately like I did with my expired SP30.

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/ins...s-simple-guide/

This says I only need to declare convictions? I've not been convicted of anything in relation to what happened 2-3 weeks ago.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 22:01
Post #33

Member No.: 14,720

Did they ask about accidents in the last 3 or 5 years.

If yes, did you told them of your recent accident?

This post has been edited by peterguk: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 22:04

--------------------

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 00:07
Post #34

Member No.: 20,731

You don't have to volunteer any information, but it is extremely unlikely that the new insurer did not ask about any accidents or claims when the policy was taken out. There will be voice recordings, and they can be reviewed if necessary. Are you within the 14-day cooling off period for the new policy? Maybe you can (or can beg them to let you) cancel, to avoid them cancelling first.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 10:06
Post #35

So i phoned them up today and grovelled and they were really nice.
Validation of policy accepted and they added in the pending claim which automatically goes down as at fault (just as well seeing as it will be fault). Naturally i didn't say anything about the police side of it as they didn't ask and I've not been charged or prosecuted for anything yet and may have a chance of an awareness course. They've checked CUE and my licence details so that aspect should be satisfied. They said that they wouldn't cancel the policy or void it for something they would've otherwise insured. If I'd said I'd been driving 20 years and had only been driving a year, then that is something they simply wouldn't insure and would then cancel the policy. Also it appears that the ongoing claim is not yet logged on CUE so it looks good that i informed them well before they found out as such. They've charged me an extra £117 for logging the recent ongoing claim.

I assume this means disaster averted and i now just need to keep them updated with anything new which happens (i avoid driving now and when i do i drive at elderly person speeds contantly checking everything) or any unpleasant letters i get in the post from the cops or my old insurers.

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 10:39
Post #36

QUOTE (peterguk @ Thu, 29 Nov 2018 - 22:01) *
Did they ask about accidents in the last 3 or 5 years.

If yes, did you told them of your recent accident?

Yes they did, at the time I failed to disclose it for no financial gain (yet more pure stupidity) but it appears to not be a serious policy cancellation issue provided that it was a risk they would normally have insured. I've now told them and they've accepted more money from me to continue cover on the basis of my having an ongoing at fault claim. They are as up to date as I am now with regards what I've actually had in writing with regards this accident and I answered all their questions truthfully on the phone.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 11:28
Post #37

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (surfer91919 @ Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 10:39) *
I failed to disclose it for no financial gain

I've now told them and they've accepted more money from me

Erm, so you would have had a financial gain!

Alls well that ends well though.

I still disclose that I had insurance declined even though it was nearly 25 years ago, but then as it was simply that they wouldn't insure the car for someone under 29 it has no impact on my premiums.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 11:38
Post #38

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 11:28) *
I failed to disclose it for no financial gain

I've now told them and they've accepted more money from me

Erm, so you would have had a financial gain!

Alls well that ends well though.

I still disclose that I had insurance declined even though it was nearly 25 years ago, but then as it was simply that they wouldn't insure the car for someone under 29 it has no impact on my premiums.

On that policy yes, but adrian flux offered to insure my new car for an extra 250 for 11 months cover when it was apparent my car was a gonner (I'd only just renewed with them when i had the accident). Because I'm at fault they keep the premium I'd only just paid (350) so i would've saved myself around £150 by staying with them. As this new policy which i nearly screwed up cost me £310 initially it should've been a no brainer to stay with flux, but then i don't seem to have a brain atm do i!
Flux told me at the end of the phone call that i could'nt get anything back on the premium that I'd recently paid and i just didn't compute that all things given i should stick with them, pay the extra 250 and modify the car to suit the policy.
The condition was i had to modify the car, fit a remap etc as my old policy was a modified car policy.

This post has been edited by surfer91919: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 - 11:41

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 13:43
Post #39

Heard back from the police yesterday via letter, they have offered me a national driver altertness course as an alternative to proceedings at a cost of £176. I will ofcourse book and pay for a course first thing Monday morning. What a relief, though slightly worryingly they say they may withdraw the offer at their whim... Has this happened to anyone before for no reason?!

Does anyone know what the score is with the fact that i have a full licence but have been driving an automatic for the last 8 years and hundreds of thousands of miles? I have no access to a manual vehicle to refresh and it's highly likely that I'd be unduly distracted and at some point stall the car if i have to do the practical in a manual car.

Cheers

+Quote Post
mickR
post Sun, 6 Jan 2019 - 13:49
Post #40

Member No.: 9,919

Is it not a classroom based course?? wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Wednesday, 23rd January 2019 - 06:34
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.